Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90

Thread: Are We Still Blaming Colangelo??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Are We Still Blaming Colangelo??

    This team has sucked for the majority of it's existence. Colangelo hasn't been here the whole time. It's the losing environment and the impatience of Toronto..of Ontario..even of Canada. It's that MLSE is(was?)viewed, first and foremost as a business. As long as it's making money, why change anything? Sort of the if it's not broke, don't fix it.

    Colangelo seemed to twist and turn and change directions like every year. That's not normal..

    It's going to take a strong-minded individual that will stick to their guns and someone who has a high tolerance and patience level. Someone who's goal and only goal is to win and do whatever it takes to achieve that.

    Based on that other thread with the Leiweke interview article, he sounds like just the individual described above.

    The only question is if he crumbles under the pressure..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When the season closed Colangelo had his stamp on every player on roster. He is responsible for that roster so if fans want to blame him for the current rendition of the Toronto Raptors and their failures then they are correct to do so.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The long version:

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    When the season closed Colangelo had his stamp on every player on roster. He is responsible for that roster so if fans want to blame him for the current rendition of the Toronto Raptors and their failures then they are correct to do so.
    The short version:

    Yes.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    When the season closed Colangelo had his stamp on every player on roster. He is responsible for that roster so if fans want to blame him for the current rendition of the Toronto Raptors and their failures then they are correct to do so.
    Then give him credit for when we won the atlantic division and made the playoffs in consecutive years..you're going to say you did, when that happened. Which is fair. But, if he's so "incompetent" as seems to be the consensus. How'd he do that?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Then give him credit for when we won the atlantic division and made the playoffs in consecutive years..you're going to say you did, when that happened. Which is fair. But, if he's so "incompetent" as seems to be the consensus. How'd he do that?
    I didn't say he was incompetent, he won two executive of the year awards. I said he deserves criticism about this current team.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I didn't say he was incompetent, he won two executive of the year awards. I said he deserves criticism about this current team.
    I knew you were going to say that. LEtme ask then, if you think he's incompetent? Wnat's your opinion on him?

    Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    He just made too many short-sighted moves.

    Why did he cancel the rebuild so early?

    Going all in for Nash was terrible. That saddled us with Fields' contract, and is also one of the main reasons why Ross (a supposedly NBA-ready SG) was drafted. Then we traded our 2013 1st for Lowry. And then during the season he made another short sighted move by acquiring Rudy Gay.

    If he does none of these things, first of all we take the best prospect on the board, Drummond. We're likely WELL out of the playoffs and have a top 5 or so pick in the 2013 draft, putting us in play for Noel, Burke, McLemore, McCollum etc. Let's say we go point guard (likely, since Jose would be expiring and we'd have Ed Davis still). Could still make the Bargnani trade and amnesty Kleiza as well. Fill out the roster with D-League/international projects.

    Now you have:

    PG: McCollum/Project
    SG: DeRozan/Project
    SF: Novak/Project
    PF: Amir/Ed/Project
    C: Valanciunas/Drummond/Camby

    You have tons of flexibility and a team that can very easily tank for the 2014 draft. You deal Ed for a late pick in 2014 (he would be due for an extension that makes no sense with Amir/Val/Drumm on board for cheap. Buyout camby's last year.

    In 2014 maybe you get lucky and get Wiggins #1 overall, and you're free to use the late pick on a guy like McDermott.

    PG: McCollum
    SG: DeRozan/McDermott
    SF: Wiggins/Novak
    PF: Drummond/Amir
    C: Valanciunas

    That's what the team would look like with tons of flexibility in both 2014 and 2015 free agency.
    The draft ain't the most trustworthy method, as proven in the past.
    Last edited by LBF; Tue Jul 16th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I knew you were going to say that. LEtme ask then, if you think he's incompetent? Wnat's your opinion on him?



    The draft ain't the most trustworthy method, as proven in the past.
    no one has ever said the draft was a 100% way to win. but clearly its where contending teams tend to find their winners when properly built around them.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I knew you were going to say that. LEtme ask then, if you think he's incompetent? Wnat's your opinion on him?
    He's educated. He was raised up in the business and he knows the business.

    The basketball system he prefers has been proven to not produce true contenders.

    In Toronto he stuck to this flawed approach for his first contract and changed a little on the extension, probably due to pressures of job security. The shift in focus did not serve the team well because he did not make the right roster changes.

    He's guilty of asking his coach to adapt to the roster instead of giving his coach the players which fit the coach's comfort zone. Colangelo controls who is the coach and so there is no excuse for this.

    If this were all taking place in some sort of Shakespearean alter-universe we could probably call him a tragic hero.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    His vision was a failure, yet he was not willing to agree to the public that his decisions were not sound.

    This not only made him look conceited, but it made us question is capacity to function as a good GM/Pres.

    He ultimately led to his own demise.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Yes.
    This is the correct answer.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    This team has sucked for the majority of it's existence. Colangelo hasn't been here the whole time. It's the losing environment and the impatience of Toronto..of Ontario..even of Canada. It's that MLSE is(was?)viewed, first and foremost as a business. As long as it's making money, why change anything? Sort of the if it's not broke, don't fix it.

    Colangelo seemed to twist and turn and change directions like every year. That's not normal..

    It's going to take a strong-minded individual that will stick to their guns and someone who has a high tolerance and patience level. Someone who's goal and only goal is to win and do whatever it takes to achieve that.

    Based on that other thread with the Leiweke interview article, he sounds like just the individual described above.

    The only question is if he crumbles under the pressure..
    I think since the bold will always be true, we can always blame him.

    I mean, things can go badly even with the best laid plans. BEST LAID PLANS. Colangelo never really had any plan whatsoever. So if things can go badly with even the best laid plans, how the fuck are they supposed to ever go well with no real plan?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    yes we are. can I close this thread now?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    yes we are. can I close this thread now?
    hey atleast this is one of the few threads in RR history that will probably end up with above 90% consensus

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    first of all the roll of BC and leiweke aren't even the same. So I'm not sure why you're comparing them. Secondly, colangelo DID stick to his guns (re: waiting for bargnani to break out) right to the end.
    Not comparing them. I'm saying your blaming Colangelo, when it's ownership and fans that were/was the real issue..Colangelo was the scape goat. Before him it was Triano and before him it was Mitchell and prior it was Babcock..etc.,etc..

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    yes we are. can I close this thread now?
    As soon as you close the 25 page one about a guy who failed his physical and the one about Aaron Gray getting engaged and so on..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Not comparing them. I'm saying your blaming Colangelo, when it's ownership and fans that were/was the real issue..Colangelo was the scape goat. Before him it was Triano and before him it was Mitchell and prior it was Babcock..etc.,etc..

    As soon as you close the 25 page one about a guy who failed his physical and the one about Aaron Gray getting engaged and so on..
    I have no idea what you are referring to. It's the fans fault that the team isn't good?

    And isn't this thread really just a continuation of the Leiwenke article? Your opinion is valued, but it doesn't need its own thread.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I have no idea what you are referring to. It's the fans fault that the team isn't good?

    And isn't this thread really just a continuation of the Leiwenke article? Your opinion is valued, but it doesn't need its own thread.
    Neither does half the shit on the board..but, it's the off-season and there ain't much else to talk about.

    I'm referring to toronto sports fans. They're awful. They don't know what they want..itwas brang up in the other thread, when posters were saying "does toronto deserve a pro basketball(hockey) team?"
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie chrischris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    yes we are. can I close this thread now?
    thead> Thanks for reminding us of your super moderator closing powers...but keep in mind this is the off season and there aren't many discussions to read on the raps. Doesn't really encourage people to post their thoughts does it?

    LBF> Thanks for creating a thread that gave me something to read for the last 10 minutes.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote chrischris wrote: View Post
    thead> Thanks for reminding us of your super moderator closing powers...but keep in mind this is the off season and there aren't many discussions to read on the raps. Doesn't really encourage people to post their thoughts does it?

    LBF> Thanks for creating a thread that gave me something to read for the last 10 minutes.
    chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll it was a joke. Something I do quite often here. You will get used to it...or be banned :P

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote chrischris wrote: View Post
    thead> Thanks for reminding us of your super moderator closing powers...but keep in mind this is the off season and there aren't many discussions to read on the raps. Doesn't really encourage people to post their thoughts does it?

    LBF> Thanks for creating a thread that gave me something to read for the last 10 minutes.
    Ya, sure man. Not sure if that's sarcasm or not. I don't think so..but, maybe?

    Regardless, I just sometimes like to stir the pot a bit. Put a different opinion out there than the consensus..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •