No announcement yet.

Allen Iverson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Iverson changed the NBA and Basketball forever.

As I've stated in a few other threads, Iverson was my second favourite player growing up, besides Carter.
    He had a swagger about him that so many players these days think they are imitating by being douchey-self-important dweebs. What they don't understand is that Iverson backed that swagger with a presense on the court that was matched by NO ONE. He was 6'0", 150lbs soaking wet; but his heart made him play bigger than any 7-footer out there.
    I remember one game where he dislocated his shoulder in the first half, and was back by the 3rd quarter.
    NOTHING could keep this guy from playing the game at a high level.

The only problem is that he KNEW he was that good.
    I mean, ya so what, he didn't like practice ... I mean we ARE talking about Practice ... pratice... practice...

Not to mention, the NBA invented a god-damn dress code because of HIS influence on hip-hop and fashion.

But I mean, leading the league in scoring 4 different seasons; Steals 3 different times; MVP; All-Star MVP; Second All-Time Playoff Scoring Average (behind only Michal Jordan)... AI will be in the HOF. Book it.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Of course he will. Every MVP ends up there, no exceptions.

Comment

Yeah, ofcourse he'll get in. First ballot, though?
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how impartial the voters will be. Iverson is a nobrainer choice for the Hall, there's no rational basis for a disagreement and delay. Then again, so is Bill Fitch, in my view. Yet he can't get in.

I think some of the voters see the voting process as some type of purgatory and vote no just because they want the guy to wait. Which isn't how it's supposed to work. 2nd 3rd ballot should be guys who are borderline, like Penny or Grant Hill or Reggie Miller. Guys where there's a legit disagreement about, and you end up waiting some years and put it in front of a new set of voters with fresh eyes, and then maybe they get in.
          But guys like Iverson are obvious Hall of Famers.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I don't hear people talk about "wins produced" but his WS (win share) that year was tenth in the league. His PER was 7th in the league. His PPG was 1st in the league. He also won league MVP, All-Star MVP and NBA 1st team.

All that said, overall if you wanted to just stick with advanced stats and not consider real on court play you could argue that V.C., T-Mac and Kobe all had better seasons than A.I. but of course none of those guys ever carried a team through the playoffs like A.I. Few have. Even MJ couldn't get to the finals before he got help.

Like Ceez, I will now clarify that I've never been an A.I. fan but I am an admirer of what he accomplished on the floor. He's on the best to never win it.
            BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            It's a crap stat. Look at some of their other conclusions or projections for next year. They just fail the eye test across the board.
            I was just having fun with people who blindly follow 'advanced stats'.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              Hey, hey! Wins Produced said he was only the ninth best player on the Sixers that year! They would have easily won it all if it weren't for him.
              This is why you can't always use advanced stats lol Sixers would have not even made the playoffs without Iverson that year, they honestly had nobody besides him
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

#7, holy fucking hustle!
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Allen Iverson in a lot of ways was the anti-carter.

I can't remember what game it was (I think 5 or 6?) There was about four plays in near succession.

1) Carter goes to the hoop, gets fouled, no call, complains to the ref about the call

2) Iverson goes the other way coast to coast for a lay in.

3) Iverson goes to the hoop, gets fouled, no call. Instead of complaining about the call, be busts his ass back of defense and makes a steal

4) Goes the other way for a lay in.

I may not be remembering it exactly correctly, but that was the just of it. That sequence was the moment when I realized Carter wasn't going to be the basketball savior I thought he was.

After the series I apologized to the guy I had been arguing with all year about who was the better player.

Iverson is responsible for me to get past my carter delusions. He left it all on the floor.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                  X