Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Try to make a team for less than Gilbert Arenas' $22M Salary!

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Try to make a team for less than Gilbert Arenas' $22M Salary!

    Was thinking to myself the other day ... what ever happened Gilbert Arenas? It was only a few years ago that "Agent Zero" was at his Fullest, and all over the media in blogs and what not. And this is even before the guns incident.
    He's still only 31 years old, and making a cool $22M this year, from the Magic. 3rd highest in the League... and playing in China apparently.

    Found this article where they try to put together a starting lineup for less than his $22M:
    PG – Kyrie Irving $5,915,880
    SG – Paul George $3,282,003
    SF – Jeff Green $8,700,000
    PF – Reggie Evans $1,695,636
    C – Nick Collison $2,585,668

    Thought that was a clever exercise to do in the slums of Summer around here, so here was my attempt at making a better starting lineup for $22M or Less:
    PG - Kyle Lowry $6,210,000
    SG - Bradley Beal $4,319,000
    SF - Paul George $3,280,000
    PF - Larry Sanders $3,053,000
    C - Greg Monroe $4,086,000

    All salaries can be found at Basketball-Reference.com

    Any takers? Can you top these lineups with a Payroll of less than $22M?
    In Masai we Trust.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's not fair, you just use mostly rookie contracts :P. And why Lowry over Irving?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Got a pretty good one:

    PG - Damian Lillard $3,202,920
    SG - Jamal Crawford $5,225,000
    SF - Klay Thompson $2,317,920
    PF - Anthony Davis $5,375,760
    C - DeMarcus Cousins $4,916,974
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey, this got me to thinking. Is Iverson still playing in Turkey?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Hey, this got me to thinking. Is Iverson still playing in Turkey?
    Don't think so, but he's in the midst of a lawsuit right now. He either has to pay $71k in child support or spend time in jail.

    lol
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  6. #6
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raise the bar

    Depth Chart:
    HTML Code:
    PG:	Kyrie Irving			$5.6	M
    	Isaiah Thomas			$.9	M
    	Dwight Buycks			$.5	M
    					
    					
    SG:	Kawhi Leonard			$1.9	M
    	Lance Stephenson		$.9	M
    					
    					
    SF:	Paul George			$3.3	M
    	Nick Young			$.9	M
    					
    					
    PF:	Kenneth Faried			$1.4	M
    	Ronny Turiaf			$1.5	M
    					
    C:	Nikola Vucevic			$1.8	M
    	Andre Drummond			$2.5	M
    	Jermaine O'Neal			$.9	M
    					
    				        $22.0	M

    Rotation:

    PG Kyrie Irving
    SG Kawhi Leonard
    SF Paul George
    PF Kenneth Faried
    C Nikola Vucevic
    6 Lance Stephenson
    7 Andre Drummond
    8 Isaiah Thomas
    9 Jermaine O'Neal
    10 Nick Young
    11 Ronny Turiaf
    12 Dwight Buycks


    Tell me this squad wouldn't beat the living daylights out of the Raptors.

  7. Like Axel liked this post
  8. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Don't think so, but he's in the midst of a lawsuit right now. He either has to pay $71k in child support or spend time in jail.

    lol
    He prolly can't afford that..which is pathetic..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Depth Chart:
    HTML Code:
    PG:	Kyrie Irving			$5.6	M
    	Isaiah Thomas			$.9	M
    	Dwight Buycks			$.5	M
    					
    					
    SG:	Kawhi Leonard			$1.9	M
    	Lance Stephenson		$.9	M
    					
    					
    SF:	Paul George			$3.3	M
    	Nick Young			$.9	M
    					
    					
    PF:	Kenneth Faried			$1.4	M
    	Ronny Turiaf			$1.5	M
    					
    C:	Nikola Vucevic			$1.8	M
    	Andre Drummond			$2.5	M
    	Jermaine O'Neal			$.9	M
    					
    				        $22.0	M

    Rotation:

    PG Kyrie Irving
    SG Kawhi Leonard
    SF Paul George
    PF Kenneth Faried
    C Nikola Vucevic
    6 Lance Stephenson
    7 Andre Drummond
    8 Isaiah Thomas
    9 Jermaine O'Neal
    10 Nick Young
    11 Ronny Turiaf
    12 Dwight Buycks


    Tell me this squad wouldn't beat the living daylights out of the Raptors.
    Depends on who's coaching them

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Raptors Alumni less than $22M roster

    PG
    Jerryd Bayless $3,135,000
    Carlos Arroyo $884,293
    Mike James $884,293

    SG
    Vince Carter $3,180,000
    Leandro Barbosa $884,293

    SF
    Marco Belinelli $2,348,400
    PJ Tucker $884,293

    PF
    Ed Davis $3,153,860
    Reggie Evans $1,695,635

    C
    Matt Bonner $3,945,000
    Hamed Haddadi $200,000

    Total Salary $21,195,067

    For the record, this team would be terrible, but then they'd draft Wiggins and own! lol

  11. Like Apollo liked this post
  12. #10
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    PG
    Jerryd Bayless $3,135,000
    Carlos Arroyo $884,293
    Mike James $884,293

    SG
    Vince Carter $3,180,000
    Leandro Barbosa $884,293

    SF
    Marco Belinelli $2,348,400
    PJ Tucker $884,293

    PF
    Ed Davis $3,153,860
    Reggie Evans $1,695,635

    C
    Matt Bonner $3,945,000
    Hamed Haddadi $200,000

    Total Salary $21,195,067

    For the record, this team would be terrible, but then they'd draft Wiggins and own! lol
    And Wiggins would be the highest paid by a mile.

  13. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm torn between better spacing with Parsons at 4 and better rebounding and ass kicking with Faried at 4.

    Btw, I think that 2nd unit alone could beat some teams. It's clearly better than the 76ers for example.

    pg Kyrie Irving $5,607,240
    sg Paul George $3,282,003
    sf Kawhi Leonard $1,887,840
    pf Kenneth Faried $1,367,640
    c Andre Drummond $2,462,400

    Bench
    pg Isaiah Thomas $884,293
    sg Lance Stephenson $930,000
    sf Jimmy Butler $1,112,880
    pf Chandler Parsons $926,500
    c Nikola Vucevic $1,793,520
    designated knee hitter: Patrick Beverley $788,872
    chief towel spinner: Robert Sacre $788,873

    21.85 mil in total

  14. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trying to field teams where players total salary is less than $22M, and not one poster wants JV on their roster? Blasphemy!

  15. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Guess the "fanboys" don't waver too far from the main Raptors board.

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Trying to field teams where players total salary is less than $22M, and not one poster wants JV on their roster? Blasphemy!
    hahaha yeah, I was thinking that too. He would definitely be on my team at starting C. I can't think of a guy on such a small deal I'd rather have there.

    PG:Bledsoe 2,626,474
    SG: Beal 4,319,280
    SF: Kawhi 1,887,840
    PF: Anthony Davis 5,375,760
    C: Jonas 3,526,440
    Total: 17,735,794

    I have enough for a bench!....

    Shaun Livingston 884,293
    Jimmy Butler 1,112,880
    Andre Drummond 2,462,400
    Bench total: 4,459,573

    Grand total of 22,195,367

    Gilbert Arenas salary according to hoopshype ....22,346,536
    (because I can't find it on hoopsworld)

    Wow...that took really long and it was only an 8-man rotation

    *Edit: I also thought about trying to squeeze a 9-man rotation out of that amount...but the most likely casualty was Drummond (would be for Parsons and Blatche), who I want to anchor the bench unit when one of Davis/JV goes out.

    *Also, I used hoopsworld numbers.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 17th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

  17. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, when you have Drummond, Cousins, Monroe and Larry Sanders all making around the same as Jonas, it's tough to pick Jonas. Maybe next year, if he makes a leap forward.

  18. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Well, when you have Drummond, Cousins, Monroe and Larry Sanders all making around the same as Jonas, it's tough to pick Jonas. Maybe next year, if he makes a leap forward.
    Drummond -> offensively limited (can't shoot outside of...like 4 ft)
    Cousins -> Defensively limited...possibly mentally limited as well (and a sub .500 FG %!)
    Monroe -> defensively limited (too slow for PF, too soft for C)
    Sanders -> Offensively limited (does he have an offense?)

    Jonas -> Already solid on both ends, and shows high potential on both ends.

    I don't think it's that tough. I can certainly see the argument for taking Drummond or Sanders, who can both potentially dominate defensively, if you're getting your offense somewhere else. I don't like Monroe and Cousins that much. I like Monroe more, but I don't like his D. I don't have a lot of faith in things suddenly "clicking" in terms of attitude for Cousins.

    And, well, I did pick Drummond as my third big, but I think JV and Davis have higher overall potential because of their 2-way ability....Davis having the highest overall potential because of his versatility.

  19. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, it depends if you are projecting the future or looking at right now based on the previous season. Jonas is not a good defensive player right now, he's far below average. He's not a good rebounder, not a passer and his efficiency relies on his limited role.

    With Cousins/Monroe you have more experienced and physically developed players with more offensive ability.

    With Sanders or Drummond, you have a legit defensive presence --- which to be fair most of the teams in this thread probably need more than anything because they are full of cheap rookies. I mean, Anthony Davis + Jonas is an ugly defensive frontcourt, going by last year. But long term, sure, I'm a believer. It might be brilliant.

  20. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Well, it depends if you are projecting the future or looking at right now based on the previous season. Jonas is not a good defensive player right now, he's far below average. He's not a good rebounder, not a passer and his efficiency relies on his limited role.

    With Cousins/Monroe you have more experienced and physically developed players with more offensive ability.

    With Sanders or Drummond, you have a legit defensive presence --- which to be fair most of the teams in this thread probably need more than anything because they are full of cheap rookies. I mean, Anthony Davis + Jonas is an ugly defensive frontcourt, going by last year. But long term, sure, I'm a believer. It might be brilliant.
    I think you're shortselling Jonas a bit. He started the season out roughly last year, but he was a far better player defensively post all-star break. And I expect him to make a bigger jump than any of those other guys this coming season.
    *Also shortselling Davis.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 17th, 2013 at 02:44 PM.

  21. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,923
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    pg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
    sg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
    sf-lebron james
    pf-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year pf who can shoot
    c-jonas valuncunias

    makes the finals
    For The Win

  22. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    pg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
    sg-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year guard who can shoot
    sf-lebron james
    pf-any minimum deal unsigned 4 year pf who can shoot
    c-jonas valuncunias

    makes the finals
    You are over the limit with just LeBron + Valanciunas. :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •