Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Other teams moves = change in Raptors plans? or not?

Raptors Republic All-Star mike, prague's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man ... Detroit sure does have some respectable names on their roster...
    They could use a near elite SF though ... someone like oh ... I dunno Gay
    I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough/Ross for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
    We'd get $17M off the books in 2014 + Drummond + a #15-20 Draft pick ...

Sounds kinda tenforthewin-ish though ...
    Last edited by mike, prague; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mike, prague wrote: View Post
    I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
    Problem is the Pistons don't have a pick to trade - it belongs to Charlotte.

Drummond is not going to happen, imo, but Monroe could.

Here is who has what picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Charlotte makes a lot of sense to me with Gay and Lowry heading there. Problem is they could both leave as FAs leaving Charlotte with nothing. How much do they - or any team - give up in that situation?
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Weathers15 wrote: View Post
    Cleveland ,Washington and Detroit have maxed out ..raps still have alot of room for improvement plus there all on the same level
    I'd say you're wrong about all three but definitely Cleveland and Washington. The Cavs have 4 players who were taken in the top four during the last 3 drafts... the oldest one is Tristan Thompson who turned 22 a couple months ago. They'll have enough cap room next summer to add a max player and they have 4 more first rounders over the next two drafts. Washington has 3 top five picks from the last 4 drafts and only something like $20 million guaranteed in salary going into next summer.
    Last edited by Fully; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Well, my babbling of a theory is one thing, but when you say "I am surprised many responders in the thread believe that MU is in a evaluating mode.", my primary point is that I take the man at his word, as I guess many do. I see no reason to question the man's honesty and integrity. Have at it if it works for you, but I feel it's not so unbelievable that many don't.
    I wouldn't say he's being dishonest or question his integrity just because he hasn't exposed his cards for the entire league to see. No matter what his plan is, he does himself no favours by broadcasting it. If he says that he's tearing the team down and rebuilding, his players immediately lose value. If he comes out and says that they're going to run with this core and he's on the market for an all star type player, other GMs will just raise their price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't say Milwaukee is motivated to make the playoffs. They're kinda suck in purgatory right now...
    There have been plenty of reports that their ownership group mandates the playoffs every year. Whether they're able to keep their head above water remains to be seen but I think it's clear that they're trying to stay competitive. They handed out a lot of money to veterans for a team that was planning on rebuilding.

Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight.
    If someone is optimistic about the Raptors he's a homer.
    If they're pessimistic they're a realist?

I don't get that.

7. Like NoPropsneeded, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post

I don't get that.

I don't know about that. My own personal views are a little more complex then that.

For instance, I'm optimistic that Masai will do better than BC.

I'm pessimistic that Casey is the right coach for THIS roster.

I can envision scenarios where the Raps win 50 games this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we are one
    injury away from 30 - 35 wins.

You can go in a bunch of differing directions based on the topic at hand.

I for one happen to think our long term future is quite rosy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's safe to see Teague and Sanders are going to get plenty of burn and they will be shooting for a high pick. I think you can officially put the Bucks in Tank Mode, which I hope frees up Ilysova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I don't know about that. My own personal views are a little more complex then that.

For instance, I'm optimistic that Masai will do better than BC.

I'm pessimistic that Casey is the right coach for THIS roster.

I can envision scenarios where the Raps win 50 games this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we are one
    injury away from 30 - 35 wins.

You can go in a bunch of differing directions based on the topic at hand.

I for one happen to think our long term future is quite rosy.
    Not everyone is fair like that though lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I think it's safe to see Teague and Sanders are going to get plenty of burn and they will be shooting for a high pick. I think you can officially put the Bucks in Tank Mode, which I hope frees up Ilysova
    Jeff Teague is on the Hawks

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

When you look at the low risk moves Masai has made, it appears like while he's hoping play offs(with the existing team), he's prepared for the worst and that is his plan. I don't think Detroit or any teams moves would change the plan.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get that.
    That's exactly what i said

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get that.
    I don't think being optimistic about the Raptors means you're a homer necessarily. I'm talking about specific responses where fans put their fingers in their ears and refuse to believe that ANY of the other borderline playoff teams got better besides the Raptors (who ironically enough made the least amount of improvements this summer). Responses that claim the Atlanta Hawks got worse because they lost Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia, and yet the Pistons and Bucks also got worse for acquiring them. People that say the Cavaliers and Wizards have "hit their ceiling". Ridiculous stuff like that.

I think the Raptors are capable of making the playoffs this season - maybe even the 7th seed if everything breaks in their favor and the other teams they're competing with get some bad breaks. But I also think they could end up 10th just as easily. With big decisions on Lowry/Gay looming, the postseason looking like something of a coinflip at this point, and the 2014 draft being so loaded at the top end - I think it's a good time to tear it down. Maybe I'm a pessimist. Maybe I'm being logical. We shall find out.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Im just wondering, when teams make moves, does it directly or indirectly affect Masai's vision/plans for the future? Or should he simply not care at all?

Clearly Detroit's recent move picking up Jennings put them at least, in the Top 5 in the east. I think it puts them right up there with the Knicks battling for the 5th seed.

So if Masai was thinking of riding this roster out and hopefully making the playoffs, clearly Detroit's acquisition of Jennings almost guarantees them a playoff spot therefore pushing washington, cavs and raps further down.

Will this alter Masai's plans?
    Take a middling player from a mediocre team, and put him on another mediocre team, and all of a sudden they're top 5 in the east?

Not sure how you figure that.

Frankly, I'd rather have Brandon Knight than Brandon Jennings. And not just for contract/potential reasons -- Jennings will shoot you out of a lot of games (especially on a team whose bigs are by far their best players).

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Well, my babbling of a theory is one thing, but when you say "I am surprised many responders in the thread believe that MU is in a evaluating mode.", my primary point is that I take the man at his word, as I guess many do. I see no reason to question the man's honesty and integrity. Have at it if it works for you, but I feel it's not so unbelievable that many don't.
    Maybe I have been corrupted by the political blog sites I sometimes visit!

You put it too starkly re "the honesty and integrity" values. I did not mean to impugn but rather that MU does not feel a need to divulge any details for obvious reasons...major among them is keeping other gms guessing and quite possibly he is in fact unsure himself because of what the returns might be (too paltry to consider). I just feel that he should know enough of this team by now to have a pretty good judgement of whether he has the core he wants to go to battle with.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mike, prague wrote: View Post
    I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough/Ross for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
    We'd get $17M off the books in 2014 + Drummond + a #15-20 Draft pick ...

DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US DRUMMOND FOR GAY.

And to add a 2014 pick (which they don't have btw)? Are you nuts?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Problem is the Pistons don't have a pick to trade - it belongs to Charlotte.

Drummond is not going to happen, imo, but Monroe could.

Here is who has what picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Charlotte makes a lot of sense to me with Gay and Lowry heading there. Problem is they could both leave as FAs leaving Charlotte with nothing. How much do they - or any team - give up in that situation?
    Charlotte would probably give us Kemba Walker + BG + Filler and whichever they think is gonna be worst of the DET, POR and CHA picks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I don't think being optimistic about the Raptors means you're a homer necessarily. I'm talking about specific responses where fans put their fingers in their ears and refuse to believe that ANY of the other borderline playoff teams got better besides the Raptors (who ironically enough made the least amount of improvements this summer). Responses that claim the Atlanta Hawks got worse because they lost Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia, and yet the Pistons and Bucks also got worse for acquiring them. People that say the Cavaliers and Wizards have "hit their ceiling". Ridiculous stuff like that.

I think the Raptors are capable of making the playoffs this season - maybe even the 7th seed if everything breaks in their favor and the other teams they're competing with get some bad breaks. But I also think they could end up 10th just as easily. With big decisions on Lowry/Gay looming, the postseason looking like something of a coinflip at this point, and the 2014 draft being so loaded at the top end - I think it's a good time to tear it down. Maybe I'm a pessimist. Maybe I'm being logical. We shall find out.
    THIS is the point of view of a realist.

An optimist thinks that we're a lock for the 5th or 6th seed and are about on par with the Knicks. A pessimist thinks we're a lock for 11th and every player on our team except Jonas + Amir suck and are overpaid.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    THIS is the point of view of a realist.

An optimist thinks that we're a lock for the 5th or 6th seed and are about on par with the Knicks. A pessimist thinks we're a lock for 11th and every player on our team except Jonas + Amir suck and are overpaid.
    I think we're a lock for somewhere between the 1st and 15th spot. I'd say THAT makes me a realist.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Charlotte would probably give us Kemba Walker + BG + Filler and whichever they think is gonna be worst of the DET, POR and CHA picks.
    I think this is maybe a little lowball. Rudy's player option means he's effectively an expiring contract (as you have previously and correctly noted) and so is Lowry, so we send them $20M in capspace that also happens to be good players rather than, say, Biedrins/Jefferson level of usefulness.

I think Rudy + Lowry nets us, at a minimum: Kemba, Ben Gordon (who has to be part of the deal, both because of his large expiring contract making the money work and because Charlotte very much wants him gone), and at least two first-round picks. Charlotte can't trade their 2014 first-rounder because it's already traded to Chicago (albeit on a protected basis so Charlotte probably still gets it this year). So... probably the Detroit and Portland picks, which will most likely both be mid-round this year. If MKG continues to disappoint in Charlotte (and he was not very good in summer league, so that could definitely happen) I could see them throwing him in as well because with Rudy on the team MKG becomes strictly bench material.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information