This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    Yeah, HATGATE needs to stop. The idea that Daye is going to be less committed to the Raptors because he's wearing a Chicago hat during the off-season is a little crazy.
    We need HATGATE at this point in the dog days of the off season.

Comment

• Gotta admire Buycks though lol guy went off when he signed that deal, Raptor shit everywhere lol.

Comment

• I am not on any of the social media but I am wondering if Daye has responded to the criticism or attempted to explain the wearing of the Bulls hat. A response/explanation from Daye would be in order.

Comment

• that analogy, about working at Deisel, Apple, etc. I am assuming you're kidding right. Because these are two very different situations.

If you have a shoe deal with Nike, would you play with Adidas on.... think before you answer, you might be forfeiting a really big chunk of cash.

Daye is under contract with the raptors to both play and promote their brand. Wearing the Merchandise of another team is a direct conflict of interest and is frowned upon. If you think it isn't, you likely don't fully understand how it works.

Comment

• I think this "Hat Gate" is all blown out of proportion. Big time.

Who knows, maybe Daye was a Bulls fan and/or a Michael Jordan fan growing up, and that's what his motivation was for playing basketball and making it to the NBA. I would love to see him wearing Raptors gear (100% during the season), but they are employees, it's not like MLSE owns them; they aren't walking billboards that must comply at all times. If my assumption is right, I have respect for him for continuing to honor the team/player he cheered for as a kid.

However, if he did it purely as a fashion/'cool' statement, then that irks me. If there's no past connection and passion towards the Bulls, then it's just a dumb decision.

Without knowing his motivation, I won't rush to judgement. Besides, I could really care less anyway, at least until the season actually starts.

On a related note, wouldn't the Raptors management/PR team outfit all their players with gear? If the team actually cared enough about this, they'd probably work a clause into the players' contract, similar to how they prohibit players from partaking in certain risky activities that could lead to injury, or include personal conduct clauses for players while representing the franchise.

Comment

• I thought they were just trolling...

Comment

• You don't wear the other teams hat.

Its that simple. If you think he won't hear about it in training camp, if not before, you're crazy. Simple.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                  You don't wear the other teams hat.

Its that simple. If you think he won't hear about it in training camp, if not before, you're crazy. Simple.
                  You're kidding right?

Comment

• No, not kidding, just old enough and wise enough to understand what respect means. I don't expect everyone to understand that, there are a lot of clueless kids out there. A guy commented on the Denver Times site about Lawson, it was fairly decent as he alluded to what I did at the beginning of this debate, to the entitlement problem rampant in all area's or the work forcesaid;

If one of my employees at my law firm wore a competitor's hat or logo, I would terminate them. A sense of entitlement is rampant in the American workplace (whether it be professional sports or corporate America). Values such as loyalty and honor have been lost (this applies to both management and it's workforce). With athletes becoming professionals at age 19 and 20, they no longer have the 4 years of college in which to learn about basic life skills, values and ethics. This type of thing didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago. This the the fault as much of management as it is of the athlete. As he gets older, he should learn from these mistakes. Will the owners?
                    He makes a good point, and he's right. Another guy then posted about Nathan McKinnon, who in the same week had been drafted by the Rockies, he was excited that the kid was wearing a Colarado hat. Colorado was NM's team growing up, however, do you think as an NHL guy he would dare wear another teams hat? Not a chance.

Comment

• Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

Comment

No, not kidding, just old enough and wise enough to understand what respect means. I don't expect everyone to understand that, there are a lot of clueless kids out there. A guy commented on the Denver Times site about Lawson, it was fairly decent as he alluded to what I did at the beginning of this debate, to the entitlement problem rampant in all area's or the work forcesaid;

He makes a good point, and he's right. Another guy then posted about Nathan McKinnon, who in the same week had been drafted by the Rockies, he was excited that the kid was wearing a Colarado hat. Colorado was NM's team growing up, however, do you think as an NHL guy he would dare wear another teams hat? Not a chance.
                          Frankly, I question the entitlement issue you seem to have in your role of "fan".

These players are all employees of a particular organization, but they are still human beings with a life outside of the game. What he wears doesn't mean a thing, so long as he performs on the court up to expectations. If there was a clause in the player's contract about dress code or wearing certain brands (whether it's another NBA team, or gang markings, etc...), then that's an entirely different story. Without a clause in the contract, the player has the freedom to choose to dress however he wants and wear whatever sport/team gear he wants (in the offseason).

As to the quote you provided from the Denver site, I'm sure that employee would have a fantastic case for wrongful dismissal. An employee at Ford can drive a Toyota, or an employee of Nike can wear Puma shoes, or an employee of Coke can drink a Pepsi. Unless the employee (which NBA players are) has a clause in the contract prohibiting specific behavior, they have the freedom to do whatever they want and their employer has no choice but to accept it.

Comment

• Never take on a moderator in an argument. That's what I say. I do think Austin Daye is not too bright.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Frankly, I question the entitlement issue you seem to have in your role of "fan".

These players are all employees of a particular organization, but they are still human beings with a life outside of the game. What he wears doesn't mean a thing, so long as he performs on the court up to expectations. If there was a clause in the player's contract about dress code or wearing certain brands (whether it's another NBA team, or gang markings, etc...), then that's an entirely different story. Without a clause in the contract, the player has the freedom to choose to dress however he wants and wear whatever sport/team gear he wants (in the offseason).

As to the quote you provided from the Denver site, I'm sure that employee would have a fantastic case for wrongful dismissal. An employee at Ford can drive a Toyota, or an employee of Nike can wear Puma shoes, or an employee of Coke can drink a Pepsi. Unless the employee (which NBA players are) has a clause in the contract prohibiting specific behavior, they have the freedom to do whatever they want and their employer has no choice but to accept it.
                              I dont give a rats ass what he is legally allowed to do, its a BS move and there is no argument. I am going to assume you played sports, and I am hoping to a decent level. Try to take off your "arguing pants" and stop arguing a point nobody is refuting.

Wearing another team in your own sport and leagues merch is a personal choice, yep, a really fucking lame and disrespectful personal choice. You wanna support it, cool, be that guy. I'm gonna be in the other 90% of the people who watch or play that don't dig it. I'd still drink beer with ya, promise, it aint personal. I just think Daye is a goof and needs to own up and fix that, if not, he's a selfish, entitled prick. Not a good team guy.

Comment

I dont give a rats ass what he is legally allowed to do, its a BS move and there is no argument. I am going to assume you played sports, and I am hoping to a decent level. Try to take off your "arguing pants" and stop arguing a point nobody is refuting.

Wearing another team in your own sport and leagues merch is a personal choice, yep, a really fucking lame and disrespectful personal choice. You wanna support it, cool, be that guy. I'm gonna be in the other 90% of the people who watch or play that don't dig it. I'd still drink beer with ya, promise, it aint personal. I just think Daye is a goof and needs to own up and fix that, if not, he's a selfish, entitled prick. Not a good team guy.
                                I never disagreed with you and said from the start that my preference was for a player to always support their team, but I think that the blowback he's receiving is way too extreme, given his "crime". I just don't think it's worth getting upset over, nor do I think it's necessary to claim he's being disrespectful or disloyal or acting with any sort of young/immature sense of entitlement. I think it's the offseason, he has the right to have a personal life and he made a clothing decision without giving it any thought. Again, if it was during the season, I'd be in full support of grabbing a pitch-fork and assembling the RR mob!

Comment

Working...
                                X