Kendall Marshall...go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not a sucker punch. If you interpreted that way, so be it. I'd look at it more like a tongue in cheek reply. Think about it, your reply makes no sense I can think of if you believe DeRozan can add a 3 pt shot to his game.

I'd like to hear the rationale behind why Marshall with just 48gms, 3 starts, 701mins, 1 year NBA experience, and 22 in August can't add a 3pt shot to his game while DD with 304gms, 292 starts, 9728mins, 4 years NBA experience, and 24 in August can add a 3pt shot to his game.
    Really? Odd then that when someone else questioned it.............

Marz wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm from the DeRozan thread.
    ........... you apologize to the person it wasn't even directed at:

It is.

I apologize.

But if it is good for the goose it should be good for the gander too and most of the examples of players adding a 3pt shot to their game after a few years in the league are actually PGs.
    Dude, you got your nose out of joint because I question your ever-lasting rant about minutes played.... 3p%

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
      Really? Odd then that when someone else questioned it.............

........... you apologize to the person it wasn't even directed at:

Dude, you got your nose out of joint because I question your ever-lasting rant about minutes played.... 3p%
      I apologized for bringing another thread topic in to this one.

I consider tongue in cheek to be a synonym of sarcasm. I'm not an English major so I might have that interpretation wrong.

I don't have anything out of joint p00ka. This is the 2nd time in the last few days you've made this type of comment - to which the first reply I was being 100% sincere. I don't consider you a mortal RR enemy but it sure seems like you do with me.

Now why can't Marshall improve his three point shooting?

Comment

I should add that Marshall's height, 6' 4", would help minimize the slow feet on the defensive side, given a good coaching style.

Comment

Yawn

Comment

Not a sucker punch. If you interpreted that way, so be it. I'd look at it more like a tongue in cheek reply. Think about it, your reply makes no sense I can think of if you believe DeRozan can add a 3 pt shot to his game.

I'd like to hear the rationale behind why Marshall with just 48gms, 3 starts, 701mins, 1 year NBA experience, and 22 in August can't add a 3pt shot to his game while DD with 304gms, 292 starts, 9728mins, 4 years NBA experience, and 24 in August can add a 3pt shot to his game.
            Marz wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure if this is sarcasm from the DeRozan thread.
            I apologized for bringing another thread topic in to this one.

I consider tongue in cheek to be a synonym of sarcasm. I'm not an English major so I might have that interpretation wrong.

I don't have anything out of joint p00ka. This is the 2nd time in the last few days you've made this type of comment - to which the first reply I was being 100% sincere. I don't consider you a mortal RR enemy but it sure seems like you do with me.

Now why can't Marshall improve his three point shooting?
            "Tongue in cheek" it is then. I can do that.

I didn't say Marshall can't improve his 3 point shooting, so I'll pass on a straw man argument, tongue in cheek that is.

Comment

Liked Marshall in college, but I highly doubt that MU will think he'll fit at all. We've already had one backup point guard whose athletic shortcomings resulted in defensive liabilities, and at least he could shoot the lights out and get to the basket.

Marshall doesn't really have any real selling points or reasons for optimism at this point of his career. Sure, he can pass, but the fact that he can't demand much respect from his own defenders will allow them to cheat off of him and limit his ability to create for his teammates. If he was a technically solid defender, I could possibly see some interest since we could use a defensive guard off the bench, but he isn't, so it ain't happenin!

Comment

I can't help but notice all of these things that people bring up about him:

- defensive liability
                - not athletic
                - inconsistent shot
                - good passer

The first thing I thought of when going through this thread is that his game is similar to that of Jeremy Lin's when he was stuck at the end of the bench in GS and NY. These were all aspects of his game before he got his chance to shine.

I'm not saying there's gonna be MarshallMania anytime soon, but you never know what could happen.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

We've already got a project on our hands with T. Ross, I dunno if we have room at the end of the bench for another one. If we can trade Acy for Marshall then sure, but I wouldn't want to give up much more than that.

Comment

2nd round is max currency for him right now. Still young and a gifted passer. Maybe he just needs a chance. If not, then it's not a big financial commitment to a guy on his rookie deal.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                      I should add that Marshall's height, 6' 4", would help minimize the slow feet on the defensive side, given a good coaching style.
                      With an average wingspan. I would rather JuJu. At least know he would guard his position and move the ball.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm not down at all with Marshall. Saw him play in NC, and he was mediocre. He got no playing time this past season and he's just a skinny guy with nothing to offer on offense. We might as bring back Roko Ukic if we want to sign him

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                        ESPN:

After Monday's report by NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper that indicated that Phoenix has put 2012 lottery pick Kendall Marshall on the trading block, we take a look at some of the likeliest landing spots for the young pass-first point guard.

The Suns didn't use Marshall much at all in his rookie season, at least not until it was firmly established that they were one of the worst teams in the league. When all was said and done, he averaged 3.0 points and 3.0 assists in 14.6 minutes a game last season, and with Eric Bledsoe joining Goran Dragic in the Suns' backcourt this summer the Suns are reportedly looking to trade Marshall or package him with others in a deal. At this stage, even a second-round pick may be more valuable for Phoenix and new GM Ryan McDonough than going forward with Marshall as the team's third point guard.

Here are some teams that may be interested in making a deal for the heady North Carolina product:
                        Milwaukee -- It remains to be seen what the Bucks will do with Brandon Jennings, but without him they have only Luke Ridnour, Ish Smith and second-rounder Nate Wolters on the point guard depth chart.
                        Charlotte -- A return to the state of North Carolina might be appealing, and current backup Ramon Sessions is in the final year of his deal.
                        Boston -- The rebuilding Celtics still don't have a true backup to Rondo.
                        Philadelphia -- The suddenly-young 76ers may be the worst team in the league next season, and need a second point guard to pair with Michael Carter-Williams.
                        Toronto -- The Raptors have an abundance of wings and could try to swap one of them for Marshall, especially since they need a backup for Kyle Lowry.

-----------------------------------------

Any chance there is interest on our end for Marshall. I was actually pretty interested in drafting this guy. I think it could still work as a change of pace on the second unit.
                        Protocall
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
                        http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Comment

hahaha, agreed.

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          You forgot bad handles, Kwame Brown offensive talent, As strong as a 2 month old toddler. PHX knows hes a bust and are just trying to sell him high
                          Protocall
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
                          http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Comment

Full disclosure - I'm a UNC fan - so obviously biased - but I truly believe Marshall will be an impact PG in the league eventually. He's not just a good passer - he's an absolute passing genius. Completely arbitrary minutes cut-off - but he got 34 minutes in exactly 3 games last year and in those games tallied 37 assist vs 7 turnovers. Had 14 assists vs 0 turnovers in the only game he got 40 minutes. Now, in those same 3 games he shot 7-24 - and there's no doubt he's a defensive liability against quick PGs at this point in his career - and in the NBA pretty well all the starting PG's are quick. His game still needs a lot of work - but he shot 32% from 3 which is better than DD has ever managed and his height gives him a chance to eventually not be a sieve on D. It would be a speculative developmental move to acquire him - but one that could pay big dividends down the road. Could absolutely lead the league in assists with starter's minutes now - would get crushed in other aspects of the game of course - but anytime you can acquire someone who could lead the league in anything for what will likely be very little (a 2nd rounder and a salary filler likely gets him) it's worth a roll of the dice IMO.

Comment

"Absolute passing genius"? Valleyofthesuns writer Ryan Weisert disagrees:

When he is running the break, Marshall favors north-south passes, over the top of retreating defenders. I watched every one of his fast break possessions on Synergy and kept a tally. On plays where he made this type of north-south pass, he turned it over more than 50% of the time. That’s a combination of bad decision making and lack of passing skill. The talent of his teammates is immaterial in this area of the discussion. His running mates are either open or they aren’t. If they aren’t open, that might be their fault, but Marshall still threw the pass. A good point guard knows when to keep the ball himself and when to pull it back and set up the half-court offense. Marshall does not make the right decision as often as he should.
                              Granted, he's talking about transition, but this kind of thing translates to passing just in general. For me personally, one year isn't enough of a sample size and he DID play surprisingly few minutes for a team that was out of it pretty quickly; I'm still kind of thinking it shouldn't actually take that long to adjust to the increased physical abilities in the NBA on something as (relatively) simple as passing in transition, but I'd be willing to cut him some slack for now. He has bigger things to worry about, namely his lack of offence and athleticism.
                              Last edited by TRX; Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Why are we still discussing this, we have 3 PGs under contract now. This isn't happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X