Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Captain of the RAPS?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is the Captain of the RAPS?

So I know Paul Pierce was the captain of the Celtics and now Rondo was named the captain. Bryant is for the Lakers. I am having trouble remember the names of past Raps. captains and especially last year. Who was the captain last year and who will and should be it for this year?

Just that I cannot recalling anyone on here actually talking about the Raps captain. Maybe it's just me and if so, I am sorry for missing those.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wikipedia has DeRozan & Gay listed as captains. Not sure if that's entirely accurate but I vaguely remember hearing something similar in a late season broadcast as well.

Post Thanks / Like

lol ya I don't even know either. This "captain" stuff is taken way more seriously in hockey and soccer

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sam17 wrote: View Post
    lol ya I don't even know either. This "captain" stuff is taken way more seriously in hockey and soccer
    I know but it is also used here too. K believe that in Miami it's was Wade now it's both! So it's not just me then.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO the captain of the team should preferably be 1) a senior member of the team and MOST IMPORTANTLY 2) must possess leadership qualities. While the former(seniority) need not be strictly imposed, the later should be a MUST.

He does not have seniority as a Raptor but when it comes to leadership qualities, I think Rudy Gay is the right man for the job.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Captain and leader should go hand-in-hand. So I would have thought that Jose was the captain the last few years post-Bosh. But there doesn't seem to be a clear leader with this team right now. I suppose the closest thing I can see is Lowry. I haven't seen any leadership coming from DD at all. So I don't know where he is getting his Captain designation from. Gay....maybe. But I would like to see some more commitment to the organization from a player before they are given Captain status. He just hasn't been here long enough to earn that IMO.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    IMO the captain of the team should preferably be 1) a senior member of the team and MOST IMPORTANTLY 2) must possess leadership qualities. While the former(seniority) need not be strictly imposed, the later should be a MUST.

He does not have seniority as a Raptor but when it comes to leadership qualities, I think Rudy Gay is the right man for the job.
    That's what I thought also. However, what about the past? Did we ever have a Captain?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it was John Lucas the 3rd last season no idea who it will be this season..... maybe Gray... wtf people its obviously Rudy Gay.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have no problem appointing Amir as captain. He's not the most skilled player on the team, but I think his "work-horse" mentality is what all members of the team should be striving for.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

10. Like Mack North, JawsGT liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    That's what I thought also. However, what about the past? Did we ever have a Captain?
    Yes we have. I have not checked recently, but C Oakely and V Carter were captains.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Yes we have. I have not checked recently, but C Oakely and V Carter were captains.
    Thank you very much. That helps a lot.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Well it was John Lucas the 3rd last season no idea who it will be this season..... maybe Gray... wtf people its obviously Rudy Gay.
    John Lucas? How did Lucas become Captain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    John Lucas? How did Lucas become Captain?
    Dude... he was joking lol

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd appoint Lowry the captain. It's important the Captain be a vocal leader which crosses off DD and Amir and JV is still too young. That leaves Lowry and Gay. Gay would be a good choice as well, but he wasn't the most vocal guy last year, but that could be as a respect to DD and others since he just joined the squad.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo Nilanka, and nominate Amir for captain.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 questions - pardon my ignorance.

#1) Do all teams have official captains?

How many teams had them last season, for example. I seem to recall seeing very few players wearing a "C" on their jersey.

#2) What exactly is the expected role of an official captain in the NBA?

In the NHL, for example, a captain has traditionally been a veteran player with solid knowledge of the rules, who is respected by the officials. This combination makes him the perfect player to speak to referees about certain calls, question where faceoffs should be, etc... Of course, this player should also be well liked and respected by his teammates, but that's all secondary, since only team captains (and assistant captains, when the captain isn't on the ice) are allowed to approach the referees in their restricted area near centre ice. The captain may or may not be the team leader in the dressing room and/or off the ice and away from the rink.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 30th, 2013 at 01:24 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar and Amir SHOULD be the captains of this team. Amir needs no explanation.....Demar will be captain because he's been here for 4 years and he's signed for 4 more years. Both Demar and Amir are iron men that rarely missed games for any reason. Demar basically led the team in scoring (vitually tied with Rudy). In my opinion these two should lead this team this coming season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I have 2 questions - pardon my ignorance.

#1) Do all teams have official captains?

How many teams had them last season, for example. I seem to recall seeing very few players wearing a "C" on their jersey.

#2) What exactly is the expected role of an official captain in the NBA?

In the NHL, for example, a captain has traditionally been a veteran player with solid knowledge of the rules, who is respected by the officials. This combination makes him the perfect player to speak to referees about certain calls, question where faceoffs should be, etc... Of course, this player should also be well liked and respected by his teammates, but that's all secondary, since only team captains (and assistant captains, when the captain isn't on the ice) are allowed to approach the referees in their restricted area near centre ice. The captain may or may not be the team leader in the dressing room and/or off the ice and away from the rink.
    I think this is something the NBA should look in to. The league might be able to clean up the whiny image of its players if only 2 or 3 players on the team were allowed to speak with the ref on behalf of the other players on the floor. Or better yet, only coaching staff can speak to the refs about the calls made on the floor.

20. Like Nilanka, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Dude... he was joking lol
    lol got me. seen stranger things

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani was once the Captain... no joke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information