Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jordan can still dunk. At 50. Unreal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jordan can still dunk. At 50. Unreal.

Crazy:

"I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Not impressed. Maybe in 5 years. 50 aint that old. Not lile hes some average joe either
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a video of dr J dunking at 63, so... meh

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is 6'7" but even so, obviously keeping himself in shape. I recall the sequence in the movie "Dream Team" when Jordan is taunting Magic during an inters-quad game about there being a "new sheriff in town." I wonder how competitively he still scrimmages, and who he scrimmages against?

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael Jordan's actual height in 1984 was 6'4 and a half" though he may be a little shorter now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...michael-jordan
    Last edited by stretch; Sun Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are there two threads of this?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Michael Jordan's actual height in 1984 was 6'4 and a half" though he may be a little shorter now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...michael-jordan
    From Wikipedia:
    Listed height 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
    Listed weight 216 lb (98 kg)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jordan

I'm 6' 4" myself and though I never saw him play live, I saw him next to a number of players that I did see live and also numerous broadcasters etc. that I also saw live. I would say he was an inch or two taller than me, just judging by relative heights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    Listed height 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)
    Listed weight 216 lb (98 kg)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jordan

I'm 6' 4" myself and though I never saw him play live, I saw him next to a number of players that I did see live and also numerous broadcasters etc. that I also saw live. I would say he was an inch or two taller than me, just judging by relative heights.
    Read this: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...michael-jordan

John Feinstein on Jordan's rookie year:

"The Portland Trail Blazers," I said rather loudly (I'd been drinking) will now go down in history not only as the team that took LaRue Martin with the No. 1 pick in the draft but as the team that took Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan." (I didn't kill the Houston Rockets for taking Hakeem Olajuwon because while I would have taken Jordan it was clear Olajuwon had the potential to be great. Bowie, it seemed to me, had the potential to be injured a lot).

Pat Riley gave me one of those condescending looks he's so good at. "You see," he said, "this is the problem with you media people. You just don't understand basketball. Did you know that when Jordan was measured he was only 6-4 and a half, not 6-6 the way he's listed?"

I looked back at Riley, trying to look condescending. "I don't care if he's FIVE four," I said. "He's the best college player I've ever seen. He's going to dominate your league."
    Last edited by stretch; Sun Aug 11th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to argue other than to say John Feinstein reporting on a conversation he had with Past Riley while he was drinking, back before Jordan had played a game professionally (thirty years ago). Feinstein also states he liked Jordan personally (so knew him and presumably had met him during his extensive coverage of college hoops in the early '80's) so I expect he would have noticed a 3" difference in height. Can't prove it, but I will believe, along with my own eye test seeing Jordan next to other players.

Stockton is listed as 6'1", Drexler as 6'7". Jordan is shorter than Drexler but closer to Clyde's height than John's, so I would guess somewhere between 6'5" and 6'6".

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

who cares how tall he is, he's dunking on a 4 foot kid...I LOVE IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan is shorter than Ray Allen who is listed at 6'5".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Jordan is shorter than Ray Allen who is listed at 6'5".

Pictures like that always look deceiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Pictures like that always look deceiving.
    Yes, Jordan is closer to the camera and still appears shorter than Allen.

Post Thanks / Like

They look pretty even to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Allen was measured at 192 cm or a shade under 6'4" for the 2000 Olympics.

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa...Men/index.html

Raptors Republic All-Star Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan is 6'6" I have seen the guy. Why is it important though? I guess for the dunking thing... hey man, at 50 thats pretty sweet. I'm turning 41 and I'm lucky if I can still grab the rim.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Jordan is 6'6" I have seen the guy. Why is it important though? I guess for the dunking thing... hey man, at 50 thats pretty sweet. I'm turning 41 and I'm lucky if I can still grab the rim.
    man... im a bit younger than you, and i'm lucky if I can get any air between my foot and the ground on jump shots... the best I can hope for is an aggressive tippy toe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Are you 6'6"? And I'm going to go out on a limb and presume you didn't make a career out of your ability to dunk among other things that Jordan could do quite well?

I was in mexico prolly 5 or 6 years ago and we were playing hoops and these four middle-aged guys came along and asked if they could play us. Which it was my neighbour,his son, my dad and I. These guys were just goofin around and going easy on us, they were like former varsity college players. Anyways, my neighbour was being guarded by this 5'5" 250lb 35-45 aged dude and he(my neighbour) goes for a shot beside the rim and the dude leaps probably 3 feet in the air and blocks him.

The thinner taller guys that were probably 6'4" dunked a few times.

So, I'm not really all that impressed if the greatest basketball player of all time can still dunk at 50.

To continue this story, I wondered what happened that these guys didn't go pro whether they just werent quite good enough or what. Then the following day I was by the pool and went to go take a leak and saw them snorting coke in the bathroom.
    Last edited by LBF; Mon Aug 12th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody who isn't impressed by this should tell us what their best jam is currently.

20. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Anybody who isn't impressed by this should tell us what their best jam is currently.
    for the record, i'm very impressed.

also, my best jam is peach marmalade

Thread Information