No announcement yet.

Who is the Captain of the RAPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 questions - pardon my ignorance.

#1) Do all teams have official captains?

How many teams had them last season, for example. I seem to recall seeing very few players wearing a "C" on their jersey.

#2) What exactly is the expected role of an official captain in the NBA?

In the NHL, for example, a captain has traditionally been a veteran player with solid knowledge of the rules, who is respected by the officials. This combination makes him the perfect player to speak to referees about certain calls, question where faceoffs should be, etc... Of course, this player should also be well liked and respected by his teammates, but that's all secondary, since only team captains (and assistant captains, when the captain isn't on the ice) are allowed to approach the referees in their restricted area near centre ice. The captain may or may not be the team leader in the dressing room and/or off the ice and away from the rink.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 30, 2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Demar and Amir SHOULD be the captains of this team. Amir needs no explanation.....Demar will be captain because he's been here for 4 years and he's signed for 4 more years. Both Demar and Amir are iron men that rarely missed games for any reason. Demar basically led the team in scoring (vitually tied with Rudy). In my opinion these two should lead this team this coming season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

How many teams had them last season, for example. I seem to recall seeing very few players wearing a "C" on their jersey.

In the NHL, for example, a captain has traditionally been a veteran player with solid knowledge of the rules, who is respected by the officials. This combination makes him the perfect player to speak to referees about certain calls, question where faceoffs should be, etc... Of course, this player should also be well liked and respected by his teammates, but that's all secondary, since only team captains (and assistant captains, when the captain isn't on the ice) are allowed to approach the referees in their restricted area near centre ice. The captain may or may not be the team leader in the dressing room and/or off the ice and away from the rink.
        I think this is something the NBA should look in to. The league might be able to clean up the whiny image of its players if only 2 or 3 players on the team were allowed to speak with the ref on behalf of the other players on the floor. Or better yet, only coaching staff can speak to the refs about the calls made on the floor.
        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
          Dude... he was joking lol
          lol got me. seen stranger things

Comment

Bargnani was once the Captain... no joke

Comment

This Wikipedia page includes last year's captains for most teams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A_team_rosters

No real surprises; however, Damian Lillard was a co-captain in his rookie year. Pretty interesting given the other vets on that team (Batum, Matthews), but he definitely appears to have some good leadership qualities.

Also, at first, I was like "What?! Goran Dragic, captain?!", but then I looked at the rest of Phoenix's roster... #poorsuns

edit: For a good laugh, check out Sacramento's supposed captain.

Comment

It used to be that teams can have a maximum of 2 captains. What do they do? I don't think they have any extra privileges. I think it goes on team by team basis. Some teams have rules about who can speak to the refs, coaches, or if they're having a problem figuring out the system.

Also calls the coin toss at the beginning of the game to see which team the refs will favor.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

It may be slightly better in the NHL but Captains in the 4 major leagues are Captains for the sake of being Captains. For REAL reasons, Coach's and Managers are the actual Captains.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

#1. For the most part, Yes. Except the teams who Captains relocated over the offseason.
                    Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A_team_rosters to see them listed.
                    Boston - Rajon
                    Brooklyn - Deron
                    Knicks - Amare and Melo
                    Phili - Was Jrue.
                    Raptors - Demar and Rudy
                    Bulls - DRose
                    Cleveland - Kyrie
                    Detroit - Greg Monroe
                    Pacers - Danny Granger
                    Bucks - Was Ellis and Jennings
                    Hawks - Was JSmoove
                    Bobcats - Kemba Walker
                    Heat - Udonis Haslem (Interesting..)
                    Magic - Jameer Nelson
                    Wizards - John Wall
                    Mavericks - Dirk
                    Rockets - None listed.. (Insteresting)
                    Grizzlies - ZBo
                    Pelicans - Anthony Davis and Eric Gordon
                    Spurs - Duncan and Parker
                    Nuggets - Was Iguodala
                    TWolves - KLove
                    Portland - Lillard and Aldridge
                    Thunder - Kevin Durant (Not shared with Westbrook)
                    Jazz - Was Al Jefferson I believe.
                    Warriors - Steph Curry and David Lee
                    Clippers - Griffin and Paul
                    Lakers - Kobe and Pau Gasol
                    Suns - Goran Dragic
                    Kings - Cousins

#2 - Officially, I believe their only task is to go to Center Court before the game to meet the referee and test the game ball etc.
                    Unofficially, Team Morale. General Locker Room presence I'd imagine. Stuff like that.
                    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=joey_hesketh;225789]#1. For the most part, Yes. Except the teams who Captains relocated over the offseason.
                      Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...A_team_rosters to see them listed.

Raptors - Demar and Rudy
                      Cleveland - Kyrie
                      Bobcats - Kemba Walker
                      Wizards - John Wall
                      very strange how many first or even second and third year rooks was named captain. What does that really say about the captaincy in the NBA? is it a joke?

Comment

i thought the captain of the raps was OH MY GOD WHO GIVES A GOOD GODDAMN SHIT!
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          #1. For the most part, Yes. Except the teams who Captains relocated over the offseason.
                          Boston - Rajon
                          Brooklyn - Deron
                          Knicks - Amare and Melo
                          Phili - Was Jrue.
                          Raptors - Demar and Rudy
                          Bulls - DRose
                          Cleveland - Kyrie
                          Detroit - Greg Monroe
                          Pacers - Danny Granger
                          Bucks - Was Ellis and Jennings
                          Hawks - Was JSmoove
                          Bobcats - Kemba Walker
                          Magic - Jameer Nelson
                          Wizards - John Wall
                          Mavericks - Dirk
                          Rockets - None listed.. (Insteresting)
                          Grizzlies - ZBo
                          Spurs - Duncan and Parker
                          Nuggets - None listed..
                          TWolves - KLove
                          Thunder - Kevin Durant (Not shared with Westbrook)
                          Jazz - Was Al Jefferson I believe.
                          Warriors - Steph Curry and David Lee
                          Clippers - Griffin and Paul
                          Lakers - Kobe and Pau Gasol
                          Suns - Goran Dragic
                          Kings - Cousins

#2 - Officially, I believe their only task is to go to Center Court before the game to meet the referee and test the game ball etc.
                          Unofficially, Team Morale. General Locker Room presence I'd imagine. Stuff like that.
                          the last one in the list is fucking priceless...
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Kemba Walker by default hes on suicide watch.

Comment

Cousins is the captain of the Kings?? Geez. No wonder they aren't going anywhere.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                Cousins is the captain of the Kings?? Geez. No wonder they aren't going anywhere.
                                Ya I remember when they did that. I
                                It was the old coaches idea to try and get Cousins to buy into the Team concept.
                                Didn't work. Just made him feel more entitled.

Comment

Working...
                                X