[OLD THREAD] Andrew Wiggins says he wants to play for Raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Is this like some sort of metaphorical reference to the NBA lottery and people arguing over who to draft? If not. I. . . what the fuck are you talking about? lol
    It's a metaphor about wishful thinking when the older wiser people know better. The kids would *metaphor alert* put the carriage before the horse and plan out thier winnings, much like us talking about wiggins in toronto and the dad like the asshole he is, sits back and laughs at them until mom slaps them for arguing with each other.

Comment

Only 2014 prospect than can compete with Wiggins is Gordon. Those 2 far ahead of Parker and Randle

Comment

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
        Only 2014 prospect than can compete with Wiggins is Gordon. Those 2 far ahead of Parker and Randle
        I like Kasey Hill a lot. He wasn't as high ranked as the Harrisons, but I think he'll turn into the better player. More athletic then Andrew Harrison, and gonna form an elite combo with Chris Walker in Florida.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

"Great One" Status

Guys, you know, even if they don't draft Wiggins he will one day be a RFA and then a UFA. If he has a strong desire to play at home one would think that Ujiri or whoever is the man calling the shots then will have a great edge in landing Wiggins.

Canada is developing a nice crop of young, talented players. Many times I've said in here that I wouldn't want to play for the Raptors if I was in the position to do so but when push comes to shove it has to be enticing to play for the team you've cheered for so long, the team you have a strong desire to improve. I could see it happening long term with Wiggins.

Nash, Magloire, and others have never really came out strong with a desire to play for the Raptors early on in their career or in their prime but the Raptors weren't "their team" growing up due to their age. If a Canadian were to become the leader of the Raptors and win a ring he would have Wayne Gretzky type status among hoops fans and bandwagoners. That's got to be attractive, to be an unmatched sports hero in your country.

In his prime Vince Carter had rock star status in Canada, dominated the highlight reels and newspapers. Wiggins has the potential to do much greater things than VC.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Guys, you know, even if they don't draft Wiggins he will one day be a RFA and then a UFA. If he has a strong desire to play at home one would think that Ujiri or whoever is the man calling the shots then will have a great edge in landing Wiggins.

Canada is developing a nice crop of young, talented players. Many times I've said in here that I wouldn't want to play for the Raptors if I was in the position to do so but when push comes to shove it has to be enticing to play for the team you've cheered for so long, the team you have a strong desire to improve. I could see it happening long term with Wiggins.

Nash, Magloire, and others have never really came out strong with a desire to play for the Raptors early on in their career or in their prime. If a Canadian were to become the leader of the Raptors and win a ring he would have Wayne Gretzky type status among hoops fans and bandwagoners. That's got to be attractive, to be an unmatched sports hero in your country.
            Wiggins may be attracted to Toronto but if Wiggins is going to be as special as people think he will be then you can scratch RFA off the list as the team that drafts him will just match any offer he gets. So in order to wait for Wiggins, Toronto will have to wait at least 8 more years. That's a long time to wait, and even then there is no guarantee that he leaves the team that drafts him.

Comment

There are ways around the whole RFA thing. He can voice his interest in playing for Toronto and ask them not to match; forcing a S&T or he could sign a one year deal and force their hand that way. It all depends on desire. I for one would love to see a player strong arm a team to move to Toronto after seeing it happen so many times the other way around. The Toronto Raptors have well paid their dues. Time for some genuinely good things to happen for them.

Comment

There are ways around the whole RFA thing. He can voice his interest in playing for Toronto and ask them not to match; forcing a S&T or he could sign a one year deal and force their hand that way. It all depends on desire. I for one would love to see a player strong arm a team to move to Toronto after seeing it happen so many times the other way around. The Toronto Raptors have well paid their dues. Time for some genuinely good things to happen for them.
                Wiggins will become a national hero if he ever pulled a stunt like that. I think he might even surpass the 'Great One'.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Wiggins may be attracted to Toronto but if Wiggins is going to be as special as people think he will be then you can scratch RFA off the list as the team that drafts him will just match any offer he gets. So in order to wait for Wiggins, Toronto will have to wait at least 8 more years. That's a long time to wait, and even then there is no guarantee that he leaves the team that drafts him.
                  Not just that but Wiggins is like how old right now? 18? His life is about to change in ways that nobody here can really fathom. What he says in any interview right now is out the door when he steps into the NBA spotlight. When ever he does become eligible to hit the free agent market he will have a completely different perspective on what he wants.

Comment

Maybe or maybe his desire to come home will be amplified. He will be a very young RFA with strong ties to Canada. Can you imagine the goldmine he would hit with Canadian endorsement deals?

Comment

I'm not saying it's the same situation, but genuinely curious as to how you and others on the site compare Wiggins signing here in the future with Nash having had an opportunity to sign here. 2 Time MVP Steve Nash signing with Canada's only team would have been a dream for media, endoresements would have been coming his way left and right. Thoughts?

Comment

Nash, Magloire, and others have never really came out strong with a desire to play for the Raptors early on in their career or in their prime but the Raptors weren't "their team" growing up due to their age. If a Canadian were to become the leader of the Raptors and win a ring he would have Wayne Gretzky type status among hoops fans and bandwagoners. That's got to be attractive, to be an unmatched sports hero in your country.

In his prime Vince Carter had rock star status in Canada, dominated the highlight reels and newspapers. Wiggins has the potential to do much greater things than VC.
                        Firstly...yeah, numbers matter. The fact that more Canadians are coming in statistically increases the odds one will end up on Toronto...

But more importantly, on the second bold, which I want to relate to the first, I think guys like Nash and Magloire didn't want that kind of attention. It was just too much. The fact that more Canucks are coming into the league means the pressure/attention gets spread around, even if one of them ever ended up in Toronto. But before, things were basically all focused on Nash, and to a lesser extent Magloire...and before that, Canadians were lucky to be rotation players. Imagine how shitty that would have been for Nash. Spend all year playing for the Raptors with a national spotlight, then play for the national team as the only star...repeat. He probably would've retired like 5 years ago from fatigue, possibly just even from the mental aspect.

But yeah, now that more guys are coming in, even if one ended up in Toronto, pressure and attention is spread around. While no one could possibly have as much as a burden to succeed as Wiggins, it's still good for him that there are other guys in the league, some who could be pretty damn good, that will attract attention and not make him feel like he's always carrying the whole country's basketball hopes on his shoulders.

I also think it's a bonus guys grew up watching the Raptors. But that won't be reason enough on its own for guys to want to play here. Do think it will help them play with pride if they do suit up for us.

Comment

the RFA thing would mean that he could take the qualifying offer and be a UFA after year 5. As long as he doesn't sign an offer sheet, there is nothing to match.
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            But yeah, now that more guys are coming in, even if one ended up in Toronto, pressure and attention is spread around. While no one could possibly have as much as a burden to succeed as Wiggins, it's still good for him that there are other guys in the league, some who could be pretty damn good, that will attract attention and not make him feel like he's always carrying the whole country's basketball hopes on his shoulders.

I also think it's a bonus guys grew up watching the Raptors. But that won't be reason enough on its own for guys to want to play here. Do think it will help them play with pride if they do suit up for us.
                            They've brought in smart executives to make sure there is more than just a "Welcome Home" doormat.

thead wrote: View Post
                            the RFA thing would mean that he could take the qualifying offer and be a UFA after year 5. As long as he doesn't sign an offer sheet, there is nothing to match.
                            Really all he needs to do is tell them he has no desire to play for their team long term, he wants to play for the Raptors. This will be enough to make things start moving that way. Teams are frightened to death about losing start players. It's why D-Will, Melo and D12 all got moved.

Comment

They've brought in smart executives to make sure there is more than just a "Welcome Home" doormat.
                              I mean, Wiggins aside, I'd be pretty damn happy if they could bring Thompson in at PF. And I'm very excited to see how Bennett (who I always thought was the highest potential guy in this draft) and Olynyk do in the league.

I'm not sure waht to expect from Bennett. I don't think he'll have the tweener problem, at least not as bad as some recent guys (Williams, Beasley). And he's just got so much potential oozing from him. He could be a perennial all-star. He could also wash out of the league like any tweener, especially if he can't keep his body right. We'll see. I do think the LJ comparison's aren't bad. I think Bennett's got more burst in his game though, and maybe even more bully. Just have to see if it can translate to the NBA.

Olynyk I think is actually safer as a pick than Bennett. After seeing him in Summer League, where the IQ may be low, but the athleticism is definitely closer to the NBA than the NCAA was for these guys, I think if Ryan Anderson can become a full-time stretch PF, Kelly Olynyk can. His ball IQ is just so high, and while he may struggle to find his way defensively against NBA competition, he's also quick enough to be a constant threat on offense as a stretch big. With his size he can also possibly play mostly as a C on defense. Again, if Ryan Anderson can make it, I see Olynyk as being in control of his future. He's not more limited than that guy.

Comment

Wiggins will become a national hero if he ever pulled a stunt like that. I think he might even surpass the 'Great One'.
                                He could be known as "Maple Jordan"

Comment

Working...
                                X