No announcement yet.

Dwight Buycks is no joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, how soon we forget.....Myck Kabongo....most everyone's flavour of the draft?

Comment

I like Buycks, solid skills; ability to get to the rim, finish in traffic, terrific athleticism, good defender. These skills are mainly from reading him against some NBA talent, but mostly scrubs. I'm one of those people who do believe Summer League is a good indicator if a specific player is actually professional talent.

To be realistic, he's going to be a guy that doesn't show out as well in games against NBA teams (scoring 28 points, or dropping double-doubles), compared to what he's doing in the SL, but I feel he'll be able to hold his ground, which is definitely good enough for me for a 3rd stringer.

I think the optimism on here is just about right, he's a very good pickup, he's obviously NBA calibre, he's cheap, he's also fairly young at 24, and won an MVP award over at France for the BCM Gravelines.
      In my honest opinion, he might prove to be a solid rotation player in the league, it's a low-risk, high-reward type thing. If he doesn't pan out the way management sees it, dump him.

The point guard rotations is just right, and no longer a weakness. Lowry/Augustin/Buycks, and Lowry doesn't have competition - car keys are his.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Protocall wrote: View Post
        i disagree. in the suns game, he was playing solid defense on the the opposing guards. then again, the suns have marshall for a point guard who's garbage. but nonetheless, the man can move his feet. his lateral quickness is impressive.

if casey destroys anything, i hope it's kyle lowry's fat. the man has a potbelly.
        See what happens? We bring a pg to Canada and we turn him into a bouncer (fat fux...300 lbs of canuck beer)
        For the backup ...... may the best man win.

Comment

Man, I'm re-watching the Suns game right now. NOBODY could stop him; he's just too fast, his handles are really nice, he can find guys effectively. I have no reason to believe he can't challenge Augustin for that backup spot.

Augustin was a serious detriment to the Pacers team last year, I don't think he will ever be as effective as when he was getting good minutes with the Bobcats. You always like experience as a coach, so he'll start the season as the primary backup. I have faith that Buycks will push him out of that spot over the season, though.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Quickness kills and translate extremely well in the NBA. The thing is he knows how to use his quickness. He showed really good change of direction and change of pace. When add in his size for the position and his shooting ability that bonds well for him.

The thing liked about him against the sun is that he realized that he had to be scorer with JV being out. Everything was going to the rim too. He know Marshall couldn't stay in front of him and wouldn't let up. Also like he went left the whole time. Thats interesting seeing that his right handed. So naturally you would think he could be more explosive.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              You always like experience as a coach, so he'll start the season as the primary backup. I have faith that Buycks will push him out of that spot over the season, though.
              I think the spot is Buycks' to lose actually. Not 100% on that though

Comment

Outside of a keen understanding in how to run the offense (pick and roll/kickouts/dump ball to JV) I think my favorite thing about him is his relentlessness in getting to the rim. We'll see if it translates into the NBA but getting to the basket is a specific, important NBA skill.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Speed and defense are admirable qualities in a PG, but I personally would want a PG that is very intelligent, knows how to pass the ball/create for others, and can shoot the ball at a consistent level.

Buycks has a long way to go to prove these qualities to me, but I am still a fan of the signing. He's a low risk/high reward player. He shouldn't challenge Lowry for starters minutes, but should hopefully not be a liability when he's playing backup.

However I assume Casey will play DJ more than DB simply because DJ has been in the league longer. Casey loves his vets.
                  Jose Calderon??
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Buyckshot wrote: View Post
                    I think the spot is Buycks' to lose actually. Not 100% on that though
                    I agree with this. He got the multi year deal. I think augustins one year deal is the back up plan if buykes fails at this level.
                    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:47 PM.

Comment

looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                        Ugh, give a Raptors fan an inch and they'll take a mile.
                        My sentiments exactly
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

EL_CHAPO wrote: View Post

looked real athletic out there, gunna be exciting to see if he can do this in the nba...
                          Ya, in the whole 35.3 minutes of court time he gets this season until he gets cut in December. Be real interesting
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            Ya, in the whole 35.3 minutes of court time he gets this season until he gets cut in December. Be real interesting

you might be right, but i really hope you aren't...

if he is so shit than why even sign him?
                            why bother giving him a shot at proving us wrong and not sign any other UDFA pg that doesn't have his abilities?
                            we could probably get a player like that for less money.. NBA scouts must see something in that kids athleticism that separates him from others, no?

Comment

anyways, i'm going to trust MU on this one. last i checked he built a pretty decent team out west while we all yell at each other on the internet.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

also holy shit @ 2:12-14 of that video. laughed so hard.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X