Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 125

Thread: Amir at the weed store

  1. #81
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I see better with glasses. Does this give me an advantage?

    What are you even trying to argue at this point?

    From all your posts, you're basically saying whatever helps you in any way (tylenol, vitamin C and tiger's blood) is basically a PED.
    Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
    Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
    Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

  2. #82
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Not really.

    Laws/rules are based on the average.

    If 100 athletes take HGH, 99 of them (probably 100) will become better
    if 100 athletes smoke weed only a handful may see a performance boost, the greater majority would see a decrease in performance. Therefore it is not performance enhancing.

    Skittles can make Marshawn Lynch run over your ass but if it doesn't work for a larger group than it's not performance enhancing, at best it's a weird chemical reaction for that person and most likely it's just a placebo.


    Edit: The "Not really" comment was in reply to Nilanka.

    +1

    Maybe LBF will understand now?

    Or spill the beans on that fact that he's so against it because his younger brother was hooked on sweet Mary Jane and constantly ate all the Cheetos at home, leaving LBF without any snacks after school?
    Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
    Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
    Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

  3. Like Dr. James Naismith liked this post
  4. #83
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I see better with glasses. Does this give me an advantage?
    You actually just argued my point.

    Compensating for disabilities in order to fairly compete is different than enhancing abilities in order to gain an unfair advantage (Glasses for Eyes, Pot for Anxiety).

    Guys in the NBA can wear contacts or Glasses as much as they want to compensate for bad eyesight.
    They can also choose not to (Rudy Gay) as it may impede on their abilities to perform (or look tough).

    This is not seen as 'getting the upper hand'. Its just seen as being fair.
    In Masai we Trust.

  5. #84
    Raptors Republic Rookie Vimsanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can see the point that LBF is making, but I have to argue that weed is not a PED.

    Although it may effect a certain individual's performance (or simply allow them to perform at all), per se, I believe that - in sports - the term PED refers to a drug that is proven to give an athlete a legitimate physical or mental advantage and cannot be used by other athletes / is significantly harmful to the athlete's health, thus, creating an unequal playing field.

    I don't know if you have ever been under the influence of marijuana, but I can tell you from personal experience that, if I was stoned, my performance would be anything but enhanced. Instead, I'd probably be trying to pull off shit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDKtzjLS9k), and failing miserably, mind you. In fact, I think the same could be said for 95% of the human population. (Source: getting ripped and playing ball with some buddies at uni, it wasn't pretty.)

    If anything, weed is not a PED, but probably a PRD, if you will. :P

  6. Like Joey liked this post
  7. #85
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I think the anxiety argument is a bit off, however. Someone like Royce White is at an unfair disadvantage by having to deal with his anxiety. So to be able to smoke a joint to aid in that, would only be leveling the playing field.

    And someone could argue that eating Pasta and drinking coffee before a game helps them play better. Doesn't make it a PED.
    I don't think smoking a joint is a good way to treat anxiety. For most people it just enhances what they already feel, thus creating even more anxiety. Also, especially people with psychiatric disorders (or a family history of) should be very careful, because it can create even more psychiatric problems. I know people want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing, but I'm not one of those people.

  8. #86
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I don't think smoking a joint is a good way to treat anxiety. For most people it just enhances what they already feel, thus creating even more anxiety. Also, especially people with psychiatric disorders (or a family history of) should be very careful, because it can create even more psychiatric problems. I know people want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing, but I'm not one of those people.
    I'm not saying its a good way to treat anxiety.
    I'm saying it is a way that people have been known to use to cope with dibilitating anxiety. Just a fact.

    And just like some people would rather not wear contacts for their eyesight, as they don't like how it feels etc.; some people will choose not smoke pot for their anxiety. That's not to say its not a valid option that works for some people.

    And further more, I'm not at all in the group of "people who want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing".

    I just know the facts, and when compared to Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is NO comparison to health side effects that are caused.


    But we've now officially gone into "Off-Topic" territory. Might have to move this thread.
    In Masai we Trust.

  9. #87
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying its a good way to treat anxiety.
    I'm saying it is a way that people have been known to use to cope with dibilitating anxiety. Just a fact.

    And just like some people would rather not wear contacts for their eyesight, as they don't like how it feels etc.; some people will choose not smoke pot for their anxiety. That's not to say its not a valid option that works for some people.

    And further more, I'm not at all in the group of "people who want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing".

    I just know the facts, and when compared to Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is NO comparison to health side effects that are caused.


    But we've now officially gone into "Off-Topic" territory. Might have to move this thread.
    I think this is a big part of the legalizing/decriminalizing argument. I don't think anyone would claim weed is harmless, but the level of harm it produces is largely dependent on the user, and the negative consequences are even more largely limited to the consumer, especially when compared to alcohol, which has insane collateral damage. For smoking, even cigarettes, at least you can minimize/restrict the impact it has on others. And sure, there are arguments of how your consumption and possibly increased anxiety affects others, but smoking cigarettes is hardly calming (it only is if you're addicted), and alcohol, again, usually ends up having worse collateral damage.

    And in the end, the problem isn't that people should be allowed to smoke weed, it's that some dude growing a few plants (possibly just so he doesn't have to deal with the illegal market!) could then have to do time in seriously harsh prisons where he's lucky if he doesn't get raped on a regular basis. His life choice to smoke pot is not the social drain it's made out to be, and it does not have the widespread consequences of similar substances.

  10. Like Nilanka, p00ka, Joey liked this post
  11. #88
    Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    No, I'm not being a smart ass. I'm trying to prove the point and asking; where do you draw the line?
    I've been thinking about this a lot ever since the Jays signed Melky. But I tend to take the slippery slope/where do you draw the line argument the other way.

    The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with PED's as a whole. It's not a very popular opinion to hold, but I just don't see how one can, with intellectual integrity intact, claim that taking testosterone is cheating (and hence morally abominable) but taking Protein and Creatine supplements is not.

    They are fundamentally the same notion. The only principled distinction you can really make is that the latter is generally safer (and even then, the statistics about the 'inherent risks' associated with anabolics are very misleading -- most of the health problems come from abuse of the product, most of the abuse comes from ignorance about how to use them, and most of the ignorance comes from the dangerous stigma surrounding the drugs. What's the correct dosage of testosterone to take isn't exactly an easy question to ask your trainer.)

    So where do we draw the line? As far as I'm concerned, everything should be fair game. After all, think how significant of a 'competitive advantage' Lebron was afforded by his genetics. Lebron hits the genetic jackpot and I'm a cheater because I want to supersede my own physical limitations? Doesn't seem fair to me.

    So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.

  12. Like Vimsanity liked this post
  13. #89
    Raptors Republic Rookie Vimsanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.
    Shit just hit the fan!

  14. #90
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.
    I like it.


  15. Like themasao liked this post
  16. #91
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you ever tried smoking up and playing ball??!!

    A friend of mind (cough * cough *) has done it a few times. He described it as your head is really in the game but your body is about three steps behind. Seriously, when you're done laughing you'll also notice you're losing 7-0.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  17. Like Vimsanity liked this post
  18. #92
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying its a good way to treat anxiety.
    I'm saying it is a way that people have been known to use to cope with dibilitating anxiety. Just a fact.

    And just like some people would rather not wear contacts for their eyesight, as they don't like how it feels etc.; some people will choose not smoke pot for their anxiety. That's not to say its not a valid option that works for some people.

    And further more, I'm not at all in the group of "people who want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing".

    I just know the facts, and when compared to Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is NO comparison to health side effects that are caused.


    But we've now officially gone into "Off-Topic" territory. Might have to move this thread.
    It's summertime; almost all threads are off-topic...

    I didn't mean to imply that this was your position by the way; sorry about that.

    I know it's a way that people have been trying to treat anxiety, but I'm not sure if there is a sufficient scientific base for this, because all I know is that the risks for increasing anxiety are pretty high, especially for social disorders. Also, as a I said, for students it's a good way to mess up their lives. I'm not saying that they should start binge drinking instead.

    Now, if you compare it to cigarettes, I am of the opposite opinion and don't see why there is "NO" comparison, certainly with the added health problems that smoking cigarettes doesn't have. My fact are probably different from your facts...

  19. #93
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally, if I want to get an edge before playing some pickup ball I like to do a big ol shot of heroin. I find it really gets me in the zone.

    Wait a second! It's illegal for professional athletes to do heroin too?! WHEN WILL THE TYRANNY STOP?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  20. Like Xixak liked this post
  21. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Personally, if I want to get an edge before playing some pickup ball I like to do a big ol shot of heroin. I find it really gets me in the zone.

    Wait a second! It's illegal for professional athletes to do heroin too?! WHEN WILL THE TYRANNY STOP?
    Lmao 10/10 post

  22. #95
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote themasao wrote: View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot ever since the Jays signed Melky. But I tend to take the slippery slope/where do you draw the line argument the other way.

    The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with PED's as a whole. It's not a very popular opinion to hold, but I just don't see how one can, with intellectual integrity intact, claim that taking testosterone is cheating (and hence morally abominable) but taking Protein and Creatine supplements is not.

    They are fundamentally the same notion. The only principled distinction you can really make is that the latter is generally safer (and even then, the statistics about the 'inherent risks' associated with anabolics are very misleading -- most of the health problems come from abuse of the product, most of the abuse comes from ignorance about how to use them, and most of the ignorance comes from the dangerous stigma surrounding the drugs. What's the correct dosage of testosterone to take isn't exactly an easy question to ask your trainer.)

    So where do we draw the line? As far as I'm concerned, everything should be fair game. After all, think how significant of a 'competitive advantage' Lebron was afforded by his genetics. Lebron hits the genetic jackpot and I'm a cheater because I want to supersede my own physical limitations? Doesn't seem fair to me.

    So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.
    Fuck yeah!!!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  23. #96
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are plenty of prescription drugs that help with anxiety. From studies that I've read weed can have an adverse effect and create more anxiety for people. I think in many cases most use it as an excuse to smoke it.
    Haha for the "from what i have read" haha.
    Me too i have done a lot of research and started reading up on the topic about 17 years ago. Been through a lot of books and i have also found that sometimes it can create anxiety or a spiraling effect where one thought leads to another and patients fall down the rabbit hole.
    Haha

  24. #97
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    That's way too easy. A lot of it is about how often you use it; thc can be very damaging; tolerance policies also lead to stronger substances and that's not a positive either. It's also not recommended for use when you go to class, better not have high expectations for the future.
    Bro I know kids who smoke weed everyday and get 90s in class . Its all about how you handle it . Millions of people have died from alcohol no one has died from smoking weed .

  25. #98
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Weed isn't "healthy" for anyone. It's simply less destructive than alcohol.
    that's not true man if you smoke just green with no batch that is not bad for you . Also weed is a medicine and poses health benefits. lets be honest if there is any drug that is safest to be doing then its weed. Its safer then any other drug and it doesn't totally fuck you up

  26. #99
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if you ask any cop its a waste of time going after people who smoke weed ,Toronto cops don't care . Guelph cops are just fags who care about that type of shit cause they have nothing to do lol

  27. #100
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hassan wrote: View Post
    Bro I know kids who smoke weed everyday and get 90s in class . Its all about how you handle it . Millions of people have died from alcohol no one has died from smoking weed .
    Where did you get that no one has died?Just an example. But that's not the point of what I said, I'm not comparing it with alcohol thus saying it's more damaging.

    The fact that you know some kids who do well in school isn't exactly good evidence, effects on learning and school results are well documented.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •