Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Sign Austin Daye

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    How is Gay guaranteed? If he has a good season he is virtually GUARANTEED to opt out in order to secure a long-term deal. Making 3M less in 2014-15 is worth securing an extra 50M in the following 3 years. If you disagree with this you haven't even been paying attention to free agency at all... ever.

Especially with lots of teams clearing cap space for 2014 free agency. Once LBJ and Melo sign, Gay becomes one of if not the most sought after UFAs on the market.
    its not a secret his contract is way overvalued and im sure he/his agent knows that as well. the only question is if he is one of those players willing to take less to join a contender. i would tend to believe hed rather take the cash.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    its not a secret his contract is way overvalued and im sure he/his agent knows that as well. the only question is if he is one of those players willing to take less to join a contender. i would tend to believe hed rather take the cash.
    but he wouldn't technically be taking less if opted out and signed a new contract. Well only for a single season.

It can be looked at as X + 1 years guaranteed vs 1 year guaranteed.

Its not impossible he opts in to his final year and then looks to get another contract. His final year is quite a bit of money after all. But a season can mean a career in the NBA - an injury or having an off year could drastically effect his next contract.

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with this signing... We're talking about the end of a bench. Just glad to see that we aren't paying a premium for "veteran leadership" and all that BS. Give me youth and financial flexibility, we're in no position to need more veterans.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Did our bench get stronger, weaker or remain the same this summer? Also, does anyone think all these short contracts coming off the books at the same time mean that Masai might be targeting someone specific in free agency?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Lol.

Yes he's 25 but he's regressed almost every season
    Yes he's 6'11 but he's also 200 lbs. this makes him the lightest "big man" in the NBA.
    Yes he can play multiple positions, but tweeners are known for not having very much success at the nba level. He can't defend PF's and can't keep up with SF's.

And no he never shot more than 50% from 3 in a season, and it was not his 3rd time shooting over 40% it was his 2nd with the one other time being .401.
    He's only made 150 3's in his 4 year career. Not much to go off of.
    But here's the most important thing

His FG% was best in his rookie season, and has not been higher since, including a 32% season.
    Nincompoop. Atleast post meaningful(and correct) facts before educating others on why this is a good signing.
    You're evaluating him like we just gave him a 3yr/25M deal. This isn't the Fields signing. It's a ZERO risk potentially moderate reward move.

Stop complaining about nothing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    HES NOT TAKING LESS

Do you not pay attention to free agency? Players ALWAYS opt out of player options unless they had a terrible season or injury the year before, or they're quite old. Even if they KNOW they're not going to make as much money the next year, it's better to lock in 4 years of guaranteed $$$ than risk injury just to make 3M extra one season.

Andre Iguodala was set to make 16M next year if he didn't opt out. He did so that he could get a guaranteed 48M locked up for the next 4 years. Why? What happens if he goes into 2013-14 and tears his ACL? Or regresses immensely? He'd have a hard time getting long-term money.

That is why LBJ, Melo, Wade and Bosh will ALL opt out next year despite being set to make 19-20M+ in salary. Please pay attention to FA before commenting on it.
    Last edited by Xixak; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Did our bench get stronger, weaker or remain the same this summer? Also, does anyone think all these short contracts coming off the books at the same time mean that Masai might be targeting someone specific in free agency?
    No it doesn't. Masai is a very shrewd GM. He doesn't get locked in on one guy and mortgage the team's future for his sake (see BC with Nash or Cuban with Dwight). He just wants to keep his options open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they come by. That is how you build a successful team.

You don't just throw away players because you want to tank and then get burned when you get a mid-level talent and half your roster is gone.

You don't get rid of guys to clear cap so you can grab one player, only to watch him sign elsewhere.

You don't sign average players to big deals in order to make a playoff push, only to watch that team miss the playoffs with your flexibility gone.

You take a cerebral, calculated approach and leave all avenues open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they arise.

9. Like blackjitsu, Bendit, lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Masai Ujiri's giving Coach Casey all the possible options, no excuses coach.
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    dat Atlantic division dominance

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of analysis here about our new 15th man
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way MU approaches the end of his bench, especially compared to BC's approach. MU has already stacked every position with young players, like he did in Denver, as opposed to filling the bench with washed-up scrubs in the name of 'veteran presence'. I wouldn't be suprised to see Q-Rich eventually traded/waived, with the 15th roster spot used to sign a young 3rd string C.

2013-2014 Bench
    C: Gray, TBD
    PF: Hansborough, Acy (22)
    SF: Novak, Daye (25)
    SG: Ross (22), Fields (25)
    PG: Augustin (25), Buycks (24)

2012-2013 Bench
    C: Gray
    PF: Bargnani, Acy
    SF: Anderson (30), Kleiza (28), Pietrus (31)
    SG: Ross, Fields
    PG: Lucas (30), Telfair (28)
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

13. Like Blacklash2k4, Vimsanity, Xixak liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I like the way MU approaches the end of his bench, especially compared to BC's approach. MU has already stacked every position with young players, like he did in Denver, as opposed to filling the bench with washed-up scrubs in the name of 'veteran presence'. I wouldn't be suprised to see Q-Rich eventually traded/waived, with the 15th roster spot used to sign a young 3rd string C.

2013-2014 Bench

2012-2013 Bench
    SF: Kleiza (28), Pietrus (31)

With Amir capable of playing C and JV and Gray both being C's, I don't see a third string C being signed unless there is an injury.

Personally, I think Richardson is told to stay home and he is kept on the roster as a piece to help facilitate a possible trade under CBA rules or he might be waived to allow the Raptors to trade for 2for1 or 3for2 type deals.

When he is waived is unknown but I think we can all be certain he is not going to be on the team come January 1st.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

15. Like ceez, CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

2013-2014 Bench

2012-2013 Bench
    SF: Anderson (30), Kleiza (28), Pietrus (31)
    Yeah I'd like us to pick up Cole Aldrich as that guy. Pretty effective in limited playing time last year with 3 points, 4 rebounds and a block in 11 minutes per game.

Leaves us with a very young and nicely balanced lineup of:

PG: Lowry (27), Augustin (25), Buycks (24)
    SG: DeRozan (23), Ross (22), Fields (25)
    SF: Gay (26), Novak (30), Daye (25)
    PF: Amir (26), Hansbrough (27), Acy (22)
    C: Valanciunas (21), Gray (28), Aldrich (24)

Average Age: 25

Which would make us one of the youngest teams in the league (youngest last year was Houston at 23.7

Raptors Republic Rookie Hennessy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    If Daye finds some more shooting form - and you have to assume that this is part of Nick Nurse's job - then he becomes a movable asset, the sort of player who gets you a second-rounder. That's really the entire reason for the contract. Most of Masai's signings are low-risk lottery tickets and this is basically the same thing. If Daye produces, either he becomes a cheap roleplayer or he'll be gone in a trade to get us better assets (most likely a second-rounder or draft rights to someone Masai likes). If he doesn't, welp, no second year guarantee means that lottery ticket didn't produce a scratch-and-win, shucks, we didn't get value from the ass end of our bench just like ninety percent of teams don't.

All of Masai's signings have been like this. Augustin: if he returns to form he's a bargain, if not, whatever. Buycks: a rookie find with real upside and if he doesn't pan out, not a big deal. Psycho T was clearly underpriced so he'll get some minutes and then, most likely, some team thinking he's worth double his current salary and needing a solid backup big will call, and if we don't need him we'll get some quality trade value from him.
    Couldn't agree more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    A lot of analysis here about our new 15th man
    Fans of real teams talk about big FA signings and trades for superstars. In Raptorland, we talk about Austin Daye and Alexis Ajinca. That's how we roll cause we don't got much else....

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

20. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    No it doesn't. Masai is a very shrewd GM. He doesn't get locked in on one guy and mortgage the team's future for his sake (see BC with Nash or Cuban with Dwight). He just wants to keep his options open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they come by. That is how you build a successful team.

You don't just throw away players because you want to tank and then get burned when you get a mid-level talent and half your roster is gone.

You don't get rid of guys to clear cap so you can grab one player, only to watch him sign elsewhere.

You don't sign average players to big deals in order to make a playoff push, only to watch that team miss the playoffs with your flexibility gone.

You take a cerebral, calculated approach and leave all avenues open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they arise.
    I agree that he probably isn't targeting a single player or not even a single free agency crop because that is the model Ujiri used in Denver, but does that model win in the playoffs? Should he be clearing cap space with the idea of acquiring elite level talent?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Whatever else may happen, this is charming as all get out:

somebody gotta tell the dude that French is not so much a Toronto thing
    yeah i laughed pretty hard at that yesterday
    @jerboat

23. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I agree that he probably isn't targeting a single player or not even a single free agency crop because that is the model Ujiri used in Denver, but does that model win in the playoffs? Should he be clearing cap space with the idea of acquiring elite level talent?
    Ujiri had not completed the building process in Denver when he left...imo. He had built what I would consider a sustainable base with much depth (bench strength) resulting in a 57 win season. I believe his next step would have been to acquire in f/a or trade (less likely) a franchise type player to take that team really deep.

This is a more sustainable model...build the base/core and then acquire the finisher/s. F/a s are more amenable to sign on under these conditions.

25. Like Xixak liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All 3pointer lineup:

Lowry - 36%
    Ross - 33%
    Gay - 34%
    Novak - 43%
    Daye - 42%
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

27. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    only thing i don't understand is why not zubcic? the exact same skillset, younger and most likely cheaper.
    Zubcic is not even a rotation player in Europe, let alone a starter. The odds of him ever being a viable NBA player is slim at best.

Thread Information