Allen Iverson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Iverson

Allen iverson...... i wasn't old enough to watch him play, and i got a few questions, even though in my eyes he was the best of the best, or atleast the best pg to play the game.

it all starts when we were on a subway (yes, its a story) (with the whole class) on the way to a jays game. then all of a sudden some idiot say that allen iverson was a shooting guard, not only that but he was a westbrook (westbrook- a sg who is forced to play the pg position) now is AI a shooting guard or a point guard?

story #2
    chris brown and rihanaa... some how it lead to chris browns trying to pull an allen iverson. now i wasnt about to let them talk about my husband like that (they had to listen to a lecture evven though i didnt know what i was talking about). my second question was allen iverson a woman beater? please say no..

story #3
    where the hell is iverson now and his six children and whats up with his house?
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

He wasn't a pg. he was a sg, who was the size of a pg. But, his insane speed helped him make it in the league. Wear and tear caught up with as he aged and he no longer had the insane speed. But, his ego was too massive for him to not be a star..

He was a great player. But, a douche.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

P.S. "Douche" answers your other two questions..
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

but...but he played pg .... but his coach made him play sg ...right
        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

It's a meaningless distinction, he was an iso guard. You pair Iverson with a bigger guard, preferably someone who can defend, shoot and who will move the ball. Like Courtney Lee or Mario Chalmers. And then let Iverson do his thing.

Either way, he'd be less of a star today. The game has changed. Isolation basketball is far less important.

Comment

The other way around, he played SG on offense while Eric Snow played PG, Snow guarded shooting guards, because he's 3 inches taller than AI, and Iverson guarded PGs. Later in his career he was forced to play as a scoring point guard, so the idiot on the train was right.

Comment

I think the bigger issue with Iverson, and why he was never as good as he could've been, is that he was a shitty teammate in the sense of building a team around him. He had to be the franchise guy, but worse, he had to be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th option on offense. The 76ers 2nd option came off the bench (McKie) to accomodate this.

You can't build a winning team when the leader of your team only passes to other guys as a last resort. The year they made it to the finals, they had A LOT of limited offensive players around Iverson, and I think it was by design, because it's hard to make him function in a system with other talented players.

Comment

Respect:

I'll always remember AI the year he dueled Vinsanity in the playoffs, beat a very good Raptors team in round two, and carried the 76ers to the finals that year putting up some bigtime games. Looking back at that 76ers roster, it had no business making it past the Raptors let alone then slugging their way to the finals. That was one of the greatest playoff runs by a player in the history of the game, and the best I've ever been privalged to watch. What he did at his size, the beating he took nightly getting to the line time after time, it was amazing. The man was tough as nails, fearless, relentless, a warrior.

Had he been a "good guy", like Grant Hill or Tim Duncan or someone like that he'd still be in the game if he wanted to be and there would be no doubt about the Hall upon retirement. I think he'll still get in but it may not be first ballot because the voters are notoriously fickle about the man.

Pound for pound you would be hard pressed to name a single player more talented in the history of the sport.

Comment

Regardless of how big of a douche he was and the fact that he was a shitty teammate, I owe him my love to basketball because he's what got me interested in the game. Before I found out who Allen Iverson was I wasn't even a sports fan.

In his prime he was hands down the most exciting player to watch play the game.

He'll probably be dead or in jail by the time he's 50 though which is a god damn shame. I like to watch Iverson youtube mixes every once in a while and reminisce about the good ole days.
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Oh he was definitely supremely talented, but he's one of the classic "own worst enemy" examples from the NBA, both on and off the court.

I mean, as Apollo said, that 76ers team had no business making it to the finals. But other teams he was on, arguably more talented and while IVerson was still damn good, couldn't make it work. The fact that he had to carry that load was essential to their team being successful, but limited how successful they could be.

As for off the court....guy's just crazy/stupid. That really is a shame. Way too proud....and way too dumb about it.

Comment

Let's not forget that he played 14 seasons. A lot of guys, really likable guys, can't make it work. It was management's fault for not putting guys around him which complimented his play. He was what he was, it was obvious he would not bend so they should have worked with that; they probably did but weren't good enough to find him what was needed to build a champ.

When he fell out of the league it was around the time when guys start retiring anyway. Soon no one is going to remember about Denver, Memphis and Detroit just like everyone forgets about Jordan suiting up for the Wiz and the Glove in yellow and purple.

Comment

i was never a big iverson fan, but i damn sure respected him. as apollo said, that year the sixers made it to the finals he was a complete force of nature. it was one of the craziest seasons ive ever seen a player have. closest thing i can think of is what lebron did this year. he's one of those guys that needed a very strong minded, scheme orientated coach, though. basically, larry brown was the only guy that seemed to get him to play to his talent. it's too bad.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hey, hey! Wins Produced said he was only the ninth best player on the Sixers that year! They would have easily won it all if it weren't for him.

Comment

I don't hear people talk about "wins produced" but his WS (win share) that year was tenth in the league. His PER was 7th in the league. His PPG was 1st in the league. He also won league MVP, All-Star MVP and NBA 1st team.

All that said, overall if you wanted to just stick with advanced stats and not consider real on court play you could argue that V.C., T-Mac and Kobe all had better seasons than A.I. but of course none of those guys ever carried a team through the playoffs like A.I. Few have. Even MJ couldn't get to the finals before he got help.

Like Ceez, I will now clarify that I've never been an A.I. fan but I am an admirer of what he accomplished on the floor. He's on the best to never win it.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              Hey, hey! Wins Produced said he was only the ninth best player on the Sixers that year! They would have easily won it all if it weren't for him.
                              It's a crap stat. Look at some of their other conclusions or projections for next year. They just fail the eye test across the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X