No announcement yet.

Let's Discuss Adam Silver..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope MLSE is giving serious thought to a D-League team in Canada. Realistically many of the benefits from a team owned by MLSE would be having it in Southern Ontario or somewhere close to the border if in US.

Another benefit would be CIS kids getting a shot. I don't think the upper tier CIS talent is that far away from many of the guys playing in the D-League. The athleticism is likely much better but athleticism is just one piece of the puzzle in making a player - granted a very important one. Warren Ward's experience at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas comes to mind.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/warren-war...e-route-to-nba

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I hope MLSE is giving serious thought to a D-League team in Canada. Realistically many of the benefits from a team owned by MLSE would be having it in Southern Ontario or somewhere close to the border if in US.

Another benefit would be CIS kids getting a shot. I don't think the upper tier CIS talent is that far away from many of the guys playing in the D-League. The athleticism is likely much better but athleticism is just one piece of the puzzle in making a player - granted a very important one. Warren Ward's experience at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas comes to mind.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/warren-war...e-route-to-nba
      I think they should go over more western ontario or eastern. Maybe, they should just have it move around to a couple cities/towns per year..?
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        I think they should go over more western ontario or eastern. Maybe, they should just have it move around to a couple cities/towns per year..?
        Remember last year when Acy went crazy mad driving trying to get a flight in California to make it to Toronto for the game?

Now what if he was in Hamilton and drove the 45 minutes to ACC or if it was rush hour, Larry T sent his yacht?

Solves a lot of problems that would still exist with a team in western or eastern Canada.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Remember last year when Acy went crazy mad driving trying to get a flight in California to make it to Toronto for the game?

Now what if he was in Hamilton and drove the 45 minutes to ACC or if it was rush hour, Larry T sent his yacht?

Solves a lot of problems that would still exist with a team in western or eastern Canada.
          Takes more than 45 minutes. But, I get your point. It would be awesome if you were a call up and you justhopped in a boat and zoomed straight across the lake.haha
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

MLSE D-League team discussion question:

Comment

I was initially wondering if Kitchener/Waterloo might be able to sustain a team, or in that area, Cambridge/Guelph.

Truth is I don't see there being enough talent to make a 30 team d-league. However, I would really like to seem more CIS representation. I know when I was a Carleton we'd always play NCAA Div 1 teams during the off season. Occassionally we'd get blown out, but usually we'd beat them or it would come down to the last couple of possessions. Granted they were exhibition games that meant nothing, but still. What I'd be REALLY curious to see would be if the NCAA would reserve a seat for the CIS champions. Maybe a one win elimination for the 16th seed in one of the brackets. I don't think the CIS champions to get very far in march madness, but I could see them winning a play in game, or at least making a game of it.

Anyway, I do think that the gap between CIS players and NCAA players is closing, and I'd be great to get CIS players into the spotlight. Whether that's in the d-league or otherwise.

I do believe quite a few former Ravens are or did play professionally internationally. Maybe there are CIS players who could play in the d-league but don't because they can make more money overseas???
              Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:18 PM.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                Truth is I don't see there being enough talent to make a 30 team d-league.
                I think there's plenty of room to grow talent wise. It's not like the D-League is second only to the NBA right now. I'm not sure it's even top 5 league, probably not.

How much room for growth there is money wise, that's a harder question. D-League salaries just can't compete with top foreign leagues right now.
                Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

While we're at it, why not discuss Adam Silver:

Comment

Well, if he can start by giving us an All-Star game, that'd be great and long overdue.

Comment

Trail Blazers Guard C.J. McCollum Interviews Incoming NBA Commissioner Adam Silver

Portland Trail Blazers guard C.J. McCollum graduated from Lehigh University with a degree in journalism. He also happens to have been drafted with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and has formally signed his rookie contract with the organization. It allows the Lehigh University graduate and Excel Sports Management client to finally focus on his true love — basketball — after a crazy and hectic build-up to the NBA Draft and waiting process that began thereafter.

McCollum’s ultimate dream was to be drafted by an NBA team, but the cherry on top was that he also had the opportunity to also speak directly with incoming NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on the day of the NBA Draft.
                      The following is the full conversation between C.J. McCollum and incoming NBA Commissioner Adam Silver from the site of the 2013 NBA Draft.
                      C.J. McCollum: Thanks for taking the time to do this interview. While I have my degree in journalism and used to write and edit for my college newspaper this is obviously my first time interviewing a future commissioner.

Adam Silver: Thanks for being here and congratulations on your degree in journalism!

C.J. McCollum: Thank you. Let’s get started. As a rookie just entering the NBA, what do you think will be my biggest challenges? Do you have any advice you can offer me?

Adam Silver: I think the biggest challenge is how much longer and more difficult the schedule is than college, the wear and tear on the body. Most rookies tend to hit a wall around March because your body is accustomed to only playing hard for so long. Because it’s an 82-game season, you have to be sure to pace yourself throughout the year. There is an extensive travel schedule, and the level of competition is the best in the world. There is a lot to absorb, and there is a lot of activity and distractions around the league. David Stern always says to focus on three things: nutrition, sleep and your game. Everything else can potentially be a distraction.

C.J. McCollum: I graduated from Lehigh with a degree in journalism. What do you suggest I do to hone in on and further develop my skills in journalism?

[I]Adam Silver:[/I] One of the things I’d suggest you do is exactly what you are doing now. Use that degree while you play in the NBA. So that would mean taking advantage of opportunities to do interviews, whether they are with league executives, teammates, maybe fans and celebrities who follow the game. Use the access that you get by the virtue of being a player in the league. Write as much as you can. I think that writing is a muscle – same thing as working out – and I think if you find opportunities to write blog entries, stories and essays throughout the year that it would be great for you. I think that most great writers are also great readers, so I recommend reading as well. The discipline of writing and sharing what you write with other journalists and writers and asking for feedback, is like asking others to give you feedback on your game. It’s the same thing.

C.J. McCollum: Thank you, that’s really good advice.

My family has been watching the NBA Draft together for years, and this time I will actually be there! We always see you come out to announce the second round and everyone cheers. Who do you think is going to take over the second round once Commissioner Stern retires and you replace him?

Adam Silver: It’s a great question because David still has seven months or so left as Commissioner. We haven’t really focused on my successor or the succession plan. I’ll step into the role of getting the boos and someone else will step into the role of getting the cheers.
                      interesting stuf..

C.J. McCollum: After working alongside Commissioner Stern for so many years, is there any advice he has given you to help make the transition easier?

Adam Silver: One of the things I take from David – and I’ve worked for him for over 20 years – is what he refers to as ‘execution and detail.’ He is an extraordinarily hardworking person with very high standards for all of the people that work with him, and what I’ve learned is that no detail is too small, that you can’t cut corners; not any different than what I’m sure you’ve learned as a basketball player. You get out of it what you put into it. And so I’ve learned from David that you need to be passionate about what you do, and you can never let up because you never know when that critical time will come, when if you’re not paying absolute attention, you’ll slip up. I’ve learned that and so many other things from David, and I’ve been fortunate to work under him for over 20 years now.

C.J. McCollum: If you weren’t involved with basketball and the NBA, what would you do?

Adam Silver: I see you’re reading your questions off your iPad. I love technology. I have my iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Mac laptop. Because I love technology, I think if I were not at the NBA, I would try to be part of a tech startup company. I enjoy my trips out to the Bay Area and Silicon Valley. Technology is changing the world, it’s changing our sport, it’s changing the way people are following the NBA. We have fans all over the world that are going to be watching you play on their smartphones as opposed to on a big television. If I weren’t at the NBA, I would be involved with a technology company of some sort.

C.J. McCollum: What social media are you involved in? As the future Commissioner, do you have a Twitter account? Who do you follow?

Adam Silver: I have a Facebook page, and I post a lot of photos on it. I do the same with Instagram because, for example, at the Finals, I get this really special access that I’m sure fans would love to have…the equivalent of a backstage pass. You get to see guys warming up or you get to see guys greeting each other, legends in the green room or whatever else. I like to post a lot of that content. I have a Twitter handle, but right now it’s anonymous because I’m not tweeting. But I do follow about 150 people. If you have a handle I’m going to start following you. It’s a great way to hear directly from players or others in real time what their feelings are about an event. Often, when I’m watching a game, I can sort of see if there is a controversial call or just an incredible play. It’s the equivalent of almost being in the arena and getting the reaction of the crowd.

C.J. McCollum: Taking you back a little…Before Commissioner Stern put the dress code in place, players were wearing du-rags and large chains. I’d like to know how you would you grade my fashion?

Adam Silver: Before this interview started – and I mention this so people don’t think this is a setup – I complimented you on your vest. You definitely get an A. I don’t know if I could match checks and plaids the way you have, you’ve got to have a special touch to do that. Actually, I’d probably give you an A+, not just an A. I’m a little old school, everything’s got a looser fit, but you’re in style because everything is a little tighter and that’s the look. But as you go through the NBA training regimen, you’re going to have to leave a little room in the chest and shoulders.

C.J. McCollum: As you know, I went to Lehigh University. I have to bring this up. Did you watch the game where we beat Duke, your alma mater? Are you still a Duke fan?

Adam Silver: Yes, I watched that game. And yes, I’m a Duke fan. You scored 30 points. I remember the game, and, well, the best team won. But that was a devastating loss for us. I’m a huge Duke fan. I obviously went to Duke, am a big fan of the program and Coach K., and I enjoyed working with Coach K and his assistants on the USA Basketball program over the last several years.

C.J. McCollum: Sorry, didn’t want to bring it up, but I had to do it (laughing).

Coming in as the Commissioner, is there anything in the NBA you would like to see changed or run differently?

Adam Silver: Well, since I’ve been part of this for so long, if there were something I would have really wanted to see changed, hopefully I would have worked to change it. All I have to say at this point is that I have huge, huge shoes to fill with David Stern stepping down. I’d only be so lucky to continue to grow it in the way that David has over the past 30 years.

C.J. McCollum: What do you like to do for fun or in your spare time?

Adam Silver: In my spare time, and you can tell this is my labor of love, because in my spare time I enjoy watching basketball and not just NBA basketball. I watch college basketball and sports in general. I’m also a runner. I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan near Central Park, so I try to squeeze in runs through Central Park when I can. I have a three and a half year old Labrador named Eydie, so we go to the park as much as we can. She’s coded to retrieve tennis balls, so she gets mad at me when I’m not throwing them.
                      there's another page, if you's are interested:http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...adam-silver/3/
                      Last edited by LBF; Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I don't think you'll see any impact to the Raptors in particular. They're an important market even if some of the "analysts" with no business background would tell you otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                        X