Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Tim Leiweke Apologizes to Colangelo

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Tim Leiweke Apologizes to Colangelo

    .

    Tim Leiweke Apologizes to Former Raptor GM

    When MLSE hired Tim Leiweke, I was pretty much indifferent about the hiring. Sort of .... meh .... Nothing to see here".



    Then when he tossed BC around at one of his first press conferences, I began to worry if we now had BC - Part deux. Did the Raptors simply exchange one Salesman for another.

    Tim Luigi left me with the impression that his goal was to bring Raptors into the play-offs (and pretty much nothing else). While that goal is a preference I have for this current addition, I started to worry that TL's fingerprints would be all over this Road map, even though Masai is supposed to be in charge.

    But ... with this recent statement, I find those fears a little less worrisome. Hopefully Timmy will keep to these statements and let MU chart our course, whether that be play-offs, or something else that morphs into play.

    .

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont know why Doug Smith thinks so highly of himself and that what he says "means" something within the Raptors Realm.

    "I’m more than willing to accept that as an explanation and a bit of an apology too; ". So he thinks TL needs to apologize to BC because he feels what TL did to BC was "disrespectful" and a "mistake"??

    It's funny how he talks like this in his columns but in a sea of reporters when covering the Raps he does nothing to stand out and get his opinion noticed by the management and players.

  3. Like Nilanka liked this post
  4. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have no opinion on this..like at all
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The best part of that article is the comment section... and here I thought RR posters were sometimes harsh in their assessment of Doug Smith! lol

    The only mistake TL made is not just firing BC immediately. Instead, he kept him around in a different capacity, to take advantage of the positives that BC had been doing (ie: building basketball in Canada, leading charge for all-star game in Toronto, etc...), while saving face for BC. Ironically, I think keeping BC on instead of just firing him spoke more to the "Canadian Sensibility" that DS alluded to, but obviously that irony is lost on him (or simply ignored).

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The best part of that article is the comment section... and here I thought RR posters were sometimes harsh in their assessment of Doug Smith! lol

    The only mistake TL made is not just firing BC immediately. Instead, he kept him around in a different capacity, to take advantage of the positives that BC had been doing (ie: building basketball in Canada, leading charge for all-star game in Toronto, etc...), while saving face for BC. Ironically, I think keeping BC on instead of just firing him spoke more to the "Canadian Sensibility" that DS alluded to, but obviously that irony is lost on him (or simply ignored).
    ouch. i actually did not notice the comments section, coz it might seem im just echoing what theyve already said.

    funny thing tho is dont they approve the comment first before they get posted??

  7. #6
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've never been a supporter or detracter or Doug Smith... I just never really cared what he had to say ... but this has sort of 'done it' for me.

    He just likes to hear his voice ... (or read his voice..)


    And Doug: Its the LEAFS not the LEAVES.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully, Doug will be rewarded for his loyalty to BC by getting a job in the PR department of whatever team hires BC next.

    Yet another example of why the dinosaur media is fading from existence and why people now realize the sports "media" is a joke.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I've never been a supporter or detracter or Doug Smith... I just never really cared what he had to say ... but this has sort of 'done it' for me.

    He just likes to hear his voice ... (or read his voice..)


    And Doug: Its the LEAFS not the LEAVES.
    Lol, Smitty intentionally spells the team name wrong, because the team intentionally spells the real word wrong.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #9
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default *SOB* Life isn't fair *SOB*

    For the love of God, would they trade Doug Smith to the Kleenex Company for a couple truck loads of tissues to wipe up all the tears and lets be done with it?

    Doug Smith has become one of those stereotypical teen angst male characters from so many of those PG13 family movies we all watched as kids.

    I expect him to say "You'll never be my father" and storm out the room any day now.

  11. Like lilmamba_, Joey liked this post
  12. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    lol, if you don't like him, and are going to get bent out of shape reading his perspective on the team, don't read him.

  13. #11
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    lol, if you don't like him, and are going to get bent out of shape reading his perspective on the team, don't read him.
    I don't.
    Until, of course, I've been prodded to by perturbed posters on the Forum! Haha
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  14. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    holy shit i cant believe he actually put LEAVES

  15. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phez wrote: View Post
    holy shit i cant believe he actually put LEAVES
    lol, he does it on purpose. It's not a type-o
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I kind of rolled my eyes through the article until i read this gem:

    It was good to hear him admit that he came on too strongly, it was hugely important to me to hear him be conciliatory toward Bryan, who did the very best he could in seven years and deserved better on the way out.
    Nothing screams delusion than that sentence right there. What an absolute tool. Did BC buy him a cottage or something?
    @jerboat

  17. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry Bud, but the irony involved with you, calling Doug Smith delusional is hilarious to me. He did deserve better, if only in the professional manner he should be treated.

    Too many people know too little about the business of sport, then they crab and cry, toss insults and play the armchair game. Its not cool. Colangelo, like him or hate him, worked hard, did it his way, and left gracefully. The Franchise, true to form, cocked that exit up worse than one could imagine, and Toronto looked brutal, as per usual.

  18. Like p00ka liked this post
  19. #16
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Golden Poop

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I don't.
    Until, of course, I've been prodded to by perturbed posters on the Forum! Haha
    Exactly. I don't seek him out but he finds his way here, delivered by eager posters longing for entertaining conversations during a dry spell. Come October or November these Doug Smith threads won't get my burn because there will be far better things to talk about...

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I kind of rolled my eyes through the article until i read this gem:



    Nothing screams delusion than that sentence right there. What an absolute tool. Did BC buy him a cottage or something?

    Oh, I actually agree with Doug on one count. Colangelo did do the best he could and it resulted in vaults full of gold painted cow turds. Now he doesn't work here anymore because that was his very best.

  20. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its about style really. Some peeps like his style and get it, some don't like it, and don't care to get it. Its ll good, but Smith isn't a dumb guy, he knows his shit.

    And, they have editors...you guy know that right?

  21. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter Pele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mud
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Its about style really. Some peeps like his style and get it, some don't like it, and don't care to get it. Its ll good, but Smith isn't a dumb guy, he knows his shit.

    And, they have editors...you guy know that right?
    You're missing the whole point. Tim's Lieweke's straight-speaking "rudeness" has been a breath of fresh air in an environment of depressing stagnation.

    All this Doug Smith talk of "Canadian nuance" is bullshit. Brian deserved to be booted and pissed on because his record was less than mediocre, and Tim isn't having any of it. BC did some good things...yes. But they were heavily outweighed by his inability to spot talent or build a competitive team. (build around Bosh...really? who thought that would work? Then let Bosh go for nothing....really? Wait Andrea to blossom....really?)

    The whole point is this...Doug Smith's attitude as portrayed in his tepid articles is the cancer that perpetuates a losing environment. It's this very attitude, inherent in the MLSE culture, that Tim is attempting to change.

    I'm disappointed that Tim apologized, but maybe it was for internal political reasons.

  22. Like Joey, mcHAPPY liked this post
  23. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    You're missing the whole point. Tim's Lieweke's straight-speaking "rudeness" has been a breath of fresh air in an environment of depressing stagnation.

    All this Doug Smith talk of "Canadian nuance" is bullshit. Brian deserved to be booted and pissed on because his record was less than mediocre, and Tim isn't having any of it. BC did some good things...yes. But they were heavily outweighed by his inability to spot talent or build a competitive team. (build around Bosh...really? who thought that would work? Then let Bosh go for nothing....really? Wait Andrea to blossom....really?)

    The whole point is this...Doug Smith's attitude as portrayed in his tepid articles is the cancer that perpetuates a losing environment. It's this very attitude, inherent in the MLSE culture, that Tim is attempting to change.

    I'm disappointed that Tim apologized, but maybe it was for internal political reasons.
    I've been a member here for a few years and before that was on RF. I don't remember anyone when Bosh was still here criticizing BC for trying to build around him.

    He only started getting criticized after Bosh left. Maybe a few when Bosh wasn't traded by the deadline. But thing is BC was trying to convince Bosh to stick around, he was trying to make the playoffs, trying to win now. It back fired and than (rightfully so) everyone turned on him.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  24. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I actually respect Lieweke for apologizing. There were times in the last month when he went to far. It came off as classless, and I'm glad he cleared the air. BC didn't deliver on the court, but he did a lot for the marketing and branding of this franchise. He handled his position with class and respect, and represented the organization well. The firing was handled poorly, and things probably got nasty behind the scenes. I'm just glad the new regime can let go of the past and move on.
    Last edited by saints91; Mon Jul 29th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

  25. Like p00ka liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •