Lowe: NBA Offseason Moves: Who Won?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    does troll mean enlighten or dominate in your world.

haha, sorry.

i would like to point out that when iggy came into the league he was a very gifted offensive player to the extent that the 6ers chose him over iverson. i would prefer iggy to gay 10 out of 10 times. i think gay has a larger offensive repertoire though.
    Exactly! Gay doesn't have that much better of an offensive game. Like you said, he has more ways to score. Gay is more of an isolation play while Iggy is more of a spot up shooter. Iggy has an overall better skill set because he can score and defend which makes him much more appealing as a player to most teams compared to Gay.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      does troll mean enlighten or dominate in your world.

haha, sorry.

i would like to point out that when iggy came into the league he was a very gifted offensive player to the extent that the 6ers chose him over iverson. i would prefer iggy to gay 10 out of 10 times. i think gay has a larger offensive repertoire though.
      As for troll, I do mean enlighten and dominate in your role! TFTW is the best and most informational poster ever

Comment

Are we really arguing Iggy's shooting over Gay? As someone pointed out Rudy's shooting % is not any lower over his entire career and he takes high volume shots. We all know what Iggy brings to the game and scoring is not one of them. Gay may be worth keeping if we re-sign him on a 48million/4 year deal. But I expect him to demand more (60m/4y) after a productive season and we are not exactly known for securing bargain deals. Rudy will sit out the 18million expiring contract if he does not like what is being offered and we may end up losing him for nothing after 2 years of mid-range draft picks. It may be a good idea to trade him and Lowry midway if we are nowhere close to securing a playoff spot. As Lowe says, if there was a season to blow it all up - this is it. Andrew Wiggins or die.

Edit : Iggy shot 60% from FT in the last 3 years.
        Last edited by draftedraptor; Thu Jul 25, 2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          Spot on here. What gets lost if you only look at stats is what kind of shots these guys are taking and making. Of the three you mentioned, only Gay is effective at creating his own shot, which people arguing against Gay always seem to forget. His ability to create his own shot is a rare skill in the NBA. Maybe if Smith was more committed to his post game he could be creating his own shots too, but he is way too fond of long jump shots and 3's, which he is atrocious at (he's been shooting them for years so it's not something likely to be fixed). Just look at their shot charts from last year. Gay is average to above average from basically everywhere on the floor. Smith is below average almost everywhere and only above average under the basket.

To those arguing Iggy is better on offense due to his TS% need to realize he only scored 13pts a game, and Rudy scored over 5 more points per game than him. They have basically the same 3pt numbers (attempts and makes) and get to the line the same amount of times, but Gay is an excellent FT shooter and Iggy is terrible (57.4%), so Iggy can't be counted on to hit FT's in late game situations. If Iggy was taking the same amount of FGA as Gay I'm sure his TS% would start to plummet as he is another player that is only above average under the basket and has trouble creating for himself.
          I'm not arguing Iggy is a better solo offensive player than Rudy is; Rudy can explode and is more of a danger at any time than Iggy is, and Rudy can create his own shot opportunities. But Iggy is a facilitator where Rudy simply is not; Iggy is better at creating opportunities and making shots for other people. Frankly, I think Iggy would be better on the Raptors right now than Rudy is; he would facilitate DeMar (who duplicates Rudy's game, albeit at a lower level) and synergize well with both Kyle's drive-and-kick game and Amir/Jonas working the paint. Given that there seems to be an increasing consensus that Jonas is going to emerge in the next year or two as this team's primary offensive weapon, that matters.

And, crucially, Iggy is better at defending than Rudy is. This is not to say that Rudy is a sieve; he's a decent enough defender. But Iggy is much, much better at it, and would likely fit in with Casey's game plan better.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            Preach brother!!! Also, the funny thing about stat-geeks is that often when confronted with naked stats (insert: or logic) that don't support their opinion, they then suddenly rise up with "context".
            ....... and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.................

Comment

Personally, I'd prefer Iggy over Gay. I acknowledge that Gay is certainly the better offensive weapon, and if we had Iggy in our lineup instead of Gay it would certainly hurt us late in the clock and in those situations that demands a clutch ISO shooter. Not that I think Gay is all that clutch, but certainly moreso than Iggy. What I like about Iggy is his all around game, and the fact that he can have an impact without filling up the stat sheet. He does possess the abiltity to score and rebound and all that, but he can also force opposing offences into bad shot situations, something there is no stat to quantify. He is an "intangible" guy that can also score, rebound, steal and block shots. Plus, I think he has a better approach to the game than Rudy, but I'm just guessing here. Rudy seems to lackadaisical for me, sometimes he just doesn't seem that into it, and that hurts because we are relying on him to take the team on his shoulders when we are struggling. We are down by 8 late the game, need a big shot, give it to Rudy, who misses, and then takes a brisk walk back on defense while chirping to the refs and his defensive assignment scores on the other end. That shit don't jive with me, and you're not likely to get that from Iggy. Iggy seems to give 110% every time, although that's hard for me to say because i certainly haven't seen Iggy play every game. But if Iggy has ever appeared lazy or nonchalant on the court, I have yet to witness it or hear anyone mention it.

I'll also acknowledge that I think Gay has the potential to have that really impactful all around game, while still being a 20-25 ppg type player. I wanna see the effort consistently on both ends of the floor.

Comment

The thing about Iggy, is that at this point in his career he is no longer a "go to" guy. His last couple of years in Philly was an example of how much he blends into the crowd. He fits well in Denver and now presumambly in Golden State where he doesn't need to be the man. On a team like the Raptors where there isn't any star talent I think maybe Gay is the better fit between the two.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                  This whole post is bang on.

I'm so sick of people going on and on about efficiency without looking at context. Shot-creators are going to be less efficient than spot up shooters/guys who take only high % shots and finish plays. This is why I lol hard when people suggest trading DeRozan or Gay for guys like Redick or Jared Dudley. They're efficient cause all they do is take uncontested, high percentage shots. You ask one of those guys or Iguodala to take the ball and go create points in isolations and you'd see their TS%s plummet to the low 40s.

Basketball isn't baseball. Some of these stat-geeks need to get that through their skulls.
                  What about the "stat-geeks" who point out DeRozan's inefficiency, AND his inability to create shots?

Comment

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC?

This isn't a debate about whether we'd rather have Iggy or Gay, it's a debate about whether Gay's market value is 14M per year.

And it's VERY CLEAR that it is.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      What about the "stat-geeks" who point out DeRozan's inefficiency, AND his inability to create shots?
                      Yup I guess Paul George is inefficient too considering he scores less than DeMar on the same number of field goal attempts?

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                        A bit of an aside: ESPN Insider has their current projections of the Eastern Conference placing Toronto at 11th:

1. Miami
                        2. Brooklyn
                        3. Chicago
                        4. Indiana
                        5. New York
                        6. Atlanta
                        7. Washington
                        8. Cleveland
                        9. Milwaukee
                        10. Detroit
                        11. Toronto
                        12. Orlando
                        13. Boston
                        14. Charlotte
                        15. Philly

Their writeup basically sums up as: "If Jonas turns into a monster, the Raptors can make a playoff push. If he doesn't, a tank is in order."
                        Can we all agree that the season would be a disaster if these predictions are accurate?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                          Can we all agree that the season would be a disaster if these predictions are accurate?
                          Yes....But it might not be the Raps fault, even if Ujiri goes tank mode. It would be hard to be as bad as Philly, Charlotte and Orlando, and it definitely seems likely that Boston will buy into a full on tank job.

*This is why I'm ok with just trying to make a go of it with this roster for this season, and hope it works out. I don't like the Raptors tanking window this year. Frankly, they had an excellent window last year after the shit start, but instead kept trying to compete.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 26, 2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Yup I guess Paul George is inefficient too considering he scores less than DeMar on the same number of field goal attempts?
                            George plays defense and rebounds....and can create his own shot. That is, George's inefficient scoring is made up for in other areas.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              George plays defense and rebounds....and can create his own shot. That is, George's inefficient scoring is made up for in other areas.
                              Yes that is why George is getting a max and DeRozan makes a little over half of that.

So how is he overpaid again?

Comment

Yes that is why George is getting a max and DeRozan makes a little over half of that.

So how is he overpaid again?
                                They're both overpaid. What's your point?

Comment

Working...
                                X