This Team Needs to Attack the Rim on Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Team Needs to Attack the Rim on Offense

Denver was able to have the league's 5th best offense despite being a bad 3-point shooting team. They were 20th in makes per game at 6.4 on just 34.3% shooting (even the Raptors were better than this, same percentage more makes).

Denver also doesn't have any players that one would consider elite offensively... or even any guys that excel in halfcourt isolation.

So how the hell was their offense so good? By pushing the tempo (2nd in pace) and attacking the rim in the halfcourt set. Look at the shot chart for their best 5 man unit (Lawson-Iggy-Gallo-Faried-Koufos).

More than HALF (174/300) of their shot attempts as a unit came inside the paint, which allowed them to shoot 51.7% from the field as a unit. This is ridiculously efficient.

I'd argue that we have more offensive talent than that Nuggets team, better defensive players and either equal or better rebounding. We also have the athleticism to push the pace offensively while still playing great defense (despite their pace Denver was still 11th in defense). So why the hell isn't it happening?

i've been saying this for years.

if you want to be able to close out games you need a guy who can score in the post and someone to attack the rim/draw fouls. it's why i was hot for Waiters way back when.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Because Denver's offense was great during the regular season, and collapsed in the playoffs when they had to play a series of games against a team that could shoot the three well.

Comment

guys that are willing to put their head down and just drive to the rim over and over are actually few and far between. when Demar is doing it we're at our best, but for the most part he settles for jumpers and we all know how that goes.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This has been a problem since Carter fell in love with his jumper. This has been a problem for over a decade.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
            Because Denver's offense was great during the regular season, and collapsed in the playoffs when they had to play a series of games against a team that could shoot the three well.
            They were also missing arguably their best offensive talent in Gallinari.

Edit: And actually what hurt Denver in the playoffs wasn't the fact that they were an inside scoring team. It was the fact that they FORGOT they were an inside scoring team and proceeded to shoot more threes per game than the Warriors did during the playoffs (led the whole playoffs with 22.5 attempts per game), while only making 31.1% of them. They tried to beat the Warriors at their own game and got burned for it.

Their defense was also terrible as the Warriors shot 49.4% against them and 40.4% from 3.
            Last edited by Xixak; Wed Aug 14, 2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Agreed. This team (more specifically, the starting 5) has more than enough potential & athleticism to become a solid defensive and fast paced team. Good defense leads to even better offense.

I've said this before, but I'm hopeful Ujiri can bring some of that Denver mentality to our team. Dunno if he had anything to do with Karl's systems, but it'd be nice if he did.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                Agreed. This team (more specifically, the starting 5) has more than enough potential & athleticism to become a solid defensive and fast paced team. Good defense leads to even better offense.

I've said this before, but I'm hopeful Ujiri can bring some of that Denver mentality to our team. Dunno if he had anything to do with Karl's systems, but it'd be nice if he did.
                Yup, and our bench players could fit this model as well. Buycks looks like a slashing scoring PG with the length and quickness to excel on D. Ross could be as well if he would actually use his athleticism and attack the rim. And everyone already knows that Psycho T's game is all about going to the basket.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                  Yup, and our bench players could fit this model as well. Buycks looks like a slashing scoring PG with the length and quickness to excel on D. Ross could be as well if he would actually use his athleticism and attack the rim. And everyone already knows that Psycho T's game is all about going to the basket.
                  It also looks like Ujiri is trying to put together a team that will crash the O-boards and get the F back on defense. We'll have speed and hustle at the 4 and 5 at all times. Between Amir, Psycho and JV (and occasionally Acy) there's potential for a lot of put backs, especially with the way our team shoots haha
                  "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

But but RR has led me to believe 3pt shooting is what makes or breaks a team and its players. I'm so confused now.

Comment

I guess skill set and ball movement does not factor in to this at all.

Tough to attack the rim consistently when only two guys from last year had that ability off the bounce and the coach is running high school sets for long 2s (DD) and curling 3s (Ross).

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                        But but RR has led me to believe 3pt shooting is what makes or breaks a team and its players. I'm so confused now.
                        Exactly. We can't shoot threes. So the other viable option is to go inside, which is what our roster is fit to do.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                          Exactly. We can't shoot threes. So the other viable option is to go inside, which is what our roster is fit to do.
                          Where are the lanes going to be for this?

The opposition needs to just pack the key whenever the starting unit is on the floor.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Where are the lanes going to be for this?

The opposition needs to just pack the key whenever the starting unit is on the floor.
                            So how in all of fuck did Denver do it last year when they shoot the 3 worse than us?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                              So how in all of fuck did Denver do it last year when they shoot the 3 worse than us?
                              Didn't watch too many Nuggets games, but I assume they generated a LOT of fastbreak points by solid defense and forcing turnovers (not necessarily scoring in a half court set).
                              Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Aug 14, 2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X