Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ujiri looking for big man coach.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ujiri looking for big man coach.

Reportedly Ujiri is looking for a big man coach!

'Leiweke: Ujiri looking for a big man coach right now. Think one of the all-time great big men.'

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Hakeem.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say more likely Kareem. The LA ties
    Ball Don't Lie

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking Ewing or Sabonis. Is Ewing on a staff right now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Yeah, MJ gave him a job in Charlotte

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I think Sabonis is president of Lithuanian basketball federation and Ewing is with Hornets(charlotte); who's available?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. My money's on Sabonis, both because of the Lithuanian connection and because there just aren't that many other plausible candidates that aren't already working for another team.

Ewing - Bobcats
    Hakeem - Rockets
    Shaq - Don't really see him being a good influence
    McHale - Rockets
    Yao - Rockets
    Robinson - Not officially employed, but can't see him with anyone but the Spurs
    Malone - Jazz
    Russell - Maybe a possibility, but he hasn't shown any interest in this kind of job in the past
    Kareem - Again, maybe a possibility, but reports are that he wants a head coaching job. Don't see him working for the Raps as a player development coach.

Anyone I'm missing?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, first of all the guy has to want to come to Toronto. And I don't think a guy will be like "ewww! Toronto", but if Kareem has lived the past 20 years in LA, maybe he doesn't want to move anywhere.

And for Sabonis, it's a nice thought, but for a guy who hasn't really spent much time around the NBA since retiring, gotta wonder if it's a job he would even want.

Trying to think of other guys, just in general. I'm sure some of them wouldn't coach, or maybe would suck at it anyway....

Bob McAdoo...More of a PF, but he was a solid player. Currently on Miami's bench.

Moses Malone....Retired. Don't know if he'd want to, or can coach in any way. Rebounding machine.

Robert Parish....The forgotten C in Boston. Don't know if he would coach as well.

Elgin Baylor....If he wasn't so old....Can't see him wanting to do anything in the NBA again since he's almost 80. But he is one of the most underrated bigs ever.

Random and likely unpopular thought: Alonzo Mourning.

Another guy who I'm not at all sure would have interest in coaching: Vlade Divac

Casey's already compared JV to Jack Sikma this summer...maybe they pluck him from Adelman's staff (just like Bayno).

Probably a bunch more who'd fit the bill in some way.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ralph Sampson is apparently available since leaving the Suns as an assistant coach last month. He helped do player development as well. I'd consider him.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Ralph Sampson is apparently available since leaving the Suns as an assistant coach last month. He helped do player development as well. I'd consider him.
    There's another good name. I would be down with Sampson. I also think it's a plus to have a guy with coaching experience. Not critical, but definitely a bonus.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Reportedly Ujiri is looking for a big man coach!

'Leiweke: Ujiri looking for a big man coach right now. Think one of the all-time great big men.'
    Do you have a link for this quote? I'm just trying to figure out the context of this quote.

As for other possible names...don't think Big "Z" is considered one of the all-time great big men, but the Lithuanian connection is there.

Post Thanks / Like

How about rik smits. Would love to hear how the dunkin Dutchman is doing.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Sabonis came to coach JV he would also be coaching the guy who would be one of the mainstays of the Lithuanian BB team for the next decade...killing two birds with one stone.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Do you have a link for this quote? I'm just trying to figure out the context of this quote.

As for other possible names...don't think Big "Z" is considered one of the all-time great big men, but the Lithuanian connection is there.
    Big Z is special assistant to Chris Grant. so he's out.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Arsenalist and PhdSteve had dinner with Leiweke last night and he told them. I know you likely think I'm joking, but I kid you not.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This. I think we are speculating on the context of "one of the all-time great big men" means but I take it more in the quality of a Kareem then a Zabonis (who not doubt was a great player). When ever they make the announcement we at least can spend some time talking about the pros and cons of that big coach.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rap wrote: View Post
    This. I think we are speculating on the context of "one of the all-time great big men" means but I take it more in the quality of a Kareem then a Zabonis (who not doubt was a great player). When ever they make the announcement we at least can spend some time talking about the pros and cons of that big coach.
    Big "Z" was Zydrunas Ilgauskas who played for the Cavs for a majority of his career.

Sabonis who is also Lithuanian was considered the best European player to ever play international ball. When he was in the NBA he played for the Trailblazers for a majority of his career.

I wouldn't mind either of them as a big man coach for Jonas. But Big Z is coaching in Cleveland, and I'd be surprised if they can get Sabonis back in the NBA.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see "The Admiral" coach JV. I think you need a C or PF that had a great offensive post game. There's not much better than the top 3 of the 80's-90's. Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson. All three could consistently hit that 16 footer, and had great post moves. JV is missing the the turnaround fadeaway jumper. All three were amazing at it. Ewing is unavailable and he wants to be more than a big man coach. That leaves Hakeem and the Admiral.

I also agree with the posters Sabonis would be awesome. How about Vlade? He had a soft touch around the basket. Sir Charles? He had an amazing back to the basket game. Lol

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gut feeling tells me it's either Sabonis or Kareem.

Some names mentioned above probably wouldn't be referred to as "all-time greats".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Thread Information