Help! (computer intellects welcome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! (computer intellects welcome)

I have high speed ultra with bell aliant, and have had no real problems until now. the internet seems to work fine and so does youtube, but for some reason the past few days have been terrible for downloading torrents. Right now I'm looking at a 1.3 KB/s download speed on a high seeded torrent. Im suspecting that my roommate has something to do with it (probably downloading or playing online games), but that hasn't slowed the download speed this much before. Any advice? Again, the only issue seems to be with downloading, which has always worked fine until recently

I don't even know what the problem would be with such a specific issue. The fact that only dwnlding is the prob. My best advice would be to just be patient

How long have you been having this problem?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hmmm. you should contact your ISP and ask em, not about torrents of course. But just tell em that your download speed it like super slow. It used to happen to me sometimes but it stopped ever since they replaced the modem, could be the same thing with you.

Comment

teksavvy.com

Comment

In no way i'm a computer wiz, but most of the time the simplest solutions are the most effective, try reinstalling utorrent first and if that doesnt work look for other solutions

Comment

Only a few days, but it's working fine right now. It really only seems to happen when other people are using it, but to a way bigger extent lately. Thanks for the feedback people

Comment

keep in mind youtube and general surfing are pretty damn light on your bandwidth..

there's a few things you can do though..

- are you running a firewall? make sure your torrent client is set up as an exception on your firewall
              - where are you downloading from? make sure the seeds/peers are healthy and legit...
              - change your port... ISPs usually throttle the default ports... change it to something over 10000
              - with a bit of knowledge and a bit of big ass balls... you can run a patch to increase your max TCP connections.. this will boost the fuck out of your speeds, but also leave you susceptible to virus multiplication.. so, seriously, don't look into it unless you got big balls

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                I have high speed ultra with bell aliant, and have had no real problems until now. the internet seems to work fine and so does youtube, but for some reason the past few days have been terrible for downloading torrents. Right now I'm looking at a 1.3 KB/s download speed on a high seeded torrent. Im suspecting that my roommate has something to do with it (probably downloading or playing online games), but that hasn't slowed the download speed this much before. Any advice? Again, the only issue seems to be with downloading, which has always worked fine until recently
                What program do you use? Check to see if somehow your settings have to capped at a certain speed? Based on what you're saying your interest speed is fine.

Alternatively you could install a different program. I've used utorrent for as long as I can remember.

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                keep in mind youtube and general surfing are pretty damn light on your bandwidth..
                Streaming video without stoppages requires more than 1.3 KB/s. A lot more. It's like his torrent program hopped into a time machine and when back to the year 1999. Wayne Gretzky is still playing hockey for a living and everyone associates "Tweet" the sound a bird makes.

Comment

ahhh 1999... when ICQ was still a thing... and you had to carry around your contact list on a floppy disk because they didn't save online for some reason...

those were the days

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    What program do you use? Check to see if somehow your settings have to capped at a certain speed? Based on what you're saying your interest speed is fine.

Alternatively you could install a different program. I've used utorrent for as long as I can remember.

Streaming video without stoppages requires more than 1.3 KB/s. A lot more. It's like his torrent program hopped into a time machine and when back to the year 1999. Wayne Gretzky is still playing hockey for a living and everyone associates "Tweet" the sound a bird makes.
                    I've always used utorrent and it's not capped off, I've checked everything and it works fine when nobody else is using the internet. I'm pretty sure my gaming roommate is somehow making it impossible to download things when he is gaming/downloading stuff

Comment

I've always used utorrent and it's not capped off, I've checked everything and it works fine when nobody else is using the internet. I'm pretty sure my gaming roommate is somehow making it impossible to download things when he is gaming/downloading stuff
                      is it your router or his? if you have access to the router settings, see if you have access to QoS. it will allow you to prioritize the devices connected to the router. or it might even allow you to throttle his bandwidth, so that there's always an acceptable unused amount for you

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        is it your router or his? if you have access to the router settings, see if you have access to QoS. it will allow you to prioritize the devices connected to the router. or it might even allow you to throttle his bandwidth, so that there's always an acceptable unused amount for you
                        Yeah it's mine. I'll have to try that out after work today

Comment

Then he has your bandwidth capped at the router so he's not lagging while being owned during his online gaming sessions. Do you have the router info/disc? You should get into the router and take a look.

Do you share in the Interest cost? If so I wouldn't put up with this if I were you. Virtually dropping you off completely sounds like overkill on top of being unfair.

Comment

I can't remember the username and password to get into the router so I really don't think he got into it either. Is there another way to screw with the bandwidth?

Comment

None that I can think of. Either he's limited you on your PC(torrent program settings), or he's limited you via the router settings, or your internet stinks and you're both going through the same thing or you have some kind of maleware on your PC which is somehow slowing down your speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X