No announcement yet.

The Raptors only have one non-American left on the team - Jonas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with white mean can't jump....this is purely coincidental, not a plot to avoid players from certain countries.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
      Can I get a source for that term? Or did you just pull it out of your ass.
      You asking for a source, now that's clever

Comment

Who the hell is MB?
        Marco Belinelli.
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

p3t3ypablo wrote: View Post
          Seems like the management has taken notice and stopped the stockpiling of international talent once and for all.

I'm curious if it was the fans' outcry against the Euro flavour, or if they just realized its a league dominated by superior athletes born in America. Maybe it's both? Can't be a coincidence, even if the number of international players was a little lower in the past few years than 06/07.
          Don't mistake the fact that Toronto management couldn't find good international players for the belief that there are no good international players. At the start of the year, a record 84 players were on NBA rosters (according to NBA.com).

Ujiri rose in his profession in large part due to his knowledge and scouting of international players. His Fournier pick was panned by many in Denver but turned out to be very good. I doubt that a guy with Ujiri's pedigree is shying away from international players.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
            Marco Belinelli.
            Ahh that makes more sense. I was thinking Maceo Baston ...

Comment

We should have kept Bargnani

Comment

p3t3ypablo wrote: View Post
                Every single player on the current roster went to school in the US except for JV.

Seems like the management has taken notice and stopped the stockpiling of international talent once and for all.

I'm curious if it was the fans' outcry against the Euro flavour, or if they just realized its a league dominated by superior athletes born in America. Maybe it's both? Can't be a coincidence, even if the number of international players was a little lower in the past few years than 06/07.
                So by your logic, I guess we should get rid of JV as well? He is, after all, an inferior athlete (because he was not born in America).

Also, is there any way we can get JL3 back from the jazz? Or is it too late? Now THAT guy was a superior athlete. Because he was born in America.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

My understanding was the MU arrived in the NBA with a skill set that included recruiting "foreign" players. He knows the African continent and where to find talent there. How does this perception align with your suggestion that he wants to reduce the non-American content on the team?

Perhaps he's been in the NBA long enough to realize how important player development in America is to success in the NBA. I mean check out the "Canadian" talent being drafted to the NBA recently - did they develop in Canadian universities? I think not.

Comment

rap wrote: View Post
                    comedy at it's finest
                    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I almost clicked the infraction button on that one
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        The Raptors did a poor job scouting international players. Even when they got solid international players they let them go (MB for instance). It's best to reset and get players that fit exactly what's needed. Remember Buyks played in France-- it's not like they're not scouting Europe. Almost every team has international players, it's not a big deal. I'm sure the Raps will add international players in the future.
                        Buycks was signed mainly from what he showed in Summer League, from what I've read.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I almost clicked the infraction button on that one
                          Can we create a 'Boo' option?

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                            Buycks was signed mainly from what he showed in Summer League, from what I've read.
                            I don't know if that's true. I think most of the stories about the signing cited his strong summer league play mostly because bball writers wouldn't know what else to talk about.

Comment

Hmmm seems like people are misinterpreting me. My logic isn't that international players aren't talented (of course there are many, some of you listed several examples). What I was implying was that perhaps the management has made a conscious decision to stop building a team with international flavour overall to be successful. Maybe they even avoid international players unless they are clear-cut fantastic, game-changing players. Making an effort to go Euro was how Raptors fans and the rest of the league described/perceived it 6-7 years ago was it not (and even more recently than that)? It's just interesting to see the style change, no matter what the reason may be.

Of course it could be coincidence, absolutely! But its a strange one at least warranting discussion, considering how many people bashed the Euro flavour, and now it's almost completely "domestic".
                              Last edited by p3t3ypablo; Thu Aug 1, 2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I missed the days when we had Bargnani, Calderon, Turkoglu, Nesterovic, Brezec, Bellinelli, Ukic, Garbajosa, Slokar...
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X