Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: Dwight Buycks is no joke

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Ugh, give a Raptors fan an inch and they'll take a mile.
    My sentiments exactly
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post


    looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...
    Ya, in the whole 35.3 minutes of court time he gets this season until he gets cut in December. Be real interesting
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Rookie EL_CHAPO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    905
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Ya, in the whole 35.3 minutes of court time he gets this season until he gets cut in December. Be real interesting


    you might be right, but i really hope you aren't...

    if he is so shit than why even sign him?
    why bother giving him a shot at proving us wrong and not sign any other UDFA pg that doesn't have his abilities?
    we could probably get a player like that for less money.. NBA scouts must see something in that kids athleticism that separates him from others, no?

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    anyways, i'm going to trust MU on this one. last i checked he built a pretty decent team out west while we all yell at each other on the internet.
    @jerboat

  5. Like Fully liked this post
  6. #45
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    also holy shit @ 2:12-14 of that video. laughed so hard.
    @jerboat

  7. #46
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post
    you might be right, but i really hope you aren't...

    if he is so shit than why even sign him?
    why bother giving him a shot at proving us wrong and not sign any other UDFA pg that doesn't have his abilities?
    we could probably get a player like that for less money.. NBA scouts must see something in that kids athleticism that separates him from others, no?
    He's a low risk- high reward type. You don't have much invested in him. he doesn't work out you can cut him no harm, no foul. If he does work out and turns into something, well that only makes you(Ujiri) look good.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  8. #47
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post


    looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...
    He's really athletic out there and agressive. Not settling for a jumpshot. That's where I actually feel like he will struggle. This is summer league, so defenders aren't as great as those in the NBA and also it won't be as easy for him to get to the paint especially with NBA bigs. I feel like he should develop more of a consistent jumpshot along with his aggressive drives to the basket.

  9. #48
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    He's really athletic out there and agressive. Not settling for a jumpshot. That's where I actually feel like he will struggle. This is summer league, so defenders aren't as great as those in the NBA and also it won't be as easy for him to get to the paint especially with NBA bigs. I feel like he should develop more of a consistent jumpshot along with his aggressive drives to the basket.
    No left hand at all. all his layups were with his right hand, even from the left side of the basket. It will take about 35 seconds for opposing scouts to figure him out. He will be much easier to defend with no left hand.

  10. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    No left hand at all. all his layups were with his right hand, even from the left side of the basket. It will take about 35 seconds for opposing scouts to figure him out. He will be much easier to defend with no left hand.
    I am not entirely sure about that....funnily enuff at approx. 0.14 secs he goes left handed to the rim. He also crosses over really well using both hands of course and I could swear I have seen him make left handed passes in a couple of the games (with t/os I admit!). I agree though that for most of this vid he uses his right h. to finish. Since he seems to have control with both handling the ball I think this vid series of shots maybe an aberration...or coaches can alert him.

  11. #50
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    No left hand at all. all his layups were with his right hand, even from the left side of the basket. It will take about 35 seconds for opposing scouts to figure him out. He will be much easier to defend with no left hand.
    He does have a preference to the right, but there were various left handed layups, and those right hand on left side, its when he's in traffic, it puts a body between the defender and the ball, protecting from a block, and for drawing a foul. He used his left hand on the right side of the basket.

  12. #51
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I am not entirely sure about that....funnily enuff at approx. 0.14 secs he goes left handed to the rim. ...
    My mistake. He definitely uses his left on that one. Still seems like an extremely heavy reliance on his right hand, but we'll only see during season games. Looking forward to it. Hope he works out.

  13. #52
    Raptors Republic Starter IROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa/Toronto
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I guess the question really is, is he a better option than JL3? The tandem of Augustin AND Buyckes has to be better than Telfair and JL3 right??

  14. #53
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,054
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They are better due to their youth and lower wages. That's about it imo.

  15. #54
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Buycks seems better than JLIII. Maybe not as good from deep, but everything else is probably on par or better

  16. #55
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Found an interesting article on Buycks:

    Just over two weeks ago, Dwight Buycks started his summer league by scoring 12 points and dishing 13 assists. When Oklahoma City played its final game that Friday, he didn't suit up. On the strength of his four games -- and his MVP season last year in the French Pro A League -- the Toronto Raptors offered him a one-year, fully-guaranteed contract. He accepted.
    Buycks is sitting in a cramped locker room at the Thomas & Mack Center, having just played his final summer league game for the Raptors. Against the Phoenix Suns on Saturday, he erupted for 28 points on 11-for-20 shooting, adding four rebounds and four assists. As Buycks, Vegas summer league's leader in points (23.0) and assists (7.0) per game, tells a group of reporters about his journey, his teammates compliment him at the other side of the room. After this he'll go home to Milwaukee and spend his time working out at Marquette, his alma mater, then it'll be time for training camp and his first NBA season.
    "Are you gonna stop?" Buycks says. "By not getting drafted, are you gonna stop and just say, ‘Well, that's what I wanted to do, it didn't happen so now I'm just going to wait,' or are you just gonna say, ‘Okay, I didn't get drafted, now let's get to work for the next day and see what we can do and see if something else can happen?'"
    "[He] earned everything, and I respect his battle and his grind," Raptors power forward Quincy Acy says after heaping praise upon Buycks for his basketball IQ, competitiveness and unselfishness. "Can't say enough about him."
    As the Raptors roster stands, it looks like Buycks will battle with the recently signed D.J. Augustin for minutes behind starter Kyle Lowry. With Augustin's five years of NBA experience and top-10 pick pedigree, Buycks might be considered the underdog. If Buycks' last couple of weeks tell us anything, though, it's that these things can change quickly.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/2...e-2013-raptors
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  17. #56
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm pretty sure JL3 couldn't even go left so... Buycks not using his left hand isn't the end of the world, but yeah, this guy seems fun and all but I doubt he averages more than 7 minutes a game.

  18. #57
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Somebody knows a link to the summerleague games?

  19. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I didn't watch any of the games, but I did watch the highlight reel posted above. He probably has he ability to beat his man off the bounce, but the help D and rim protection is much better in the NBA. Unfortunately I think he only finishes 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 of those drives against an NBA defense. Good to see he had a nice game and I'd love for him to beat out Augustin for the back up spot, but I'm not nearly as high on him as I was before watching the highlight reel. I guess y'all just talked him up to much!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  20. #59
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    I didn't watch any of the games, but I did watch the highlight reel posted above. He probably has he ability to beat his man off the bounce, but the help D and rim protection is much better in the NBA. Unfortunately I think he only finishes 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 of those drives against an NBA defense. Good to see he had a nice game and I'd love for him to beat out Augustin for the back up spot, but I'm not nearly as high on him as I was before watching the highlight reel. I guess y'all just talked him up to much!
    It's called a HIGHlight reel for a reason. Haha.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  21. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Guys, we're talking about a guy in the same level as Patty Mills and Sundiata Gaines. If he can stay in the league for as long as they have then it's most likely because he didn't screw up and not because he's a game changer. I know when you're a Raptors fan you want to grasp at every straw and use it as an angle for why we're going to be successful, but lets be realistic about the Buycks signing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •