Rajon Rondo deal in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    No. KG didn't shoot threes and they won a chip. Amir and JV need to knock down their midrange looks and hopefully Gay and DeMar can improve on their threes. Otherwise Gay or Demar or both will be traded...
    They had Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on the wings... they didn't need their 4 to hit 3s.

Comment

I think he might be thinking of someone like K. Love... but I still don't like it... it's not 2K here
      Or a guy like Ryan Anderson maybe?

Kevin Love isn't the only stretch 4 in the league that actually rebounds

Comment

I love people on these threads some times. Sure, Id take Rondo (who btw would be our best player day one after joining the team), but I want to dump a historically bad contract in Fields and not trade a first rounder. Not happening people.

A few things:
        - If we trade for Rondo, we are clearly not rebuilding .. so you should be less fussed about draft picks. That doesnt mean throw them away for no reason .. but you need to pick your path .. and a Rondo trade clearly picks the "win now path". By definition, that is likely to sacrifice the future
        - KL has nominal value (solid PG on reasonable contract .. but only signed through this year, so not a LT asset), LF has massively negative value. As a result, to get a deal done that includes those players, you will either have to take back negative value (Gerald Wallace?) or include some real value. Ross has some value, so thats a start .. but a 1st round pick would be a necessity. Maybe you could avoid a 2014 1st rounder .. but a first rounder for sure.
        - The other option would be someone like DD. Not sure how Boston would view him and his contract, but perhaps if you included him and took back Wallace, you could avoid a punitive draft pick.

As to whether Id do this deal .. Im not sure. Im in the tanking camp where I would be trading at least one of RG or DD for whatever we can get and going all in on the 2014 draft pick + Val + Ross + whatever else if left on the roster.

BUT, if we arent taking this path and we are trying to cobble together a winner with this team .. then a Rondo deal is a hell of a lot better than bits and pieces to finish 8th at best from my perspective .. even if it costs us a 1st rounder.

Comment

No. KG didn't shoot threes and they won a chip. Amir and JV need to knock down their midrange looks and hopefully Gay and DeMar can improve on their threes. Otherwise Gay or Demar or both will be traded...
          Ya - i think this is the key with or without Rondo. Bottom line is that your 2/3 position HAVE to give you some three point shooting. Some of it can come from Ross / Novak off the bench .. but one way or the other, if both of DD/RG cant shoot threes to some degree, this isnt going to be a successful team. Obviously this would be even more magnified if the PG couldnt shoot either.
          I dont think the goal should be a stretch 4 (hey, if Ryan Anderson fell into our lap, Id take it, dont get me wrong) - but rather a 2 or 3 that can actually shoot 3s and gets major minutes. Im hoping that can be Ross ... but we will see

Comment

First, I don't see him as being injury prone. It's not like he has a body made out of glass (Oden type), he just had some real injuries, that can happen to anybody accidentaly in basketball... and he's tough (played with that broken arm or whatever...)

Second, he is one of the best passers, who really creates shots for others. There are very few point guards or overall players like that in the league - Nash, CP3, LeBron come to mind... and maybe another 2-3 players in the entire league! Other PGs just make the obvious situational passes and get their assists mostly by virtue of playing a lot of minutes alone.

Third, he is REALLY elite when it comes to defending this position.

I'd give away the package mentioned in this "rumor" in a heartbeat for Rondo.

Oh, and I think Rondo would turn JV into an all-star like right away, considering how active JV is on those pick n' rolls and all...
            In the highest, most flamboyant, gay voice anyone can say it in, you "naaaaailed it"!

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              Just for fun lets look at the proposed deal. Would you do it? I think most of us would depending on the picks going out. Here's what would work for me.

To Raptors:
              Rajon Rondo

To Celtics:
              Lowry
              Ross
              Fields
              Knicks 2016 1st rounder
              Future 2nd round pick

This would be an amazing way to turn the haul we got for Bargs into Rondo. I'd imagine Boston would want us to add another 1st round pick to this deal, but with Rondo being hurt it's the perfect time to offer a slight low-ball like this. Being able to shed Fields deal is just icing on the cake. Being realistic I feel like Boston would rather just keep Rondo than accept a deal like this.
              The Celtics are clearly not doing this for Ross and Lowry. Those picks would be the key for them. So a Knicks 2016 first won't cut it. 2014 Raptors + 2016 Raptors or Knicks, that might be closer.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                The Celtics are clearly not doing this for Ross and Lowry. Those picks would be the key for them. So a Knicks 2016 first won't cut it. 2014 Raptors + 2016 Raptors or Knicks, that might be closer.
                We can't trade our 2014 pick unless we get another one from somewhere else.

Maybe 2015 Raptors and 2016 Knicks/Nuggets. No way does Boston take on Fields when they already have a couple bad contracts on their team. If they did they'd probably ask us to take Wallace's longer and more crippling deal.

Comment

What if Rondo pulls an Alonzo Mourning?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    Really? Even I don't troll that hard..
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Celtics fans would feel satisfaction for getting 3 players, couple draft picks for injury prone.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        I think you're right, they would want multiple 1st round picks, including our 2014, which I said as much in my post. I just think if there was ever a time to make a low ball offer for Rondo, it's now while he is injured and there is some uncertainty about how well he will play when he comes back. Still a pipe dream but it's the slow part of the offseason so we need something to talk about.

Comment

We kill him.
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                            We kill him.
                            Ouch.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Ouch.
                              That's what Rondo would say
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I would do this trade in an instant!

Comment

Working...
                                X