Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xixak wrote: View Post
    What on earth... There were rumors the Nets would max him all offseason, the Clippers were also in that conversation. And they WOULD have considering they both struck out on every other major FA.

In an offseason where a 29 year old Joe Johnson (21ppg, 4.9apg, 4.6apg on 46-37-82 shooting) got 6yr/$120M. You think a 23 year old Rudy Gay (19.6ppg, 1.9apg, 5.9rpg on 47-33-75 shooting) wouldn't have gotten 5yr/$82M from some other team? What planet do you live on?
    No other team could offer him 5/82 according to the CBA, nothing to debate here...

Relax btw, and breathe. This isn't a drama theater.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
      The Grizzlies offered him the max deal in the very first hour of free agency and he accepted. The Nets weren't courting him all offseason, nor were the Clippers. They never got the chance.

I'm pretty sure he was the very first free agent that year to sign. I remember them being worried that he'd get a front loaded offer from someone else that would really screw over their cap situation so they proactively maxed him out.
      I meant to say all season not offseason my mistake.

Comment

I meant to say all season not offseason my mistake.
        Isn't it against the "rules" for teams to be courting players on other teams during the season?

Comment

• seiz wrote: View Post
          Isn't it against the "rules" for teams to be courting players on other teams during the season?
          I didn't say they were courting him?

Comment

I didn't say they were courting him?
            Why are you asking him?
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              Why are you asking him?
              Idk man.

Comment

Idk man.
                Well can you at least point me in the direction of who doez?
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Well can you at least point me in the direction of who doez?
                  Look up.

Comment

Look up.
                    He asked you a question and you answered him with a question. Are you trying to confuse the shit out of him?

Comment

He asked you a question and you answered him with a question. Are you trying to confuse the shit out of him?
                      No

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I'm not sure I would call George a superstar - yet. But if there is any current wing player poised to ascend to that level it is Paul George.

First of all, he just turned 23. So last season he played it at 22 years of age. For all those talking about DeRozan being just 23 with room to improve, well, he'll be 24 in a couple of weeks. A little ironic and hypocritical.

Secondly, he played with/behind an all-star until this last season where Granger missed essentially the whole season. Last season he just got the opportunity to be the go to perimeter player.

Thirdly, he is a multi-dimensional. He defends, shoots, creates, rebounds. If he was a pocket knife he'd be Swiss Army.

Fourthly, every year he has been in the league, he has been in the playoffs. Not too shabby.

Fifthly, he was getting superstar praise during the playoffs because he was putting up near superstar numbers as a 22 year old vs. Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James in the 2nd round and Conference Finals.

Sixthly, any comparison to DeRozan is beyond stupidity in my opinion. Never mind the fact George is younger, more talented, with more of an impact on the game - including the other side. But lets just focus on the topic of efficiency. George had an eFG of 49.1% compared to DeRozan's 45.9%.

If only Raptor players were critiqued as harshly as a bonafide superstar in the making.... or at the very least an all-star.
                        Personal pet peeve, here: I just don't get all the Paul George-is-the-next-NBA-superstar hype. They say he has improved steadily every year, but his FG% has been dropping sharply every season down to horrid .419%. His PER has improved, uh, to just slightly above league average. He has a very good defensive rating, yes, but just like Rudy Gay & Memphis, it's hard to separate the individual defensive contribution from the team D-rating which is also very good. The whole Pacers starting unit has a very good defensive rating. He's a 'nice' all around player for sure, but superstar? He seems to be getting the Jermaine O'Neal treatment. Above average D, inefficient chucker on O being perceived as a 'pseudo star'. As a max player, he will be grossly overpaid.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Personal pet peeve, here: I just don't get all the Paul George-is-the-next-NBA-superstar hype. They say he has improved steadily every year, but his FG% has been dropping sharply every season down to horrid .419%. His PER has improved, uh, to just slightly above league average. He has a very good defensive rating, yes, but just like Rudy Gay & Memphis, it's hard to separate the individual defensive contribution from the team D-rating which is also very good. The whole Pacers starting unit has a very good defensive rating. He's a 'nice' all around player for sure, but superstar? He seems to be getting the Jermaine O'Neal treatment. Above average D, inefficient chucker on O being perceived as a 'pseudo star'.As a max player, he will be grossly overpaid.
                          YUUUUUUP! The guy is one of the most overrated players in the NBA right now.

- Shoots poorly from everywhere except the corner 3 and right under the rim
                          http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/pl.../2012-2013-REG

- Has a slightly above average PER at 16.8. Find me a real superstar whose PER is that low.

- Does a terrible job of getting to the free throw line considering his physical tools and how much he handles the ball. (3.5 attempts per game)

- Turns the ball over at an alarmingly high rate. 2.9 turnovers to 4.1 assists.

I'd really like to know how George is better than Deng in his 3rd season (18.8ppg, 7.1rpg on 51.7% shooting) or Rudy Gay in his 3rd season (18.9ppg, 5.5rpg on 45.3% shooting) tbh.

Comment

Personal pet peeve, here: I just don't get all the Paul George-is-the-next-NBA-superstar hype. They say he has improved steadily every year, but his FG% has been dropping sharply every season down to horrid .419%. His PER has improved, uh, to just slightly above league average. He has a very good defensive rating, yes, but just like Rudy Gay & Memphis, it's hard to separate the individual defensive contribution from the team D-rating which is also very good. The whole Pacers starting unit has a very good defensive rating. He's a 'nice' all around player for sure, but superstar? He seems to be getting the Jermaine O'Neal treatment. Above average D, inefficient chucker on O being perceived as a 'pseudo star'. As a max player, he will be grossly overpaid.
                            Next year will define his 'status'.

I'm not ready to call him a superstar.

He is a definite all-star.

I think we'll know in less than a year what he is.

Comment

In my opinion what defines a superstar/elite player is what they do in the playoffs. George went mano-a-mano with James in the playoffs (averaging 19/7/5) and that is why people talk so highly of him. Similarly Curry in GSW had an outstanding playoffs and that is why he is being considered as 'elite'.

The fact that George is only 23 is what is also separating him from the pack.. people want elite players and George is on the cusp of getting there.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                In my opinion what defines a superstar/elite player is what they do in the playoffs. George went mano-a-mano with James in the playoffs (averaging 19/7/5) and that is why people talk so highly of him. Similarly Curry in GSW had an outstanding playoffs and that is why he is being considered as 'elite'.

The fact that George is only 23 is what is also separating him from the pack.. people want elite players and George is on the cusp of getting there.
                                Don't forget Carmelo.

Comment

Working...
                                X