This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p00ka wrote: View Post
    I'm confused any time someone tries to use Morey and Houston as a shining example of great plan *shaking head*, particularly as some sort of justification for unloading best players and bottoming out for high picks. None of which is remotely close to what he did, or even tried.

First, despite continuous 1st round exits, he never unloaded his best players (Yao, T-Mac), but lost them both to injury. Despite that, he never decided to bottom out. He kept chasing FAs, never getting elite ones, because they weren't interested in shit-town Houston. He did manage to get Lowry, then Dragic, both of which he unloaded/ let walk the same year, to go and overpay for Lin and Asik. He wanted Bosh from the Raps, but Bosh wouldn't agree to an extension. He chased Gasol. He chased Howard (round 1).

His draft picks have generally been horrid (eg. Royce White?????), while he traded his best pick (Batum) for a couple of scrubs, before Batum saw the floor for them.

All the while, he kept the team "competitive", at least as far as chasing playoffs, not lottery picks. Man, that team was floundering in no man's land, and the Lin & Asik deals were evidence of his desperation.

He just got very lucky that Presti had a brain fart and made a bad deal unloading Harden for bit parts: K-Mart for half a year, Lamb, Jones, a 12th pick in a historically weak draft.

There's even more to the story, but NOTHING about the desperate attempt after desperate attempt, and poor draft pick after poor draft pick of Morey and Houston is anywhere close to a shining example to follow. He got very lucky with Harden, period.
    It's not much we agree on, but I agree with this assessment of Morey. I've always thought of him as grossly overrated.

Comment

• Can stay on subject? It seem like every thread turns into about how to build a team and our we doing it the right way. STOP the madness. We already have have 5 of those going on
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Can stay on subject? It seem like every thread turns into about how to build a team and our we doing it the right way. STOP the madness. We already have have 5 of those going on
        Seems like all it took was half a day to exhaust everything Austin Daye

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          It's not much we agree on, but I agree with this assessment of Morey. I've always thought of him as grossly overrated.
          Morey reminds me of Jose Canseco. Known for his Homeruns, but should be known for his Strike-outs.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
            I'm confused any time someone tries to use Morey and Houston as a shining example of great plan *shaking head*, particularly as some sort of justification for unloading best players and bottoming out for high picks. None of which is remotely close to what he did, or even tried.

First, despite continuous 1st round exits, he never unloaded his best players (Yao, T-Mac), but lost them both to injury. Despite that, he never decided to bottom out. He kept chasing FAs, never getting elite ones, because they weren't interested in shit-town Houston. He did manage to get Lowry, then Dragic, both of which he unloaded/ let walk the same year, to go and overpay for Lin and Asik. He wanted Bosh from the Raps, but Bosh wouldn't agree to an extension. He chased Gasol. He chased Howard (round 1).

His draft picks have generally been horrid (eg. Royce White?????), while he traded his best pick (Batum) for a couple of scrubs, before Batum saw the floor for them.

All the while, he kept the team "competitive", at least as far as chasing playoffs, not lottery picks. Man, that team was floundering in no man's land, and the Lin & Asik deals were evidence of his desperation.

He just got very lucky that Presti had a brain fart and made a bad deal unloading Harden for bit parts: K-Mart for half a year, Lamb, Jones, a 12th pick in a historically weak draft.

There's even more to the story, but NOTHING about the desperate attempt after desperate attempt, and poor draft pick after poor draft pick of Morey and Houston is anywhere close to a shining example to follow. He got very lucky with Harden, period.
            Here is Morey's history as GM of Houston: http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/daryl_morey.htm

I don't think he is a genius but I don't think the above is very fair either. If he is going to be shit on for some questionable moves, he should be given credit for the good ones. The Harden deal, at the time, was considered a steal by many - myself included (EDIT: Steal for OKC/Presti). It is funny how things work out and the Harden deal was another example of how trades are not always done for basketball reasons especially heading in to this new CBA.

When it comes to drafting, most become nothing. Sure we can highlight the players who he has gaffed on but we can do that with any GM (the Bulls traded Aldridge for Thomas?!?!?). He does have some good draft picks in Parsons and I think Jones and Motiejunas (especially Jones) are due for big years or at the very least a step forward. He managed to use his other picks (Lamb/Patterson/Morris) to leverage more cap space or future picks which all led to getting Howard.

In terms of navigating the CBA and keeping flexibility open year after year while still being competitive, that is impressive. If they were in the East they would have been a playoff team every single year since he has been GM. The team has never been below .500 under his watch.

I would think for those who aspire for the Raps to continue to be as competitive as possible and being opportunistic Morey/Houston would be a shining example of what can happen while still maintaining competitiveness.
            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jul 31, 2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              He was dealing with it. Clearly he reached a point where he had enough as he mentioned "in every thread you(Xixak) comment".

He can talk how he wants. But he should be prepared for the reaction he will receive. No need for you to defend him..
              Also no need to flip out over such a little comment. He's clearly not dealing with it the right way, easily could have ignored it seeing as it wasn't directed at him.

Comment

• Smithy reporting that Daye was a potential Miami/Lakers superstar pickup. Looks like we snatched a winner guys.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  Also no need to flip out over such a little comment. He's clearly not dealing with it the right way, easily could have ignored it seeing as it wasn't directed at him.
                  There's no need for any poster to jump into a personal issue between two other posters and give his 2 cents. If it drags on and/or becomes a bigger issue, the Mods will intervene.

We should all remember to keep our comments respectful, clean and insult free. In a forum as active as RR, there are bound to be differences of opinions - we are all passionate about 'our' Raptors - no need to take things personally or respond with personal jabs.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                    Smithy reporting that Daye was a potential Miami/Lakers superstar pickup. Looks like we snatched a winner guys.
                    ???

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      ???
                      http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...ect-venue.html

A couple of other teams – specifically Miami and the Lakers – were sniffing around the former No. 15 draft pick but he picked Toronto.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        There's no need for any poster to jump into a personal issue between two other posters and give his 2 cents. If it drags on and/or becomes a bigger issue, the Mods will intervene.

We should all remember to keep our comments respectful, clean and insult free. In a forum as active as RR, there are bound to be differences of opinions - we are all passionate about 'our' Raptors - no need to take things personally or respond with personal jabs.
                        Which is exactly why I didn't personally like how Xixak kept taking jabs and adding insults (regardless of how small) at fellow RR posters just because he doesn't agree with their opinion.

Comment

• 7 page thread for Austin Daye?? WOW.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                            Which is exactly why I didn't personally like how Xixak kept taking jabs and adding insults (regardless of how small) at fellow RR posters just because he doesn't agree with their opinion.
                            Yes. I also take issue with the stupid over-reactions that go like "that's the stupidest(worst,most idiotic,most retarded,etc.) (thing) I've ever heard.."

First off, I highly doubt it is.

Secondly and to further prove my doubt is that you see it more than once from the same poster. Like the worst thing they've ever heard changes from week to week. It's totally something a teenage girl would say and as far as I know there's only one (possibly 2 unconfirmed) on here and I've never seen it posted from said posters.

Finally, it's a message board. You can't "hear" a message board.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                              Yes. I also take issue with the stupid over-reactions that go like "that's the stupidest(worst,most idiotic,most retarded,etc.) (thing) I've ever heard.."

First off, I highly doubt it is.

Secondly and to further prove my doubt is that you see it more than once from the same poster. Like the worst thing they've ever heard changes from week to week. It's totally something a teenage girl would say and as far as I know there's only one (possibly 2 unconfirmed) on here and I've never seen it posted from said posters.

Finally, it's a message board. You can't "hear" a message board.
                              right!, wait holdup..bro take that back
                              when we got a problem we come out hard
                              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                look when Masai does something wrong I will be the first person to jump on that, for now every single move has had an element of flexibility and involves a player that either does something extremely well, has the potential too or has shown it and for some reason taken a step back. When you are taking a gamble on someone regaining their form, I'd much rather it be 1 million for someone like Augustin then 6.5M for Fields. I'd much rather a stretch 4 that shoots damn near 50 percent on corner threes for 3.5 million, then a stretch 4 that shoots 30 percent on all threes for 10million. I'd rather a PG that can pass as a backup for 900k then one who can shoot you in or out of a game for 1.5m.
                                That's called being a bandwagon jumper. look, you even included the word "jump"!
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X