View Poll Results: Who's Better

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Player A

4 50.00%
  • Player B

4 50.00%

Thread: Who's Better Between these Two Players?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's Better Between these Two Players?

Code:
    Player	Usg	TS%	Ast%	TO%	Win%	WARP
     A       .238	.510	.078	.129	.527	7.0
     B       .267	.496	.098	.173	.525	6.9
    Take a guess at who Players A and B are.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Player A ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Player A is Brandon Jennings
    Player B is Jrue Holiday.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care what these very selective stats tell you, there is no way Jennings is a better player than Holiday in any way.

Holiday is a vastly superior defensive player. Definitely among the better defensive PGs in the league. Jennings, on the other hand, is a pretty bad defensive player.

Then there's usage, not just in terms of %s, but in terms of situations. Holiday seriously lacked talent around him last year, in a bad way. His poor shooting performances are often due to being forced to take the bulk of the shots as the only decent scoring option. Holiday's dip in efficiency stats is due to the combination of the talent around him getting worse while his role got bigger. Jennings, on the other hand, for whom those things were used as an excuse earlier in his career, had more talent in Milwaukee than in his earlier years, and was playing the same role he always has, and still showed no growth in his game whatsoever.

Holiday came into the league as a much more raw player in terms of offense. He was basically drafted for his D and character, and had rewarded Philly, and now will reward New Orleans, by having become a good, if not great, offensive player. Jennings has not added a single thing to his game. He has not gotten better at his strengths, and he hasn't worked on his weaknesses. I don't see Jennings really turning into anything more than he already is, which is a volume scorer with poor decision making. At this point, I would say Holiday is well on his way to becoming the better NBA floor general.

I'd take Holiday over Jennings 10 times out of 10, and I have thought that since draft night. Even though I assumed like most that the Raps would draft a wing, but if say, DeMar was gone at 9 (a real possibility), then it would have probably been a PG given the strong crop. I hoped Curry would fall, and then Holiday was next on my list, especially since we had Jose. Figured draft the big, athletic, defensive PG, and see if he can learn behind Jose for a couple of years. Never liked Jennings. Both his game and personality seemed to have failed to mature. And you know he would have cried about it if he had to come into the league as a backup.

5. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@white man can't jump: "I'd take Holiday over Jennings 10 times out of 10"

Agree.

7. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When I saw the AS% I thought you were talking about bigs.. those are pretty low assist percentages for PG's. Do you have that stat right? 7.8% and 9.8% are awful for PG's.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not say that Brandon Jennings is better than Holiday. I'd rather have Jrue.

But it's quite clear that either Jrue is overrated or Jennings is underrated (it's likely a combination of both, with the former being more of a contributing factor). The point of posting this was to show that they are actually comparable statistically.

@planetmars

Yes those AST%s are wrong (I pulled those stats from an ESPN Insider article).

Jennings: 29.1%
    Jrue: 36.5%

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's the better teammate?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Sarcasm I hope..
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    When I saw the AS% I thought you were talking about bigs.. those are pretty low assist percentages for PG's. Do you have that stat right? 7.8% and 9.8% are awful for PG's.
    Jennings asst% 29.1
    Holiday asst% 36.5

13. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh.... Xixak I thought it you should said that you should compare players purely on stats because there are other things they bring to the table that can't be shown on stats...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Much rather have Jrue!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Uhhh.... Xixak I thought it you should said that you should compare players purely on stats because there are other things they bring to the table that can't be shown on stats...
    Obviously we should compare players based on other things besides stats (I think that's what you're trying to say?)

But it's interesting to see how similar these two are statistically. And additionally Jennings' team actually was quite a bit better than Jrue's with only a marginally better supporting cast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Obviously we should compare players based on other things besides stats (I think that's what you're trying to say?)

But it's interesting to see how similar these two are statistically. And additionally Jennings' team actually was quite a bit better than Jrue's with only a marginally better supporting cast.
    And yet you haven't provided anything besides stats in this whole thread that supports the fact that Jrue is overrated and Jennings is underrated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet you haven't provided anything besides stats in this whole thread that supports the fact that Jrue is overrated and Jennings is underrated.
    Ok nvm Jrue is a superstar and BJ Is a scrub.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Ok nvm Jrue is a superstar and BJ Is a scrub.
    I don't understand you. Why do you cave in so easily? I just want you to give me some more insight to your opinion besides just pounding me with stats. That's the point of posting a thread like this; to stir up a conversation from two different perspectives. You seems like a smart individual. What is one aspect that makes BJ underrated? What is one aspect that makes Jrue overrated?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Holiday is the better player, mainly because of defense. But he's also overrated. He had half a year at an all star level, made the all star game, and then fell off. Like a rock. I thought the trade was bad and they should've been patient for another year.

But, the Pelicans owner is approaching 90. You can't spend years and years rebuilding at that age.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Fri Aug 2nd, 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you caught me slippin, i would have chosen player A but when you said it was brandon i changed my mind and went with Holiday
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

22. Like Xixak liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand you. Why do you cave in so easily? I just want you to give me some more insight to your opinion besides just pounding me with stats. That's the point of posting a thread like this; to stir up a conversation from two different perspectives. You seems like a smart individual. What is one aspect that makes BJ underrated? What is one aspect that makes Jrue overrated?
    I don't understand you.

Here's why Jrue is overrated.

He is a slightly better player than Brandon Jennings on both sides of the ball. Yet people consider him deserving of his all-star selection, and many would say he's underpaid at 11M a year. Jennings is NOT THAT MUCH worse of a player statistically yet people are complaining that he's not even worth 8M a season.

Thread Information