This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protocall wrote: View Post
    i was about to lay down the hate and say F you, Ross is the man, but then you make legitimate points.. so i will acknowledge and proceed to frown...and only hope ross gets his shit together.
    Protocall wrote: View Post
    preeeeeeeeeeach
    Thank you somebody understands me.

I don't hate Ross. But all these crazies saying that he deserves huge minutes or we should trade DeMar are on crack. He has proven NOTHING as an NBA player so far. If he doesn't improve and Fields gets his shot back, there's no reason why he should even be on the court I'm sorry.

I want the guy to be successful, but right now he's just not a good basketball player. He's supposed to be a 3+D guy, but he's not really effective at either just yet.

Comment

• Hello people....there is a new sheriff in town and he has been on the job for 2 mos. now. He has picked up a few discards among many available. This is his first test really of picking low cost talent who didnt do so well on other teams. I personally find it exciting to wait out on how they fare on the 2013 version of the Raptors.

In a way this is going to be a further test of Ujiri's talent evaluating and team building capabilities. He is also an analytics man I hear and many orgs. use different #s of it... but there is a knack on how to use such info visavis complimentary to your own team. I am sure most/if not all of us commenting here have no idea what went into the AD selection.

We gotto wait it out. Its going to be interesting.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I hope that is next on Leiweke's agenda.

Get some commentators that don't cause me to watch the game on mute from 6minutes in the first quarter onwards.
        If you can really endure 6 minutes of Rautins, I applaud you, sir.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          If you can really endure 6 minutes of Rautins, I applaud you, sir.
          (extremely. slow. golf-clap )

"Bravo Sir"

Comment

• Kris Joseph actually has a lot of talent its a shame he hasnt found his way into the league yet ***. Kabongo just came in and showed everyone he isnt ready and should have stayed in school....

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
              And we're not using convenient #s... Daye is better than Ross in almost every single statistic and they play almost the same minutes...

Ross: http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../rosste01.html
              Daye: http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../dayeau01.html

Daye has better:
              - PER
              - TS%
              - eFG%
              - ORB%
              - DRB%
              - TRB%
              - BLK%
              - ORtg
              - DRtg
              - OWS
              - DWS
              - WS
              - WS/48

Per 36 Stats:
              Daye: 13.6ppg, 6.6rpg, 2.2apg, 0.7spg, 1.2bpg, 1.5topg, 43.3% FG, 41.8% 3PT, 76.5% FT
              Ross: 13.6ppg, 4.2rpg, 1.5apg, 1.2spg, 0.4bpg, 1.5topg, 40.7% FG, 33.2% 3PT, 71.4% FT
              There are things that Ross does so better, though. Just due to size alone, Ross has the speed and quickness advantage over Daye, which makes him a better perimeter defender than Daye. (Notice that Ross gets more steals than Daye does). I doubt Daye could guard a Kyrie Irving for an entire game without getting the torn-ACL-equivalent of an ankle injury . Ross is a more capable defender in that regard. Conversely, Daye is much taller. This gives him an advantage in the paint, leading to more blocked shots (although him weighing less than Kyle Lowry is worrisome when being pushed around). Ross trying to guard say, an Anthony Davis? In your dreams. Put Daye on him... Not as bad. One is better than the other at a specific aspect of defending. I don't think that can be up for debate.

This speed advantage that Ross has also means he has a greater ability to drive to the hoop. This leads to the second way in which Ross is better than Daye: dunking. A dunk may be only worth 2 points on the stat sheet, but the psychological effect it can have on a game is massive. It gets the team hyped up, the home fans roaring, or if we're away, it gets the the crowd rattled up. It can be a huge momentum swing. In the right situation, it can change the flow, maybe even the outcome of the game. Ross is the reigning NBA dunk champ. Meanwhile, it's not everyday that we see an Austin Daye poster. He would never be able to bring that kind of impact on a game. Not a knock on his play, he just doesn't possess that flair that Ross does. Unlike him, Daye is just not "highlight material." He is not a player that most people get excited to see.

Ross has not used his athleticism to full potential yet, however. His FTs attempted per game averages are painfully low, as he has a tendency to get passive and hesitate from slashing inside. Stats say that Daye is better in this regard at this moment(drawing fouls).

So it comes down to Ross being better at the athletic and intangible aspects at the game, while Daye excels at basically everything else (stats say so, at least). My point here is that Daye MAY be a better player than Ross, but not at ALL aspects of the game, as Xixak suggests.

Comment

• arctic donkey wrote: View Post
                There are things that Ross does so better, though. Just due to size alone, Ross has the speed and quickness advantage over Daye, which makes him a better perimeter defender than Daye. (Notice that Ross gets more steals than Daye does). I doubt Daye could guard a Kyrie Irving for an entire game without getting the torn-ACL-equivalent of an ankle injury . Ross is a more capable defender in that regard. Conversely, Daye is much taller. This gives him an advantage in the paint, leading to more blocked shots (although him weighing less than Kyle Lowry is worrisome when being pushed around). Ross trying to guard say, an Anthony Davis? In your dreams. Put Daye on him... Not as bad. One is better than the other at a specific aspect of defending. I don't think that can be up for debate.

Both guys are unspectacular and mediocre defensively. Blocked shots and steals =/= good defense btw, just letting you know.

This speed advantage that Ross has also means he has a greater ability to drive to the hoop. This leads to the second way in which Ross is better than Daye: dunking. A dunk may be only worth 2 points on the stat sheet, but the psychological effect it can have on a game is massive. It gets the team hyped up, the home fans roaring, or if we're away, it gets the the crowd rattled up. It can be a huge momentum swing. In the right situation, it can change the flow, maybe even the outcome of the game. Ross is the reigning NBA dunk champ. Meanwhile, it's not everyday that we see an Austin Daye poster. He would never be able to bring that kind of impact on a game. Not a knock on his play, he just doesn't possess that flair that Ross does. Unlike him, Daye is just not "highlight material." He is not a player that most people get excited to see.

Does Ross really have greater ability to drive to the hoop though? Both guys are terrible at getting to the line, but Daye is actually better (1.8 FTA per 36, 0.6 in 12 minutes) than Ross (1.2 FTA per 36, 0.6 in 17 minutes) at it. Daye also converts his free throws at a higher rate. Lol dunks do not mean anything. They're great for the wow factor, but please let me know how much Gerald Green and Blake Griffin's spectacular dunking helped the Pacers and Clippers in the playoffs? Flair does not make you a good basketball player.

Ross has not used his athleticism to full potential yet, however. His FTs attempted per game averages are painfully low, as he has a tendency to get passive and hesitate from slashing inside. Stats say that Daye is better in this regard at this moment(drawing fouls).

Already touched on this earlier. Athleticism and ability to get to the free throw line are not directly correlated. It's a skill that also requires the player to be willing to take punishment. Ross has not demonstrated the desire or ability to get to the free throw line despite his athleticism. He averaged 1.0 and 2.7 free throw attempts per game in his two college seasons and 0.6 attempts per game this year. He doesn't get to the line, period.

So it comes down to Ross being better at the athletic and intangible aspects at the game, while Daye excels at basically everything else (stats say so, at least). My point here is that Daye MAY be a better player than Ross, but not at ALL aspects of the game, as Xixak suggests.

You have still failed to outline anything that Ross is clearly better at besides being more athletic.

Comment

• Oh come on, at least give me the point that Ross is clearly a better perimeter defender than Daye.

And also, i don't think its fair to just minimize the power of the dunk to nothing the poster dunk is one of the most momentum swinging plays in basketball.

For example, remember Lebron's dunk on Jason Terry? They were down 37-48 after Lebron came up with that monster dunk. That play was followed by a 12-7 Heat run. That may not seem like a huge run, but hey, that run could have been the difference between a win and a loss, especially in a game that came down to the last possession.

Another example: Clippers vs. Lakers, April 4, 2012. Blake Griffin posterizes Pau Gasol. 12-5 Clippers run followed.

Griffin on Mozgov: started a 9-3 run.

Spectacular dunks can impact a game. So when you say "dunks do not mean anything," i beg to differ.

I'm not saying Ross is better than Daye. I can't, really. There isn't much to back up such argument. His athletic advantages however, makes him a better player at certain aspects of the game. Ross can't rebound, assist, block, shoot, or even draw FTs better than Daye. But the obvious difference in the steals stats point to Ross' superiority over Daye as a perimeter defender. Is Tony Allen a better player than Kobe? Hell no. Is Tony Allen a better perimeter defender than Kobe? Yes.

Also, Ross' abilty to dunk is greater than Daye's (and i believe dunks are useful tools in the NBA, contrary to your beliefs.). Tim Duncan is a better player than Blake Griffin. Blake is nowhere close to the superstar Duncan is. But Timmy can't bring the same energy and excitement to the environment the way Blake can. He has the ability to start a huge run with a single play. That aspect of the game should not be minimized. The NBA is a mental game as much as it is a physical game.

Comment

• Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                      30 points and 10 rebounds being matched up against KD? Even if it is Drew League and no one plays defense, I'll take it. Hopefully it'll be a sign of his confidence growing which will also hopefully translate to more confidence in his game next season.

Comment

• hahaha. 30 and 10..... half that and he is already over achieving. I wish Daye well!

Comment

• I want to see Ross in Drew League. He needs to get his confidence up.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            I want to see Ross in Drew League. He needs to get his confidence up.
                            Maybe we should let him play against children.

I see a 30* and 10 in his future vs Miss Mcentire's grade 8s.

*on 13-28 shooting

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                              Maybe we should let him play against children.

I see a 30* and 10 in his future vs Miss Mcentire's grade 8s.

*on 13-28 shooting
                              LOL

Although, that 13-28 would represent a significantly higher Shooting Percentage than his Season Average from last year ... so there's that...

All kidding aside, I expect Ross to have a big year.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                LOL

Although, that 13-28 would represent a significantly higher Shooting Percentage than his Season Average from last year ... so there's that...

All kidding aside, I expect Ross to have a big year for the Lake Erie Bayhawks.
                                Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X