No announcement yet.

DJ Augustin signs 1-year Deal with Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we tank and keep our core? Can someone temporarily injure Gay, Demar, and Lowry?
    Key word is temporarily.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Ill kill them but that's the best I can do

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
        How do we tank and keep our core? Can someone temporarily injure Gay, Demar, and Lowry?
        Key word is temporarily.
        That's like asking a hit man, if he can temporarily kill someone..
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• After doing some research. I like this signing. A young vet that has started and backed up in the league. His also been successful in both roles as while. In his rookie year he came off the bench in 26.4 mins a game and averaged 11.4 Pts 3.5 Ast on 43.0 FG% and 43.9 3FG%. The next year his mins dropped to 18.4. About people doubting his defense. His showed that his able to head man a good defense. His played a two pretty good defensive teams so far. In 09-10 with the Cats. When the they had Wallace and Jackson on the wings. That team was top10 in defense that year. Once more last year with the Pacers.

With all the excitement of Buycks we forget what kind of coach Casey is. Casey is defensive minded and puts an extremely premium on experience. So far Buycks haven't shown us any of that. So I do believe that Augustin will start the season with that primary backup role.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

With all the excitement of Buycks we forget what kind of coach Casey is. is defensive minded and puts an extremely premium on experience. So far Buycks haven't shown us any of that. So I do believe that Augustin will start the season with that primary backup role.
            Disagree. Casey puts a premium on hard work. And a former 1st rounder who is now a drifter compared to a player who worked hard to make it to the league screams practice session battles for back up role.

Comment

• Am i the only one who thinks that Augustin was brought up to be a spot up shooter? In the playoffs we saw that he is a under average ball handler and sucks at making entry passes. I'm thinking that Lowry, Gay and Bucks (as he was told he would be the #2 PG) will handle the rock way more often than Augustin. In fact I think he was brought up to spread the floor as they were better playmakers and/or ball handler available. Watch out for Gay/DD and JV or AJ pick and roll/pop plays if we have 2 quality floor spreaders at the time with Novak and Augustin.
              Last edited by ImNotDrake; Wed Jul 24, 2013, 08:48 AM.
              No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

• ImNotDrake wrote: View Post
                Am i the only one who thinks that Augustin was brought up to be a spot up shooter? In the playoffs we saw that he is a under average ball handler and sucks at making entry passes. I'm thinking that Lowry, Gay and Bucks (as he was told he would be the #2 PG) will handle the rock way more often than Augustin. In fact I think he was brought up to spread the floor as they were better playmakers and/or ball handler available. Watch out for Gay/DD and JV or AJ pick and roll/pop plays if we have 2 quality floor spreaders at the time with Novak and Augustin.
                I think Augustin was brought in to take Lucas' role, basically. Except that he doesn't need to have the ball as much in his hands. So yeah, like you say, I see a fair amount of spot up shooting in his future. I also see him as the 3rd stringer because of this. Augustin really doesn't bring that much to the table. Ujiri clearly wants someone to be motivated to grab that backup spot, and my guess is he and Casey are hoping that's Bucyks with his speed and hustle. But Augustin is a better option than Lucas for this team....because, fuck, yeah, I hated watching Lucas dominate the ball for 20 seconds and then hoist up a wild jumper.

Comment

• I basically agree with all your saying, except i think Augustin might be off the bench before Buycks but only for shooting purpose while leaving the handle duties to Gay or DeRozen.
                  No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    Disagree. Casey puts a premium on hard work. And a former 1st rounder who is now a drifter compared to a player who worked hard to make it to the league screams practice session battles for back up role.
                    You obviously didn't see how little Ross and Val played, and how much Casey relied on AA last year. There's no way you can argue that Casey prefers young guys over experience. My guess is that Buycks will be undeservedly locked to the bench, if anything.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I basically agree with all your saying, except i think Augustin might be off the bench before Buycks but only for shooting purpose while leaving the handle duties to Gay or DeRozen.
                      I think at the beginning of the season that will probably be true. But without trying to consider summer league at all, the Buycks signing screams of hoping this guy is more than an undrafted journeyman to fill the end of bench. Just get the impression the job is BUycks to win/lose, and Augustin is insurance while he's learning, or if he never does.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        I think at the beginning of the season that will probably be true. But without trying to consider summer league at all, the Buycks signing screams of hoping this guy is more than an undrafted journeyman to fill the end of bench. Just get the impression the job is BUycks to win/lose, and Augustin is insurance while he's learning, or if he never does.
                        I agree with this, but i think regardless of Buycks performance and playing time, the main diffrence will be in playing roles. We will see Augustin as a spot up shooter and Buycks as a backup point guard role. It wouldn't suprise me, especially if Ross underperforms, to see both of them together on the floor.

I think both players were brought up to do different things and seeing it at same positions isn't the correct vision. I could be wrong though.
                        Last edited by ImNotDrake; Wed Jul 24, 2013, 09:59 AM.
                        No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

I agree with this, but i think regardless of Buycks performance and playing time, the main diffrence will be in playing roles. We will see Augustin as a spot up shooter and Buycks as a backup point guard role. It wouldn't suprise me, especially if Ross underperforms, to see both of them together on the floor.

I think both players were brought up to do different things and seeing it at same positions isn't the correct vision. I could be wrong though.
                          This would surprise me a bit actually. Augustin would be a GIGANTIC liability on D in a small backcourt. If we see 2 PG lineups, I think Lowry and Buycks, with Buycks playing at the off-guard, is more likely.

Buycks should be quick enough to stay in front of SGs, and has better length than Augustin. Also while Augustin can shoot, his man won't really have to pay any attention to him on D. Buycks is more than a shooter though, and his man will have to play him tough to avoid getting burned off the bounce. Also, with him and Lowry, as opposed to Augustin, and again coming back to D, they can at least try to guard both backcourt spots well. Putting in Augustin means you give up something there on D, and he doesn't create enough of a mismatch on O to have him there.

If the team needs to inject extra shooting, that's what Novak is for, since it is the only good skill he brings to the table. Not that Novak is a stopper, but you can put him at SF, PF, maybe even SG if you can hide him on D, and give up less size, while also possibly pulling a big man away from the paint (instead of a guard), creating a difficult matchup on that end. Especially since while Augustin is a capable shooter, he's not by any means a "shooter" or "sniper".

I don't know, I just feel like any 2-PG lineup with Augustin is bound to get destroyed.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            This would surprise me a bit actually. Augustin would be a GIGANTIC liability on D in a small backcourt. If we see 2 PG lineups, I think Lowry and Buycks, with Buycks playing at the off-guard, is more likely.

Buycks should be quick enough to stay in front of SGs, and has better length than Augustin. Also while Augustin can shoot, his man won't really have to pay any attention to him on D. Buycks is more than a shooter though, and his man will have to play him tough to avoid getting burned off the bounce. Also, with him and Lowry, as opposed to Augustin, and again coming back to D, they can at least try to guard both backcourt spots well. Putting in Augustin means you give up something there on D, and he doesn't create enough of a mismatch on O to have him there.

If the team needs to inject extra shooting, that's what Novak is for, since it is the only good skill he brings to the table. Not that Novak is a stopper, but you can put him at SF, PF, maybe even SG if you can hide him on D, and give up less size, while also possibly pulling a big man away from the paint (instead of a guard), creating a difficult matchup on that end. Especially since while Augustin is a capable shooter, he's not by any means a "shooter" or "sniper".

I don't know, I just feel like any 2-PG lineup with Augustin is bound to get destroyed.
                            Yeah my whole thesis depends on how Buycks can defend the 2 spot. I could see Bucyks playing the 1 on offense and switch to 2 on defense and vice-versa with Augustin.

Augustin is a carrer 37% 3p shooter and i see that % going up in a spot up role.

I think that Novak and Augustin won't be in the game together and, depending on the match ups, we will see either one on the floor, depending if we go "big" or "small".
                            No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

Yeah my whole thesis depends on how Buycks can defend the 2 spot. I could see Bucyks playing the 1 on offense and switch to 2 on defense and vice-versa with Augustin.

Augustin is a carrer 37% 3p shooter and i see that % going up in a spot up role.

I think that Novak and Augustin won't be in the game together and, depending on the match ups, we will see either one on the floor, depending if we go "big" or "small".
                              First, the shooting....Career %s aside DJ shot .353% last season, and it was his highest 3pt shooting % in 3 seasons. He shot very well from 3 his first couple of years and seems to have tailed off to a more average level. I don't consider his career %, I consider what the last 3 seasons indicate, which is a 33-35% shooter.

Second, on the defensive units...Here is my issue with Augustin and Buycks....Buycks can maybe guard the 2 spot, but it's surely going to be a problem sometimes. Meanwhile, Augustin could be guarding my grandma (who's dead) at PG and still get burned. So you risk end up getting burned at both spots, say, if they have a 2 that can post up and a 1 that can blow by.

It's very hard to go small in the backcourt and stay successful. Most teams that can either have a PG that can slide over and guard 2s (like Kidd in his Dallas days), and/or a PG that is a pretty good on the ball defender, like Conley or Teague (with Bayless and Williams respectively). So to me, Lowry-Buycks is the only situation that matches something like that. Otherwise, there's too many problems on D and it cancels out any floor-spacing on O.

I think any time the Raps try to go small with Augustin and another guard, they'll end up regretting it.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Also, I definitely acknowledge that the likelihood we'll see Augustin in a small backcourt is pretty high....because they're bound to play enough teams that do something similar that Casey will have to play Augustin with Lowry/Buyckes at some point. I still think it's one of the worst options they have for a unit (you know, ignoring crazy lineups that couldn't even happen, like having 5 bigs on teh floor).

Comment

Working...
                                X