Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hey TorStar- we deserve a Raptor's beat reporter that actually likes basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Never understood why so many people hate devlin. He has an exciting and pumped commentary style. Prob why the people at TNT hire him to do playoff games and not others? I mean, would you rather listen the likes of commentators on cavs, knicks, celtics games? Bunch of old people talking in monotone at a slow-ass word-a-minute?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Never understood why so many people hate devlin. He has an exciting and pumped commentary style. Prob why the people at TNT hire him to do playoff games and not others? I mean, would you rather listen the likes of commentators on cavs, knicks, celtics games? Bunch of old people talking in monotone at a slow-ass word-a-minute?
    I don't think Devlin is awful...He's kinda odd. And he makes some really bad random mistakes. Also, I swear, and I think it's probably because the Raps have sucked, so I don't mind that much, but I'm 99% sure he's done some broadcasts at least a little bit drunk.

3. Like NoPropsneeded, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I do because

1) I don't think he understands basketball all that well.

2) He's can be a real douche to his colour man. He routinely cuts them off, ignores them, or contradicts them. I don't care so much in Leo's case; in fact, I think it's kind of funny, especially when Leo gets angry and then starts firing back at him passive-agressively. But Jack deserves better than that.

3) He reminds of Michael Scott.

But I agree with you with respect to some of the other commentators you hear around league. So many of them are just god awful. The bar seems to be set extremely low, and by comparison Devlin isn't bad. But that doesn't mean he's good imo.

I happened to be watching a random Hawks game this year (don't ask why - I couldn't even tell you why) and they had an MC guest commentating for a quarter. I think it was The Game, but I can't be sure. And Dominique Wilkins was in the booth with him. Anyways, it was the greatest quarter of NBA commentating I've heard in my life. The MC really knew his shit, and it was clear that he really loved basketball, and since he's an MC he was kind of freestyling the whole time. It was incredible.

So I think we need to figure out how to get an MC into our broadcast booth. What's Kardinal up to these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    2) He's can be a real douche to his colour man. He routinely cuts them off, ignores them, or contradicts them. I don't care so much in Leo's case; in fact, I think it's kind of funny, especially when Leo gets angry and then starts firing back at him passive-agressively. But Jack deserves better than that.
    in the past season or two, jack's style has really hit the fan. he shits on the raptors alot now, though i just assumed he got fed up with them as much as we have. but i still dont think thats appropriate for a commentator which is why i want him to go.

that and i can only take his voice so much before i literally have to change the channel.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

in the past season or two, jack's style has really hit the fan. he shits on the raptors alot now, though i just assumed he got fed up with them as much as we have. but i still dont think thats appropriate for a commentator which is why i want him to go.

that and i can only take his voice so much before i literally have to change the channel.
    the mute button also works
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I happened to be watching a random Hawks game this year (don't ask why - I couldn't even tell you why) and they had an MC guest commentating for a quarter. I think it was The Game, but I can't be sure. And Dominique Wilkins was in the booth with him. Anyways, it was the greatest quarter of NBA commentating I've heard in my life. The MC really knew his shit, and it was clear that he really loved basketball, and since he's an MC he was kind of freestyling the whole time. It was incredible.

So I think we need to figure out how to get an MC into our broadcast booth. What's Kardinal up to these days?
    If it actually was The Game he'd know a fair bit, he was (apparently....wikipedia has a He Said/She Said story on this part) a good enough player in HS to get a college scholarship but got kicked off and ended up pursuing his true (thug) passion.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's because he legitimately seems fed up that I don't mind his griping. To me, it shows that he actually cares about the team, and I like that.

I have to say though, I noticed last year that all of them - Matt, Leo and Jack - were getting a little chippy. With respect to the our own personnel, and, of course, the refs. Jack, though, really wasn't afraid to let it fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I do because

1) I don't think he understands basketball all that well.

3) He reminds of Michael Scott.

But I agree with you with respect to some of the other commentators you hear around league. So many of them are just god awful. The bar seems to be set extremely low, and by comparison Devlin isn't bad. But that doesn't mean he's good imo.

It's hilarious when Devlin and Leo's egos clash. It actually makes a shit game interesting.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. People just likes to hate on everything. LOL.

Matt Devlin is a very good play by play guy in my opinion. And i'm also a huge fan of Jack Armstrong. Both these guys are great at what they do.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

All we need to do is get rid of Smith, Armstrong, Rautins; we will truly be free of everything from the colangelo era.

At the same time can we get jonesy and smith from radio onto tv, pretty please?
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Leo says shit like
    "dribble the ball"
    "play defense"
    "make the right pass"
    "don't bite on pump fakes"
    NO SHIT! Why is he still a commentator!?
    He kisses all the right asses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    we're halfway there! Woooah! Livin' on a prayer!
    Raptors' have been living on a prayer for last 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Raptors' have been living on a prayer for last 5 years.
    just remember you asked for it.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information