Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Nash, Wiggins and Canadian National Team

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I feel like an idiot for forgetting about Nicholson. But, Kris Joseph I think is out of the NBA for good, just like I don't think Kabongo will ever make it. My worry about this team is that it never has really overachieved, we can fall below the likes of Puerto Rico, DR and Venezuela again instead of competing with Brazil and Argentina where we belong. I hope this year is different, but I'm still skeptical.
    I'm still a bit nervous too since we don't quite have our A-squad yet (Wiggins, Bennett, Olynyk would be on that), but this is certainly the most talented team we've ever fielded in my opinion. By the 2016 Olympics we should be considered a top 5 program and one of the favorites to medal. A far cry from the utter crap we've been fielding since Nash stopped competing for Team Canada.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I'm still a bit nervous too since we don't quite have our A-squad yet (Wiggins, Bennett, Olynyk would be on that), but this is certainly the most talented team we've ever fielded in my opinion. By the 2016 Olympics we should be considered a top 5 program and one of the favorites to medal. A far cry from the utter crap we've been fielding since Nash stopped competing for Team Canada.
    "Utter crap" is pretty harsh for all those pro players that gave up their summers to play in FIBA tournaments where they sometimes played 8 games in 9 days. Players like Joel Anthony, Jessie Young, Carl English, Jermaine Anderson, Levon Kendall, Andy Rautins and the Dornekamp brothers just to name a few.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    "Utter crap" is pretty harsh for all those pro players that gave up their summers to play in FIBA tournaments where they sometimes played 8 games in 9 days. Players like Joel Anthony, Jessie Young, Carl English, Jermaine Anderson, Levon Kendall, Andy Rautins and the Dornekamp brothers just to name a few.
    Glad to see that someone else appreciates the effort of the guys that were playing. Sure the results were nto what we wanted, but we represented with class and I know the guys who were heavily involved in the program over the last decade will give back. I am excited for the new generation, but there are still some vets that need to be there to pass the torch.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The National team is playing Jamaica twice this week on Thursday and Saturday at 7 pm at Mattamy Athletic Centre (the old Maple Leaf Gardens?).

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Glad to see that someone else appreciates the effort of the guys that were playing. Sure the results were nto what we wanted, but we represented with class and I know the guys who were heavily involved in the program over the last decade will give back. I am excited for the new generation, but there are still some vets that need to be there to pass the torch.
    Should I give them a cookie for doing their best? Every player on every international team makes those same sacrifices, the Canadian players didn't do anything special. Fact is Team Canada has been horrendous since Nash left. I could have phrased it more nice (the team has been lackluster), but I also could have phrased it more mean (the team has been an embarrassment to Canada).

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I'm still a bit nervous too since we don't quite have our A-squad yet (Wiggins, Bennett, Olynyk would be on that), but this is certainly the most talented team we've ever fielded in my opinion. By the 2016 Olympics we should be considered a top 5 program and one of the favorites to medal. A far cry from the utter crap we've been fielding since Nash stopped competing for Team Canada.
    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    "Utter crap" is pretty harsh for all those pro players that gave up their summers to play in FIBA tournaments where they sometimes played 8 games in 9 days. Players like Joel Anthony, Jessie Young, Carl English, Jermaine Anderson, Levon Kendall, Andy Rautins and the Dornekamp brothers just to name a few.
    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Glad to see that someone else appreciates the effort of the guys that were playing. Sure the results were nto what we wanted, but we represented with class and I know the guys who were heavily involved in the program over the last decade will give back. I am excited for the new generation, but there are still some vets that need to be there to pass the torch.
    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Should I give them a cookie for doing their best? Every player on every international team makes those same sacrifices, the Canadian players didn't do anything special. Fact is Team Canada has been horrendous since Nash left. I could have phrased it more nice (the team has been lackluster), but I also could have phrased it more mean (the team has been an embarrassment to Canada).
    As someone who speaks of these lads who put the maple leaf on, and work their tails off for multiple summers, as "utter crap" and "an embarrassment to Canada", as if they owe you something more personally, I hope you offer yourself up to CANADA as something we can trumpet as your great contribution to the country's pride. What is that?

  7. Like WJF, Vimsanity, stretch, Puffer, NoPropsneeded liked this post
  8. #27
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    As someone who speaks of these lads who put the maple leaf on, and work their tails off for multiple summers, as "utter crap" and "an embarrassment to Canada", as if they owe you something more personally, I hope you offer yourself up to CANADA as something we can trumpet as your great contribution to the country's pride. What is that?
    Amen.

  9. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You know what, you don't even have to offer yourself up. Have you donated even $50 to the cause of improved basketball for the national team? Given up even one meal at the Keg or Milestones, or Montanas, or even Swiss Chalet? If not, you haven't bought the right to talk down anybody who has given up their summer or weekend or even 12 hours working for the national squad.

    Stupid prick.

  10. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
  11. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    You know what, you don't even have to offer yourself up. Have you donated even $50 to the cause of improved basketball for the national team? Given up even one meal at the Keg or Milestones, or Montanas, or even Swiss Chalet? If not, you haven't bought the right to talk down anybody who has given up their summer or weekend or even 12 hours working for the national squad.

    Stupid prick.
    I'm with big Puff on this one. No need to be such a dick, these guys put in time and effort to rep our Country
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  12. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We haven't been "utter crap" either. We haven't been great, good or maybe not even average. But " utter crap" is untrue.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  13. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh my my, the patriotism is reaching fascist levels in here. If only everyone were so blindly celebratory of the Raptors we wouldn't have to hear tanking arguments every other day.

    Sorry for pushing buttons guys, I guess criticizing the national team is off limits since the guys put in time and effort.....

  14. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Oh my my, the patriotism is reaching fascist levels in here. If only everyone were so blindly celebratory of the Raptors we wouldn't have to hear tanking arguments every other day.

    Sorry for pushing buttons guys, I guess criticizing the national team is off limits since the guys put in time and effort.....
    You are missing the point. The national team players of the past were giving their best in international play (Samuel Dalembert excepted), basically donating their professional services, risking injury, adding additional wear and tear to their joints when they could be recuperating in the off season, mostly playing with very little notice at home often in hostile environments abroad.

    There hasn't been any strident flag waving here on this thread, just some appreciation for those that heard the calling to be a national team member, win or lose.

  15. Like WJF liked this post
  16. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    You are missing the point. The national team players of the past were giving their best in international play (Samuel Dalembert excepted), basically donating their professional services, risking injury, adding additional wear and tear to their joints when they could be recuperating in the off season, mostly playing with very little notice at home often in hostile environments abroad.

    There hasn't been any strident flag waving here on this thread, just some appreciation for those that heard the calling to be a national team member, win or lose.
    This!

  17. Like Puffer liked this post
  18. #34
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I see zero reason that Nash shouldn't just suit up to help qualify this team, like it or not, even old he is our nations premier Point Guard.

  19. Like Puffer liked this post
  20. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I see zero reason that Nash shouldn't just suit up to help qualify this team, like it or not, even old he is our nations premier Point Guard.
    I am feel pretty good about this group taking home a medal and advancing.

  21. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Oh my my, the patriotism is reaching fascist levels in here. If only everyone were so blindly celebratory of the Raptors we wouldn't have to hear tanking arguments every other day.

    Sorry for pushing buttons guys, I guess criticizing the national team is off limits since the guys put in time and effort.....
    Aside from putting careers on the line, those guys worked hard enough on their game, for many years, to be among the best in the country at playing it. You go way beyond "criticism" when you speak of them as "utter crap" and "an embarrassment to Canada". Again, wtf have you done to be among the top 15 in the country, at anything, that you feel you have the right to call them an embarrassment to their country?

  22. #37
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I respect that...but would you feel better with Nash suiting up? Likely.

    Don't get me wrong, I like Nash, one of my all time favs, but he still has yet to convince me there is any real reason he shouldn't be suiting up. Sitting out here and there i get....but not every year. when the team is close, and one great player could make a huge difference.... he should be playing, not wearing a suit.

  23. #38
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    Aside from putting careers on the line, those guys worked hard enough on their game, for many years, to be among the best in the country at playing it. You go way beyond "criticism" when you speak of them as "utter crap" and "an embarrassment to Canada". Again, wtf have you done to be among the top 15 in the country, at anything, that you feel you have the right to call them an embarrassment to their country?
    or better yet, tell them that to their face.

  24. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dude Nash ain't playing. He's like 40. His priority is not being injured. Plus he's put his time in and then some.

    I for one am quite excited about some solid basketball to watch in the offseason, with the most promising Canadian basketball team yet. And the best is yet to come.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  25. #40
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the newsflash.

    It'd be a lot cooler if he did!!!


  26. Like Joey, Dr. James Naismith liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •