Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN 2013-14 East Standings [update: Post #86]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Just for fun and because it involves two teams in the "trying to snag a 7-8 seed" race that Toronto's in, Milwaukee is going to sign-and-trade Brandon Jennings to Detroit for Brandon Knight, Khris Middleton and Slava Kravtsov.

I'm honestly not sure if that makes Detroit any better or what.
    lol, Dumars swinging wildly for the fences again, and seems to be hoping he can re-create his luck with Sheed,,,, as in chasing dysfunctional talent. Milicic, CV/Gordon, Drummond (may have lucked out there), now Smith/Jennings.

I don't know how the hell these pieces fit together, but it may be interesting to watch if nothing else. Maybe Chauncey can help this bunch?

Raptors Republic Rookie MoscowRussia's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    It makes them worse on both ends. Good bye ball movement and hello Jennings and Smith ISO's
    Still see Raptors loosing a couple of close games to them.
    No new friends (c)

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
    Still see Raptors loosing a couple of close games to them.
    Even if it helps Detroit, it hurts Milwaukee. The whole thing is a wash as far as affecting the playoff chances.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

jdawgg

Is the raptors a sure lock for playoff this year? how much money u think i should put down on them lol . really

Alex Kennedy

I don’t think so. While they’ll have a shot in the Eastern Conference, there are an awful lot of teams fighting for the final three playoff spots in the East. I think we all agree that the top five will be the Heat, Pacers, Nets, Bulls and Knicks in some order. After that, you have the Raptors, Cavaliers, Wizards, Pistons and Hawks, not to mention wild cards like the Bucks and Celtics (assuming they aren’t tanking). Like I said, they’ll definitely have a shot, but I wouldn’t put any money down. I’m not that confident that they’ll make it.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...x-kennedy-8713
    That is reality right there. 7 teams competing for 3 spots - and I'm not as down on Charlotte as many so a possible 8th.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DG88 wrote: View Post
    Great post. Atlanta has been in the playoffs for how long now. We still have to prove that we're good enough to get in. Our team added who, Hansbrough, Augustine, Buycks and Novak. None of those players will make a huge difference in the W's column. Everything will hinge on our starting line up playing well enough. Right now the only starter we can say with some certainty that will play better is Jonas Valanciunas.
    I can agree that it was a good post but there's more to the Hawks than just replacing Smith with Millsap's offense. Frankly Smith is a facilitator, one of the most underrated passing forwards in the league and an defensive monster. It was also mentioned that they played without Zaza for a stretch, now they'll have him for zero games. I just don't see them being any better by adding an unknown in Shroeder (although there's definitely potential there) and a year-older Brand. Losing your best player when you're barely above .500 shouldn't help the rankings.

In any event I certainly agree that it's on us to climb the rankings, but to say that we're only as good as our record last year is saying that you didn't watch any raps games after the first 23.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPN 2013-14 East Standings

ESPN ranks us 10th in the East with a 3-49 record. Can anyone said rev the tank. Also Atlanta, Washington, Cleveland and Detroit are ranked above us.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/95...east-standings

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think the Raptors have a better roster than washington. so I guess all these 'experts' think washington will be better based on John Wall becoming a perennial super-star

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get all the Wizards hype. Apparently John Wall, a second-year Bradley Beal and a 30-year-old Nene will carry this team to a playoff spot.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I don't get all the Wizards hype. Apparently John Wall, a second-year Bradley Beal and a 30-year-old Nene will carry this team to a playoff spot.
    Numbers show that when they had a full roster last year, they played really, really well.

Post Thanks / Like

That said, the hype is a little hard to understand. But it could just be that Wall is that good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Numbers show that when they had a full roster last year, they played really, really well.
    Didn't they play well roughly around when the Raptors were playing well? As in, when the playoffs were set and nothing mattered anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I still think the Raptors have a better roster than washington. so I guess all these 'experts' think washington will be better based on John Wall becoming a perennial super-star
    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    That said, the hype is a little hard to understand. But it could just be that Wall is that good.
    Didn't they play well roughly around when the Raptors were playing well? As in, when the playoffs were set and nothing mattered anymore
    It might have something to do with the fact they started the year 4-28 (all games without Wall) and finished the year 25-25.... of course that was before a 2-7 #ThisIsHowYouGetBallsApril.

Toronto started the year 4-21 and finished 30-28.... of course that was before a 7-2 #AprilFoolsGoldRun.

So remove each teams final 9 games after a dreadful 32 and 25 game start and Washington is 23-18 while Toronto is 23-26.

I think Washington is a lock assuming health and Webster didn't pull a classic contract year heist.

**As always one can't look at this in a vacuum. Certainly strength of schedule plays in to things but I think 41 and 49 games gives you a pretty good indication of what you're working with**
    Tim Leiweke

13. Like Craiger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It might have something to do with the fact they started the year 4-28 (all games without Wall) and finished the year 25-25.... of course that was before a 2-7 #ThisIsHowYouGetBallsApril.

Toronto started the year 4-21 and finished 30-28.... of course that was before a 7-2 #AprilFoolsGoldRun.

So remove each teams final 9 games after a dreadful 32 and 25 game start and Washington is 23-18 while Toronto is 23-26.

I think Washington is a lock assuming health and Webster didn't pull a classic contract year heist.

**As always one can't look at this in a vacuum. Certainly strength of schedule plays in to things but I think 41 and 49 games gives you a pretty good indication of what you're working with**
    I think these numbers are a little too selective to decide whether a team is "a lock"

Neither of these teams were healthy last year, and they both had extreme ups and downs (mainly downs). I feel looking at the strength of the rosters (for the bubble teams in the east) will be more decisive for this seasons playoff race.

Mainly arguing this because I can't see John Wall carry this team into the playoffs since they were absolutely horrible without him. And I'm not saying the Raptors are better off, just that they should be in the same boat. I'd actually love to see John Wall tear shit up in the playoffs next year against the Heat

Post Thanks / Like

And 17-7 when they had Wall, Beal and Nene playing together. Again, small sample size, but worth noting.

Post Thanks / Like

I think these numbers are a little too selective to decide whether a team is "a lock"

Neither of these teams were healthy last year, and they both had extreme ups and downs (mainly downs). I feel looking at the strength of the rosters (for the bubble teams in the east) will be more decisive for this seasons playoff race.

Mainly arguing this because I can't see John Wall carry this team into the playoffs since they were absolutely horrible without him. And I'm not saying the Raptors are better off, just that they should be in the same boat. I'd actually love to see John Wall tear shit up in the playoffs next year against the Heat
    What is selective? It doesn't paint Toronto in a favourable light?

Half the season for Washington and over half the season is included for Toronto.

The first 25 and 32 games were thrown out due to injuries for both teams.

The last 9 games were thrown out when teams are either resting for playoffs or tanking for balls. Washington did what Toronto should have done in the 2011-12 season: took April off to increase odds of getting a top 3 pick.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Aug 12th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

What is selective? It doesn't paint Toronto in a favourable light?

Half the season for Washington and over half the season is included for Toronto.

The first 25 and 32 games were thrown out due to injuries for both teams.

The last 9 games were thrown out when teams are either resting for playoffs or tanking for balls.

I guess what I should have asked is if the 23-18 stretch is what has you and others sold on the wizards. In the end, it's still a small, selected sample size

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I should have asked is if the 23-18 stretch is what has you and others sold on the wizards. In the end, it's still a small, selected sample size
    It's not quite that small: I mean, it IS half a season (41 games). If we're going to make predictions that Toronto is a .500 team based on fewer games, and many have, then it's more reasonable to suggest that Washington is too.

19. Like Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie SoAwesome's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be an interesting playoff battle race.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If John Wall has such a great opportunity to blow everything up, I think the same should be given to Rudy Gay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    If John Wall has such a great opportunity to blow everything up, I think the same should be given to Rudy Gay.
    Really?

Gay has been in the league for 7 years and is 27 at start of season.

Wall has been in the league for 3 years and is 23 at start of season.

I don't think Wall is a superstar in the making nor do I think he is worth a max extension, however, if we are playing the potential card, I'm rolling with Wall.
    Tim Leiweke

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information