Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwight Buycks is no joke

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Look, guys, all he has to do is be better than DJ Augustin and let's be honest, that is not exactly the highest bar in the world to surpass.

2. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Augustin has always seemed like a bit of a douchebag to me. I hope DB has a decent rookie season for us. He seems fun to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Why are we in love with this guy so fast and right away? Let's all calm down.
    I agree but it's always been.

You'd be amazed how hot people were for JaMario Moon, Milt Palacio, ect. There's a new one every so many years.

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Look, guys, all he has to do is be better than DJ Augustin and let's be honest, that is not exactly the highest bar in the world to surpass.
    You sure about that? D.J. has been a contributor in the league for years now. This guy had a hard time even making a roster. My money is on D.J. being the first PG off the bench.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

You'd be amazed how hot people were for JaMario Moon, Milt Palacio, ect. There's a new one every so many years.

You sure about that? D.J. has been a contributor in the league for years now. This guy had a hard time even making a roster. My money is on D.J. being the first PG off the bench.
    I agree. DJ probably will be the first PG off the bench to start off the season, but I'm pretty sure he will be our backup PG eventually at the end of the season...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i disagree. in the suns game, he was playing solid defense on the the opposing guards. then again, the suns have marshall for a point guard who's garbage. but nonetheless, the man can move his feet. his lateral quickness is impressive.

if casey destroys anything, i hope it's kyle lowry's fat. the man has a potbelly.

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    Buycks has talent, and none of that talent has anything to do with Defense.

I'm not even going to compare him with other point guards, DWAYNE CASEY is going to DESTROY him in training camp.
    Protocall
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
    http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

exactly.

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Protocall

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not go crazy here...he still remains an unknown. He's got a sweet name, some nice speed and looks like he has about 3 or 4 speeds. But all of this does not matter until he faces an NBA defense.

Hopefully, when he does get in the game, he will be able to use his different speeds to get by guys, and he looks capable of making the right pass out of the drive. However, I don't see him getting anywhere close to the basket against NBA bigs, finishing through contact like he was in Vegas.

Not going to see much court time, may spend alot of time in the D League this season. Regardless, he's been a joy to watch so far.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

heeeeey cmon now. jamario moon was sick. he eventually became a starter at one point. from the globetrotters, to the nba.

all i'm saying is that, i know the odds are against him, but the man has speed and talent. if he continues this in the preseason, i think he`s def going to raise some eyebrows, and DJ will average 7 minutes off the bench

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

Protocall

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i just miss the TJ ford days. and Buycks`speed is reminscent of that. if not that, then at least of a darren collison at minimum. it`d be nice to have a legit PG who can push the pace like him and is a legit pass first point guard. lowry was never in that category as calderon as far as playmaking, and maybe i`m being overly optimistic, but i think buycks has that potential (shooting wise like calderon, no. playmaking wise, yes)
    Protocall

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed and defense are admirable qualities in a PG, but I personally would want a PG that is very intelligent, knows how to pass the ball/create for others, and can shoot the ball at a consistent level.

Buycks has a long way to go to prove these qualities to me, but I am still a fan of the signing. He's a low risk/high reward player. He shouldn't challenge Lowry for starters minutes, but should hopefully not be a liability when he's playing backup.

However I assume Casey will play DJ more than DB simply because DJ has been in the league longer. Casey loves his vets.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, how soon we forget.....Myck Kabongo....most everyone's flavour of the draft?

Post Thanks / Like

I like Buycks, solid skills; ability to get to the rim, finish in traffic, terrific athleticism, good defender. These skills are mainly from reading him against some NBA talent, but mostly scrubs. I'm one of those people who do believe Summer League is a good indicator if a specific player is actually professional talent.

To be realistic, he's going to be a guy that doesn't show out as well in games against NBA teams (scoring 28 points, or dropping double-doubles), compared to what he's doing in the SL, but I feel he'll be able to hold his ground, which is definitely good enough for me for a 3rd stringer.

I think the optimism on here is just about right, he's a very good pickup, he's obviously NBA calibre, he's cheap, he's also fairly young at 24, and won an MVP award over at France for the BCM Gravelines.
    In my honest opinion, he might prove to be a solid rotation player in the league, it's a low-risk, high-reward type thing. If he doesn't pan out the way management sees it, dump him.

The point guard rotations is just right, and no longer a weakness. Lowry/Augustin/Buycks, and Lowry doesn't have competition - car keys are his.

Raptors Republic Rookie Profster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Protocall wrote: View Post
    i disagree. in the suns game, he was playing solid defense on the the opposing guards. then again, the suns have marshall for a point guard who's garbage. but nonetheless, the man can move his feet. his lateral quickness is impressive.

if casey destroys anything, i hope it's kyle lowry's fat. the man has a potbelly.
    See what happens? We bring a pg to Canada and we turn him into a bouncer (fat fux...300 lbs of canuck beer)
    For the backup ...... may the best man win.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, I'm re-watching the Suns game right now. NOBODY could stop him; he's just too fast, his handles are really nice, he can find guys effectively. I have no reason to believe he can't challenge Augustin for that backup spot.

Augustin was a serious detriment to the Pacers team last year, I don't think he will ever be as effective as when he was getting good minutes with the Bobcats. You always like experience as a coach, so he'll start the season as the primary backup. I have faith that Buycks will push him out of that spot over the season, though.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quickness kills and translate extremely well in the NBA. The thing is he knows how to use his quickness. He showed really good change of direction and change of pace. When add in his size for the position and his shooting ability that bonds well for him.

The thing liked about him against the sun is that he realized that he had to be scorer with JV being out. Everything was going to the rim too. He know Marshall couldn't stay in front of him and wouldn't let up. Also like he went left the whole time. Thats interesting seeing that his right handed. So naturally you would think he could be more explosive.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    You always like experience as a coach, so he'll start the season as the primary backup. I have faith that Buycks will push him out of that spot over the season, though.
    I think the spot is Buycks' to lose actually. Not 100% on that though

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of a keen understanding in how to run the offense (pick and roll/kickouts/dump ball to JV) I think my favorite thing about him is his relentlessness in getting to the rim. We'll see if it translates into the NBA but getting to the basket is a specific, important NBA skill.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Speed and defense are admirable qualities in a PG, but I personally would want a PG that is very intelligent, knows how to pass the ball/create for others, and can shoot the ball at a consistent level.

Buycks has a long way to go to prove these qualities to me, but I am still a fan of the signing. He's a low risk/high reward player. He shouldn't challenge Lowry for starters minutes, but should hopefully not be a liability when he's playing backup.

However I assume Casey will play DJ more than DB simply because DJ has been in the league longer. Casey loves his vets.
    Jose Calderon??
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

20. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buyckshot wrote: View Post
    I think the spot is Buycks' to lose actually. Not 100% on that though
    I agree with this. He got the multi year deal. I think augustins one year deal is the back up plan if buykes fails at this level.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Jul 21st, 2013 at 10:47 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie EL_CHAPO's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information