Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Signs Of Tanking?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    This is literally what I just pointed out about wanting to have your cake and eat it to. Good deals for Gay/DD/Lowry are not available right now. We saw the Pistons offer. I swear some of you tankers are under the impression that Ujiri is being offered unprotected 1sts and prospects for our vets... this is just simply not true otherwise he would take the deal he's not an idiot.

This isn't NBA2K where you can make a trade whenever you feel like regardless of whether the other team wants to do a deal at that particular time. Both teams have to be comfortable with the idea of making drastic changes to their roster and team outlook.
    Side note, every time someone mentions NBA2k in reference to making roster moves, I want bad things to happen to that person. It's a cliche comment against making any move you disagree with.

I find it amazing to believe that you, Xixak or anyone else on here, has even the slightest clue what deals are out there now, or were there at the draft. MU has the tightest ship and we don't hear anything until it happens. So how can you say beyond a doubt that there are no good deals?

At the draft, there was a discussion of trading Gay to Cleveland for the #1 pick, straight-up. Some people were for it (myself included) and some were against it. Who knows if it was really an offer on the table or not? None of us work in the NBA front office, so all we can do is discuss options we would like to see explored and share our opinions on each other's ideas.

So how exactly is wanting the Raptors to make roster changes now (as of the end of last season really) wanting to have our cake and eat it too? And who the hell doesn't want to eat their own cake? That idiom doesn't even make sense.

2. Like LBF, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Side note, every time someone mentions NBA2k in reference to making roster moves, I want bad things to happen to that person. It's a cliche comment against making any move you disagree with.

I find it amazing to believe that you, Xixak or anyone else on here, has even the slightest clue what deals are out there now, or were there at the draft. MU has the tightest ship and we don't hear anything until it happens. So how can you say beyond a doubt that there are no good deals?

At the draft, there was a discussion of trading Gay to Cleveland for the #1 pick, straight-up. Some people were for it (myself included) and some were against it. Who knows if it was really an offer on the table or not? None of us work in the NBA front office, so all we can do is discuss options we would like to see explored and share our opinions on each other's ideas.

So how exactly is wanting the Raptors to make roster changes now (as of the end of last season really) wanting to have our cake and eat it too? And who the hell doesn't want to eat their own cake? That idiom doesn't even make sense.
    Ok

And actually that idiom does make sense. What it means by you can't "have" your cake, is you can't keep your cake, and also eat it.

It's easier to understand in modern English if you say "You can't eat your cake and have it to." Basically once you've eaten your cake, it isn't possible for you to have it any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok

And actually that idiom does make sense. What it means by you can't "have" your cake, is you can't keep your cake, and also eat it.

It's easier to understand in modern English if you say "You can't eat your cake and have it to." Basically once you've eaten your cake, it isn't possible for you to have it any longer.
    Ok know it all...

5. Like LBF liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok know it all...

You're the one who said it doesn't make any sense, when it clearly does. Not my fault that you can't understand English well.

Post Thanks / Like

You're the one who said it doesn't make any sense, when it clearly does. Not my fault that you can't understand English well.
    You are truly amazing. You completely ignore the topic commentary and instead choose to leach on to what was, to me, clearly a joke and then proceed to try and compound your doucheness by saying that it's because I "can't understand English well". Bravo sir.

The fact remains, you act like you know every fact and detail in the league, and therefore only your opinion and view can be valid, but here is the stark reality; You know nothing. It is all speculation and your opinion is fine to have and sharing it is why we are here, but your ridiculous ventures into another avenues and comments is what makes you so disliked among your peers.

8. Like LBF liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You are truly amazing. You completely ignore the topic commentary and instead choose to leach on to what was, to me, clearly a joke and then proceed to try and compound your doucheness by saying that it's because I "can't understand English well". Bravo sir.

The fact remains, you act like you know every fact and detail in the league, and therefore only your opinion and view can be valid, but here is the stark reality; You know nothing. It is all speculation and your opinion is fine to have and sharing it is why we are here, but your ridiculous ventures into another avenues and comments is what makes you so disliked among your peers.
    Ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    I'm tempted to point out that this is just not owning up to reality, but let's just drop it.

Look guys, may I respectfully ask that the gang mentality ease off a bit? I can empathize with Xix trying to integrate into "the club", without losing his competitive spirit, yet getting more and more wound up as the gang descends time and time again. If you can "joke" about gun-toting NBAers, surely you can laugh off the odd comment from a guy bringing a little life/spirit to this here old boys club. Xixak has many good points and perspectives, so what's the big deal if he's a little in-your-face now and then. If it's too much, 1 mod making the point is enough. A mob isn't needed. I'm tired and had a few drinks, so pardon me if I'm a bit out of line, but that's my 2 cents.

p00ka, you don't notice what Axel points out below about Xixak?

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep the discussion related to the thread topic (or at least one of the semi-related sidebars), as opposed to discussing fellow posters. All of us on here only know what we think we know, at least until we successfully plant that RR bug in MU's office. Lets keep it respectful, regardless how strongly we may agree or disagree with any particular post/opinion.

12. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Please keep the discussion related to the thread topic (or at least one of the semi-related sidebars), as opposed to discussing fellow posters. All of us on here only know what we think we know, at least until we successfully plant that RR bug in MU's office. Lets keep it respectful, regardless how strongly we may agree or disagree with any particular post/opinion.

In the words of fat bastard this thread is "a vicious cycle"
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    p00ka, you don't notice what Axel points out below about Xixak?
    What can I say? Late night, alcohol, and the jump-in-for-the underdog in my DNA took over. I've seen another post or two today, that I removed it

15. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah man cause Sessions and a lottery pick + Biyombo have the same value.
    Did you read the whole thing? You start with the high bid (replacing Sessions with Biyombo and Detroit's pick) and then you let yourself "get bargained down" to Gordon/Blazers pick and one of either Biyombo or the Detroit pick, plus Sessions if necessary to make the money work. (In that case probably we send over DJ Augustin so Charlotte doesn't end up down a point guard.)

My point is: the Blazers pick plus the two expirings of Sessions/Gordon aren't fair value for Rudy. Gordon + Biyombo + Blazers pick is fair; Gordon + Sessions + the two protected picks is reasonably fair. In either case you're taking expirings and two prospects (Biyombo and/or 2014 draft picks) for Rudy - that's about on par with what we sent Memphis (granted, we only sent a second-rounder, but we also sent Jose and he had more value than Gordon - which Memphis proved by promptly flipping him to Detroit).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tempering Expectations: The hype surrounding Kansas stud recruit Andrew Wiggins has started to reach levels that are only going to disappoint fans expecting greatness the moment the ball is rolled out.

There is no doubting that Wiggins is one of the best NBA prospects to come along in a while, but the belief that the 6’8 Wiggins could be the next transcending player like Miami HEAT mega star LeBron James was in 2003 is a little unfair to Wiggins and maybe a little unrealistic in concept.

Kansas head coach Bill Self has been trying to lower the bar a little and has downplayed some of the Wiggins comparisons.

“He weighs 200 pounds. He’s not LeBron,” Self said to Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis.

Self has spent a lot of time around Wiggins and knows all too well how special of a talent the young man is, but also understands his limitations as a player too.

“Andrew will be the best athlete I’ve ever been around,” Self said. “He’s a 6’8 guard. His stroke has gotten better. The biggest thing with me and him is making sure he’s plugged into every possession. When he was in high school, he could really turn it on but he hasn’t been able to do it for an entire game. That’s what worries me a little bit.”

Wiggins looks to headline a 2014 draft class that could feature as many as eight franchise changing players.

The top 10 in 2014 looks something like this:

1. Andrew Wiggins – 6’8 197lb – Small Forward (Kansas)

2. Julius Randle – 6’9 248lb – Power Forward (Kentucky)

3. Dante Exum – 6’6 188lb – Point Guard (Australia)

4. Marcus Smart – 6’4 200lb – Point Guard (Oklahoma State)

5. Jabari Parker – 6’8 241lb – Power Forward (Duke)

6. Aaron Gordon – 6’9 212lb – Power Forward (Arizona)

7. Andrew Harrison – 6’5 207lb – Point Guard (Kentucky)

8. Montrezel Harrell – 6’8 230lb – Power Forward (Louisville)

9. Joel Embiid – 7’0 240lb – Center – (Kansas)

10. Mario Hezonja – 6’6 200lb – Shooting Guard – (Barcelona)
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-mor...tions-to-watch

It would not be the first time to see a player drop because expectations of people are not met despite a terrific performance.

Durant had 26ppg/11reb on 47/40/81 shooting and people still doubted him and he went #2.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

It would not be the first time to see a player drop because expectations of people are not met despite a terrific performance.

Durant had 26ppg/11reb on 47/40/81 shooting and people still doubted him and he went #2.
    I don't think it's so much that people doubted him.

Probably a combination of the Blazers having a dynamic wing already, and the perception that a dominant center (Oden potentially at the time) > a wing player.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's so much that people doubted him.

Probably a combination of the Blazers having a dynamic wing already, and the perception that a dominant center (Oden potentially at the time) > a wing player.
    Lots of too skinny and weak comments for him around draft and even first two years on league

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of too skinny and weak comments for him around draft and even first two years on league
    I still don't see how he even had a "drop" in the draft like you said. Oden was pretty much a lock to go #1.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if teams would rank centers that have talent/upside higher than a wing or guard. Would Wiggins be ranked #1 if Howard was in his draft class, or Oden, or Okafor, or anyone else that could turn into a beast?

Drummond fell to 9th despite his build or his upside. Noels fell to 6th (he has an ACL tear but would that have been a concern a decade ago). I bet the Oden/Durant draft has completely altered the way franchises go into a draft now a days.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see how he even had a "drop" in the draft like you said. Oden was pretty much a lock to go #1.
    I didn't say KD dropped.

Two different ideas in two different paragraphs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I wonder if teams would rank centers that have talent/upside higher than a wing or guard. Would Wiggins be ranked #1 if Howard was in his draft class, or Oden, or Okafor, or anyone else that could turn into a beast?

Drummond fell to 9th despite his build or his upside. Noels fell to 6th (he has an ACL tear but would that have been a concern a decade ago). I bet the Oden/Durant draft has completely altered the way franchises go into a draft now a days.
    I totally agree. I think teams used to put a premium on equally talented bigs, but I believe the Oden/Durant debacle reinforced the shifting positional importance in the NBA. I was personally shocked that Durant went #2, simply because of the changing trends. I don't think teams would make that same decision today, given that sort of choice.

24. Like Axel liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say KD dropped.

Two different ideas in two different paragraphs.

The way I read that was, "KD dropped to the #2 pick despite excellent numbers because there were doubts about him."

If you didn't mean it like that then my mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I read that was, "KD dropped to the #2 pick despite excellent numbers because there were doubts about him."

If you didn't mean it like that then my mistake.
    Yeah that is a reasonable. I didn't do a good job explaining.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information