No announcement yet.

Doug Smith Breaks Down the Raptors Sched...from his own viewpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually don't mind Doug Smith at all.. yes his opinions are odd at times but you get that from fellow posters at RR as well.. The thing about his blog though is that it's just that.. it's his blog. He can write about whatever he wants. He sometimes talks about the Raptors but he won't all the time. He looks at things from his perspective.

So when he talks about the schedule of course he will talk about how it impacts his life. He's a beat reporter and we get to read about the life of a beat reporter. And before Doug's blog we never really had an understanding of what a beat reporter does on a daily basis. If you don't care then you don't need to read it.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
      At this rate, Smith should fill the gaping hole of hate left by the absence of Bargnani..who wants to be the one to start the "Everything Douche Smith" thread?
      I'm partial to the name 'smug smith' myself. We should make a thread with his articles in it so we can all complain in the same place. Then we don't have to visit his blog site and get him hits

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
        I'm partial to the name 'smug smith' myself. We should make a thread with his articles in it so we can all complain in the same place. Then we don't have to visit his blog site and get him hits
        So long as you pay off any copyright infringement laws we may be breaking, count me in.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Way back when i worked at the bank one of the only websites i could visit was various newspapers, so i'd read the sports sections from a few of them and never understood how Doug Smith had a job. He was so negative even then, albeist less so, and even worse, never really had anything new to say outside of his displeasure with various players leaving.

His meltdown over alvin williams being released (as a player) was nothing short of incredible.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Though granted my opinion of him... he does sometimes have nuggets of inside info
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

[QUOTE=mikekosic;227793]First of all, I gotta give kudos to Raptors Repbulic for their own sched breakdown. That was concise, informative and easy to read. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Then I go to Shrug Smith's take on things...

An excerpt from Doug Smith’s Sports Blog:
              -
              No, I did not watch a second of the TV show announcing the release of the NBA schedule — Mighty Navy Tigers were rolling to convincing victory — but, yes, I did look at the Raptors sked.

READER COMMENT: Yes Shrug Smith, us regular readers of the Star’s basketball coverage are well aware that you are not a die-hard bball fan. So no need to constantly remind us what losers we are for tuning in to see the announcement of the NBA sched. And yes, Shrug, we also know that you refuse to cover Summer League games because you think there’s no value in it – yet tons of GMs go there to evaluate because there’s no value in it.

And liked what I saw quite a bit. Not ready to say it’s the best schedule ever because they all seem to meld together

READER COMMENT: Oh, okay, this is promising. Just like the teaser headline to this article said: “Doug Smith breaks down the sched” Nice…

Now, I didn’t break it down like some to figure out wins and losses and what have you. Grunts Of A Certain Vintage look for other things and here’s some good and some bad from this angle:

READER COMMENT: Cool, sock it to me. I’m ready for some expert bball analysis. I’m not being sarcastic, I really am…

The Good
              A one-game road trip to New York on Dec. 27 means home for the holidays and no Christmas Day flight.

READER COMMENT: Umm…okay, yeah, I guess that’s good for the team.

An easy one-gamer at Washington after the all-star break, an easy trip home from New Orleans.
              No long West Coast grind right out of the chute (six of the first nine on the road is a bit of pain) and only two trips to California.

Enough afternoon games to ease any deadline stress.

READER COMMENT: Wait a second…are you telling me this whole sham of a column on the NBA sched analysis is all about how the new schedule impacts YOU as a writer? Are you seriously whining and analyzing the schedule to see how it can or can’t make your job (which is the greatest job in the world by the way) easier and less of a hassle? Are you serious? Wow Star. Wow.

Two nights off in San Francisco (three if we stay the extra day before Phoenix game) and well spaced-out western journeys not packed with back-to-backs.

The Bad

The lone trip to New Orleans ends a back-to-back, no long visit to Frenchman Street.
              Yes, New Year’s Eve in Chicago might hold some promise but a Jan. 1 home game against Indiana kind of tempers that enthusiasm.

The Denver-Portland back-to-back that starts the Denver-Portland-Utah-Sacramento-Clippers odyssey has got a Lewis and Clark feel to early February.

Lots of December road games creates the potential for travel nightmares.
              Yet another Miami-Orlando back-to-back and that’s a long boring drive between the cities.
              So there you have it and here’s one for the TV folks to contemplate:
              Next summer, instead of the studio talking heads putting in time discussing whatever it was they discussed, I’d bring in half a dozen beat writers and let us play “my schedule’s worse than yours.”
              That’d be fun, no?

READER COMMENTS: Shrug man, seriously, you need to spend some time with some real regular Joe fans so you can lose this attitude where you are complaining about “my schedule’s worse than yours”. I know fans that have never gotten to see an NBA game, never mind get to fly across the U.S. to watch basketball for a living. This article right here highlights everything that is wrong with Shrug’s attitude. I wish Griff were a basketball fan…[/QUOTE

RR should boycott the Star until he goes. His attitude is that of a selfish brat. So many fans would love to be in his shoes....

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                He does view his work as drudgery it seems with pleasures now derived from panoramic vistas and road locations for a fancy meal and frosty pints. Was that his entire writeup?....no comments on ease/difficulty of schedule based on the teams being played?
                Then he will complain about the laundry service or the locals.

Comment

[QUOTE=psrs1;227980]
                  mikekosic wrote: View Post
                  First of all, I gotta give kudos to Raptors Repbulic for their own sched breakdown. That was concise, informative and easy to read. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Then I go to Shrug Smith's take on things...

An excerpt from Doug Smith’s Sports Blog:
                  -
                  No, I did not watch a second of the TV show announcing the release of the NBA schedule — Mighty Navy Tigers were rolling to convincing victory — but, yes, I did look at the Raptors sked.

READER COMMENT: Yes Shrug Smith, us regular readers of the Star’s basketball coverage are well aware that you are not a die-hard bball fan. So no need to constantly remind us what losers we are for tuning in to see the announcement of the NBA sched. And yes, Shrug, we also know that you refuse to cover Summer League games because you think there’s no value in it – yet tons of GMs go there to evaluate because there’s no value in it.

And liked what I saw quite a bit. Not ready to say it’s the best schedule ever because they all seem to meld together

READER COMMENT: Oh, okay, this is promising. Just like the teaser headline to this article said: “Doug Smith breaks down the sched” Nice…

Now, I didn’t break it down like some to figure out wins and losses and what have you. Grunts Of A Certain Vintage look for other things and here’s some good and some bad from this angle:

READER COMMENT: Cool, sock it to me. I’m ready for some expert bball analysis. I’m not being sarcastic, I really am…

The Good
                  A one-game road trip to New York on Dec. 27 means home for the holidays and no Christmas Day flight.

READER COMMENT: Umm…okay, yeah, I guess that’s good for the team.

An easy one-gamer at Washington after the all-star break, an easy trip home from New Orleans.
                  No long West Coast grind right out of the chute (six of the first nine on the road is a bit of pain) and only two trips to California.

Enough afternoon games to ease any deadline stress.

READER COMMENT: Wait a second…are you telling me this whole sham of a column on the NBA sched analysis is all about how the new schedule impacts YOU as a writer? Are you seriously whining and analyzing the schedule to see how it can or can’t make your job (which is the greatest job in the world by the way) easier and less of a hassle? Are you serious? Wow Star. Wow.

Two nights off in San Francisco (three if we stay the extra day before Phoenix game) and well spaced-out western journeys not packed with back-to-backs.

The Bad

The lone trip to New Orleans ends a back-to-back, no long visit to Frenchman Street.
                  Yes, New Year’s Eve in Chicago might hold some promise but a Jan. 1 home game against Indiana kind of tempers that enthusiasm.

The Denver-Portland back-to-back that starts the Denver-Portland-Utah-Sacramento-Clippers odyssey has got a Lewis and Clark feel to early February.

Lots of December road games creates the potential for travel nightmares.
                  Yet another Miami-Orlando back-to-back and that’s a long boring drive between the cities.
                  So there you have it and here’s one for the TV folks to contemplate:
                  Next summer, instead of the studio talking heads putting in time discussing whatever it was they discussed, I’d bring in half a dozen beat writers and let us play “my schedule’s worse than yours.”
                  That’d be fun, no?

READER COMMENTS: Shrug man, seriously, you need to spend some time with some real regular Joe fans so you can lose this attitude where you are complaining about “my schedule’s worse than yours”. I know fans that have never gotten to see an NBA game, never mind get to fly across the U.S. to watch basketball for a living. This article right here highlights everything that is wrong with Shrug’s attitude. I wish Griff were a basketball fan…[/QUOTE

RR should boycott the Star until he goes. His attitude is that of a selfish brat. So many fans would love to be in his shoes....
                  Far far faar from the best job in the world
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Dude, you have four posts and they are all about how terrible Doug Smith is....... we get it. Did he steal your lunch money? Doug Smith is an awful basketball writer. This is not news. Raps fans have been crapping on Doug for years and years. You are not revealing some hidden truth, here.

If you don't like Doug Smith then don't read him. It's not like he is breaking stories at the Star and you need to go there to get the updated news. The good news is that there are piles of Raptor websites (RR, RHQ, RealGM, DinoBlog, RapsBlog are just a few) and some really good Toronto basketball writers like Koreen, Chisolm, Wolstat, Grange, etc., where you can get more timely news and far better analysis.

By the way, every time you psot about Smith, people who wouldn't ever read his blog go click on the link. You are sending traffic to a guy you clearly don't like. Why? Doug, is that you?
                    Oh the irony.

If you don't like his threads...don't comment on them?

Comment

The Star is apparently introducing a paywall. Soon, the only ones capable of reading Smitty's drivel will be the ones who already pay for the print version.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        The Star is apparently introducing a paywall. Soon, the only ones capable of reading Smitty's drivel will be the ones who already pay for the print version.
                        Haha....or for the entirely desperate, delete the Star cookies and refresh the page (sites like these typically provide some free clicks before restriction).

Comment

Working...
                        X