Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Raptors only have one non-American left on the team - Jonas

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie p3t3ypablo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Raptors only have one non-American left on the team - Jonas

Every single player on the current roster went to school in the US except for JV.

Seems like the management has taken notice and stopped the stockpiling of international talent once and for all.

I'm curious if it was the fans' outcry against the Euro flavour, or if they just realized its a league dominated by superior athletes born in America. Maybe it's both? Can't be a coincidence, even if the number of international players was a little lower in the past few years than 06/07.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's totally a coincidence. Stop reading so much into things. It has nothing to do with anything other than trying to get good players. After all, Ujiri cut his teeth as a scout, and specifically as an international scout. To think that he'd stay away from foreign players is nuts.

*Also, it's actually harder to sign international players when you're strapped for cash. Even though they might not demand a ton of money, it's hard to get them at the minimum, between any buy-out, and compensating them for the risk of leaving an established, successful career. Even harder if you're not a contender.

**Also, wasn't it pretty widely known/accepted that the international talent pool had been picked pretty clean the last few years? For a while, there was just less movement across the ocean.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 05:34 AM.

Raptors Republic Rookie dzoni71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
    C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
    PF Nowitzki/Horford/Ibaka
    SF Deng/Ilyasova/Kirilenko
    SG Ginobili/Batum/Galinari
    PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
    Pretty sure Raptors fans wouldn't mind seeing their roster look like that?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dzoni71 wrote: View Post
    There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
    C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
    PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
    This x1000

I don't give a damn if the players are from Europe, Asia, America, Africa or freaking Pluto. All that matters is if they're good.

Going out of your way to avoid international players is idiotic. Thank God BC didn't do this in the 2011 draft after striking out on several Euros in the past via the draft and FA. Otherwise we'd probably have Brandon Knight right now instead of Jonas.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
    PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
    Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..
    Yeah by that logic Kyrie Irving is international as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Yeah by that logic Kyrie Irving is international as well.
    At one point, he was considering playing for Australia I believe in International competition.
    But didn't because he wanted to eventually be considered elligible for Team USA.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie dzoni71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't compare any of these to Duncan. Tim is born on US soil, played for Team USA so he is definitely an American player. Noah plays for France is of foreign parents and was only born in the US. Deng was born in Africa, spent most of his childhood in the UK and plays for Britain. Just because someone played college basketball does not mean they are not international players, for example Vucevic attended USC, but I do not think anyone would classify him an American.
    It doesn't really matter cause I could have easily replaced them with Pau Gasol, Pekovic and Varejao, that would still be a pretty good team.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you consider Andrew Wiggins American then?
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Do you consider Andrew Wiggins American then?
    The term American and Euro in NBA terminology basically means NCAA and International club team. So ya, Wiggins falls into the American category and all the South Americans, Africans and Brandon Jennings fall into Euro.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
    PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
    Isnt Noah from New York?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors did a poor job scouting international players. Even when they got solid international players they let them go (MB for instance). It's best to reset and get players that fit exactly what's needed. Remember Buyks played in France-- it's not like they're not scouting Europe. Almost every team has international players, it's not a big deal. I'm sure the Raps will add international players in the future.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    The Raptors did a poor job scouting international players. Even when they got solid international players they let them go (MB for instance). It's best to reset and get players that fit exactly what's needed. Remember Buyks played in France-- it's not like they're not scouting Europe. Almost every team has international players, it's not a big deal. I'm sure the Raps will add international players in the future.
    Who the hell is MB?

Post Thanks / Like

Buycks was signed mainly from what he showed in Summer League, from what I've read.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Buycks was signed mainly from what he showed in Summer League, from what I've read.
    I don't know if that's true. I think most of the stories about the signing cited his strong summer league play mostly because bball writers wouldn't know what else to talk about.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh?

Jonas
    Jose

and that's just the j's .... lol.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with white mean can't jump....this is purely coincidental, not a plot to avoid players from certain countries.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who the hell is MB?
    Marco Belinelli.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Marco Belinelli.
    Ahh that makes more sense. I was thinking Maceo Baston ...
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Marco Belinelli.
    Wow. I completely missed that. I was thinking Mengke Bateer... if anyone remembers him :P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information