Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ Augustin signs 1-year Deal with Raptors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. This move may mean Ujiri had lost hope in signing him.
    Unfortunately? for who?? His fat ass?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately? for who?? His fat ass?
    Ya, I'll admit I was a little interested in seeing Stone play, but does anybody REALLY care? At the end of the day he was never gonna be special.

3. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTEI think Hansbrough is going to surprise a lot of people this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree. He and Valenciunas would be a great combo. Unfortunately, D. J. Augustin could not make an entry pass to save his life, cannot see over taller defenders, does not have the strength to fight through screens, and does not know how to make a left-handed layup. He is fair to middling on the fast break. I had hoped Hansbrough was well rid of this guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, nothing impressive but can fill the backup role for Ujiri's assessment year, and fits the budget. Other than trying to get something for Q-Rich, these are your Toronto Raptors going into training camp.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I gotta admit that I really, really like the way things are going right now. Not kidding, our team looks pretty good!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, D. J. Augustin could not make an entry pass to save his life, cannot see over taller defenders, does not have the strength to fight through screens, and does not know how to make a left-handed layup. He is fair to middling on the fast break. I had hoped Hansbrough was well rid of this guy.
    Sooo, over all, you think the Augustin signing was a good one? Lol

Interesting insights into Augustins game. Could it perhaps benefit his game, knowing that Indiana plays more of a half court offense, where as the Raptors are hoping to be a bit more 'athletic' in their approach?
    Casey really isn't a good enough coach to draw up half court plays, so they'll have to rely a lot on their athleticism and get moving on the fast break. I think DJ could flourish in a system like this.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way I would support a season of tanking is if Gay were to get injured and this team slid. Just like how David Robinson got injured the year Duncan was drafted. They became into contenders, the year after. Although I think it is despicable to wish an injury on players, it would be a fast track into being relevant. I don't like the fire sale mentality. I think we have some good pieces.

9. Like TRex liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    The only way I would support a season of tanking is if Gay were to get injured and this team slid. Just like how David Robinson got injured the year Duncan was drafted. They became into contenders, the year after. Although I think it is despicable to wish an injury on players, it would be a fast track into being relevant. I don't like the fire sale mentality. I think we have some good pieces.
    I completely agree with this this.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    This team work still win 30 games without Rudy

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the signing lowery is not a real point guard. DJ may not start but could see a lot of floor time.

But where is that 6'5 point guard I always wanted

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Good Signing

Bench:

Augustin/Bykes
    Ross
    Fields/Novak
    Hansbrough/Acy
    Gray
    All we need is a better back up center and we would have a much better and reliable bench!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure out why people who ostensibly want the Raptors to compete this year think this is a "great signing." Nate Robinson would have been a great signing at this price, for example, but DJ Augustin is Not A Very Good Player and really only has one purpose: he has enough experience and demonstrated ability not too long enough ago that he can let the Raptors at least pretend that they're trying to compete, but little more than that.

Which from MY perspective - teardown and rebuild - makes him a fantastic signing! Because he sucks.

One year contract, if he suddenly becomes a threat he becomes trade bait, but we're not paying a lot in the interim. Works for me.
    You really think that Robinson wants to come here? When you're signing someone, you need to find someone who ACTUALLY WANTS TO COME HERE! Robinson wants either to go to a legit contender or to get more money from a lesser team.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like our team has been fleshed out pretty nicely.

There's some character to this team.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

augustine is a meh signing for me too. i understand we needed another player though. has some exp. and hopefully wants to prove himself worth some money next year. with a bit of luck might be able to move him at the deadline for something.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    augustine is a meh signing for me too. i understand we needed another player though. has some exp. and hopefully wants to prove himself worth some money next year. with a bit of luck might be able to move him at the deadline for something.
    You mean include him in trade to make salaries work? If any team wanted him he was there for the taking on a minimum contract. If he shows signs of improvement, why would a team trade him for anything of value when his contract expires at the end of the year?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
    You mean include him in trade to make salaries work? If any team wanted him he was there for the taking on a minimum contract. If he shows signs of improvement, why would a team trade him for anything of value when his contract expires at the end of the year?
    no i mean he displays some skill at running a team that a play off team thinks he might be a good bit of insurance and gives up a 2nd rounder for him. he is delegated to the raps because no one saw anything good in him but for a million bucks and no more commitment a contender might be willing to grab him at the deadline.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    This team work still win 30 games without Rudy
    Unless this signing means that Lowry is about to get traded for draft pick(s). Starting Augustin would mean that we'd suck hard, and Buyicks would be 1st off the bench, as promised.

And even if we win 30 games, don't forget that the Bulls won 33 the year before they drafted DRose. Ping-pong balls can act weird when there's a homekid at stake...

Raptors Republic Starter mike, prague's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, Casey was quite serious that he wants to play Pacer style basketball... The best way to play Pacer style basketball, is with Pacer players

21. Like bounty, Dr. James Naismith liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Meh, nothing impressive but can fill the backup role for Ujiri's assessment year, and fits the budget. Other than trying to get something for Q-Rich, these are your Toronto Raptors going into training camp.
    Don't forget Richardson can't be moved until December 15th. So until then the options for Richardson are:

1) waiver wire,
    2) stretch provision.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Sooo, over all, you think the Augustin signing was a good one? Lol

Interesting insights into Augustins game. Could it perhaps benefit his game, knowing that Indiana plays more of a half court offense, where as the Raptors are hoping to be a bit more 'athletic' in their approach?
    Casey really isn't a good enough coach to draw up half court plays, so they'll have to rely a lot on their athleticism and get moving on the fast break. I think DJ could flourish in a system like this.
    Something to consider is with JV's emergence we might be going to a more traditional inside out game. Fewer touches for Gay and DeMar in iso situations. I'd expect the touches to be much more evenly split between the 3 options on offense (DD, Gay, JV), with DD and Gay still getting the bulk, but JV's touches in the post increasing.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information