Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I hope he see this. The more motivation.
    yeah same here. as a #1 option rudy will average 22+ points a game next year book it!
    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

At least we're not paying this guy a third of the salary cap.

In all seriousness, he's probably not even overrated, mainly because I don't think he's rated that highly in NBA circles. It wasn't a well kept secret that the Grizzlies were looking to basically give him away, and even then there were a lot of teams that wouldn't bite. He's one of the least popular players with the analytics crowd too.
      Last edited by Fully; Mon Aug 5, 2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
        Overrated wtf?

He's overpaid, that's for sure, but not overrated.
        That's what I was going to say.

Actually people tend to UNDERRATE players that are overpaid as a result of them making a disproportionate amount of cash to their play on the court.

If Gay can get back to his typical career efficiency (54%TS 45-35-80) he will be underrated.

Comment

Overpaid not overrated.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I, for one, believe that Rudy will shine this year. Im pretty sure players are aware of articles that are written about them. And hopefully he's motivated enoung to silence his critics. He was motivated to get his eyes fixed, and i read somewhere he has a phobia or something about his eyes, thats why he refused to wear the glasses. I guess thats a start right?! Maybe his game comes after that. But, then again, im always optimistic.

Comment

in before OPTION YEAR

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                I don't think there's any questioning Rudy's Talent level. I think everyone would agree that Rudy could be elite, at least in a Carmelo kind of way. Its just for whatever reason (bad eyes..?) he hasn't been able to quite get there. Here's hoping this is the year, I guess. It kinda needs to be...
                Vision doesn't equal shot selection

Comment

Now that he's a Raptor he's overrated

Overpaid for sure-but hopefully were in for a massive year for RG.

Comment

Overpaid, yes, massively. But not overrated. These fools have been saying that Memphis is much better w/o him, and look what happened in the playoffs vs the spurs.

Comment

I don't think these people know the difference between overpaid and overrated. Gay is overpaid but not overrated. Overrated means anything that is given way too much hype. Every NBA fan is aware of his efficiency criticisms, his lack of a consistent three point shot and his salary. The fact that Pistons really thought we would trade Gay for Stuckey, Villanueva and no picks means that there isn't that much hype over him, so they're not stupid for saying he's overrated. If Gay was overrated, we would be getting a shit ton of trade offers for him. Not to mention that no one, outside of Toronto Raptors fans, ever write an article about him, so he's not getting more hype than he deserves. He's not overrated. He's overpaid! Something completely different. He might have been overrated when he got paid and signed his enormous contact, but as of right now, he's perfectly rated as his hype has gone down over the years. Only Raptors fan overrate him at times, but to the NBA he's not overrated in general!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                        I don't think these people know the difference between overpaid and overrated. Gay is overpaid but not overrated. Overrated means anything that is given way too much hype. Every NBA fan is aware of his efficiency criticisms, his lack of a consistent three point shot and his salary. The fact that Pistons really thought we would trade Gay for Stuckey, Villanueva and no picks means that there isn't that much hype over him, so they're not stupid for saying he's overrated. If Gay was overrated, we would be getting a shit ton of trade offers for him. Not to mention that no one, outside of Toronto Raptors fans, ever write an article about him, so he's not getting more hype than he deserves. He's not overrated. He's overpaid! Something completely different. He might have been overrated when he got paid and signed his enormous contact, but as of right now, he's perfectly rated as his hype has gone down over the years. Only Raptors fan overrate him at times, but to the NBA he's not overrated in general!
                        Pretty much this. There are quite a few great players like Rudy Gay who are overpaid but certainly not overrated.

DeMar DeRozan
                        Joe Johnson
                        Amar'e Stoudemire (when healthy... which is never lol)
                        Carlos Boozer
                        Nene
                        Al Jefferson
                        Javale McGee
                        Kobe Bryant (although Lakers fans do overrate him)
                        Jeremy Lin
                        Eric Gordon

That's just to name a few.

Comment

Since Josh Smith is now a small forward, he's the most overrated.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                            Overpaid, yes, massively. But not overrated. These fools have been saying that Memphis is much better w/o him, and look what happened in the playoffs vs the spurs.
                            This is one thing I don't understand. Memphis might be better off FINANCIALLY without Gay, but they aren't better off as a team and it showed in the playoffs.

I mean they didn't really beat anyone. They beat LAC after losing the first 2 games largely because Blake Griffin got hurt, at which point it was basically CP3 vs. the Grizzlies defense. OKC was also missing their second best player and one of the top 10 players in the league in Westbrook.

When they finally played a strong, healthy team in the Spurs they got throttled. Primarily because they had nobody who could actually create a shot for themselves (Z-Bo did this in 2011 because his jumpers were falling like he was Kevin Durant, but it didn't work out this year). Marc Gasol only shot 39% from the field in the WCF, that is atrocious regardless of position but especially for a bigman. Z-Bo shot 30% and Mike Conley was at 38%. Why? Stat-heads love to emphasize shooting 3s and scoring inside over the mid-range game, but the problem with that is that teams don't give you a ton of good looks from those areas during the playoffs. If your team can't take advantage of the in-between game and score from mid-range, isos or the high post you are going to get KILLED against a good defense in the playoffs. Period end of story, not up for debate.

Normally Gay would have been taking and making those shots at a higher clip than the Grizzlies' "Big 3" which definitely would've helped them. Instead those shots were re-distributed to Gasol-Conley-ZBo which resulted in all three of them becoming incredibly inefficient. Basketball isn't all stats. You can't just replace a high usage mediocre efficiency guy with a low usage high efficiency guy and expect your team to become more efficient. Because those shots are going to have to be redistributed somewhere, and they're likely going to go to guys that can't make them at all.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Since Josh Smith is now a small forward, he's the most overrated.
                              How is Josh Smith overrated? If anything he's one of the more underrated players in the NBA.

He's never made the all-star team and most people just label him as an inefficient chucker.

This is a guy that has averaged 15-8-3 with a 52% TS percentage and a PER of 18 for his career. He is also one of the best two-way players in basketball along with LBJ, Paul George, Dwight etc and the only person more versatile than him as a defender is LeBron.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Overrated wtf?

He's overpaid, that's for sure, but not overrated.
                                On point.

Comment

Working...
                                X