No announcement yet.

Amir at the weed store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does weed enhance one's performance? Please explain.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      How does weed enhance one's performance? Please explain.
      I'm not suggesting that weed should be considered a PED, but I can certainly see the slippery slope argument.

If weed helps a player like Royce White overcome his natural inabilities (i.e. anxiety), then one might conclude that weed enhanced his performance.

LBF raises an interesting point about where to draw the line.

Comment

I see better with glasses. Does this give me an advantage?
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Not really.

Laws/rules are based on the average.

If 100 athletes take HGH, 99 of them (probably 100) will become better
          if 100 athletes smoke weed only a handful may see a performance boost, the greater majority would see a decrease in performance. Therefore it is not performance enhancing.

Skittles can make Marshawn Lynch run over your ass but if it doesn't work for a larger group than it's not performance enhancing, at best it's a weird chemical reaction for that person and most likely it's just a placebo.

Edit: The "Not really" comment was in reply to Nilanka.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I'm not suggesting that weed should be considered a PED, but I can certainly see the slippery slope argument.

If weed helps a player like Royce White overcome his natural inabilities (i.e. anxiety), then one might conclude that weed enhanced his performance.

LBF raises an interesting point about where to draw the line.
            Sorry, but I don't buy it. There are plenty of prescription drugs that help with anxiety. From studies that I've read weed can have an adverse effect and create more anxiety for people. I think in many cases most use it as an excuse to smoke it.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

What are you even trying to argue at this point?

From all your posts, you're basically saying whatever helps you in any way (tylenol, vitamin C and tiger's blood) is basically a PED.
              Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
              Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
              Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                Not really.

Laws/rules are based on the average.

If 100 athletes take HGH, 99 of them (probably 100) will become better
                if 100 athletes smoke weed only a handful may see a performance boost, the greater majority would see a decrease in performance. Therefore it is not performance enhancing.

Skittles can make Marshawn Lynch run over your ass but if it doesn't work for a larger group than it's not performance enhancing, at best it's a weird chemical reaction for that person and most likely it's just a placebo.

Edit: The "Not really" comment was in reply to Nilanka.

+1

Maybe LBF will understand now?

Or spill the beans on that fact that he's so against it because his younger brother was hooked on sweet Mary Jane and constantly ate all the Cheetos at home, leaving LBF without any snacks after school?
                Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
                Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
                Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

You actually just argued my point.

Compensating for disabilities in order to fairly compete is different than enhancing abilities in order to gain an unfair advantage (Glasses for Eyes, Pot for Anxiety).

Guys in the NBA can wear contacts or Glasses as much as they want to compensate for bad eyesight.
                  They can also choose not to (Rudy Gay) as it may impede on their abilities to perform (or look tough).

This is not seen as 'getting the upper hand'. Its just seen as being fair.

Comment

I can see the point that LBF is making, but I have to argue that weed is not a PED.

Although it may effect a certain individual's performance (or simply allow them to perform at all), per se, I believe that - in sports - the term PED refers to a drug that is proven to give an athlete a legitimate physical or mental advantage and cannot be used by other athletes / is significantly harmful to the athlete's health, thus, creating an unequal playing field.

I don't know if you have ever been under the influence of marijuana, but I can tell you from personal experience that, if I was stoned, my performance would be anything but enhanced. Instead, I'd probably be trying to pull off shit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDKtzjLS9k), and failing miserably, mind you. In fact, I think the same could be said for 95% of the human population. (Source: getting ripped and playing ball with some buddies at uni, it wasn't pretty.)

If anything, weed is not a PED, but probably a PRD, if you will. :P

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      I think the anxiety argument is a bit off, however. Someone like Royce White is at an unfair disadvantage by having to deal with his anxiety. So to be able to smoke a joint to aid in that, would only be leveling the playing field.

And someone could argue that eating Pasta and drinking coffee before a game helps them play better. Doesn't make it a PED.
                      I don't think smoking a joint is a good way to treat anxiety. For most people it just enhances what they already feel, thus creating even more anxiety. Also, especially people with psychiatric disorders (or a family history of) should be very careful, because it can create even more psychiatric problems. I know people want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing, but I'm not one of those people.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I don't think smoking a joint is a good way to treat anxiety. For most people it just enhances what they already feel, thus creating even more anxiety. Also, especially people with psychiatric disorders (or a family history of) should be very careful, because it can create even more psychiatric problems. I know people want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing, but I'm not one of those people.
                        I'm not saying its a good way to treat anxiety.
                        I'm saying it is a way that people have been known to use to cope with dibilitating anxiety. Just a fact.

And just like some people would rather not wear contacts for their eyesight, as they don't like how it feels etc.; some people will choose not smoke pot for their anxiety. That's not to say its not a valid option that works for some people.

And further more, I'm not at all in the group of "people who want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing".

I just know the facts, and when compared to Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is NO comparison to health side effects that are caused.

But we've now officially gone into "Off-Topic" territory. Might have to move this thread.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          I'm not saying its a good way to treat anxiety.
                          I'm saying it is a way that people have been known to use to cope with dibilitating anxiety. Just a fact.

And just like some people would rather not wear contacts for their eyesight, as they don't like how it feels etc.; some people will choose not smoke pot for their anxiety. That's not to say its not a valid option that works for some people.

And further more, I'm not at all in the group of "people who want to think smoking is all good and cool and it's just the stubborn, conservative and hypocritic view that is against legalizing".

I just know the facts, and when compared to Alcohol or Cigarettes, there is NO comparison to health side effects that are caused.

But we've now officially gone into "Off-Topic" territory. Might have to move this thread.
                          I think this is a big part of the legalizing/decriminalizing argument. I don't think anyone would claim weed is harmless, but the level of harm it produces is largely dependent on the user, and the negative consequences are even more largely limited to the consumer, especially when compared to alcohol, which has insane collateral damage. For smoking, even cigarettes, at least you can minimize/restrict the impact it has on others. And sure, there are arguments of how your consumption and possibly increased anxiety affects others, but smoking cigarettes is hardly calming (it only is if you're addicted), and alcohol, again, usually ends up having worse collateral damage.

And in the end, the problem isn't that people should be allowed to smoke weed, it's that some dude growing a few plants (possibly just so he doesn't have to deal with the illegal market!) could then have to do time in seriously harsh prisons where he's lucky if he doesn't get raped on a regular basis. His life choice to smoke pot is not the social drain it's made out to be, and it does not have the widespread consequences of similar substances.

Comment

No, I'm not being a smart ass. I'm trying to prove the point and asking; where do you draw the line?
                            I've been thinking about this a lot ever since the Jays signed Melky. But I tend to take the slippery slope/where do you draw the line argument the other way.

The more I think about it, the less of a problem I have with PED's as a whole. It's not a very popular opinion to hold, but I just don't see how one can, with intellectual integrity intact, claim that taking testosterone is cheating (and hence morally abominable) but taking Protein and Creatine supplements is not.

They are fundamentally the same notion. The only principled distinction you can really make is that the latter is generally safer (and even then, the statistics about the 'inherent risks' associated with anabolics are very misleading -- most of the health problems come from abuse of the product, most of the abuse comes from ignorance about how to use them, and most of the ignorance comes from the dangerous stigma surrounding the drugs. What's the correct dosage of testosterone to take isn't exactly an easy question to ask your trainer.)

So where do we draw the line? As far as I'm concerned, everything should be fair game. After all, think how significant of a 'competitive advantage' Lebron was afforded by his genetics. Lebron hits the genetic jackpot and I'm a cheater because I want to supersede my own physical limitations? Doesn't seem fair to me.

So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                              So yeah: call anything that enhances anyone's performance a PED and let them all be legal.
                              Shit just hit the fan!

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                                I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X