Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rudy Gay says no to tanking

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    @rudygay22: What up twitter

@smbamba: @rudygay22 anxiously waitin for 13-14 season

@rudygay22: “@smbamba: @rudygay22 anxiously waitin for 13-14 season”me too

@SalmanPakman: @rudygay22 @smbamba we're tanking tho...

@rudygay22: “@SalmanPakman: @rudygay22 @smbamba we're tanking tho...” Tanking what?!!
    I responded to that tweet actually.

@RRyan22: Tankings are for loosers. Raps w/ Gay are more than good enough to make the playoffs.

This dude(@SalmanPakman) don't know who he is. Don't care who he is. Don't care if he post here. Started trolling me on twitter. But based on his comments. Pretty obvious he has no idea what he's talking about. Maybe time for him to switch to a different sport. Or watch Dancing With The Stars instead?

And yes. I stand by my comments. Tanking are for LOOSERS.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    I responded to that tweet actually.

@RRyan22: Tankings are for loosers. Raps w/ Gay are more than good enough to make the playoffs.

This dude(@SalmanPakman) don't know who he is. Don't care who he is. Don't care if he post here. Started trolling me on twitter. But based on his comments. Pretty obvious he has no idea what he's talking about. Maybe time for him to switch to a different sport. Or watch Dancing With The Stars instead?

Dancing with the stars has some nice eye candy
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Losers

Sorry I'm not much of a grammar nazi but this one is a personal pet peeve of mine.

Carry on.

Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Tanking gets Toronto Wiggans, Wiggans plays the three, Gay dont wanna tank.

everyone is sort sighted with this wiggins kid, why risk the season, risk growth, for a slim chance to get him when there is a greater chance that you can sign him when he becomes a free agent. Plant the seed in him now and he can be the face of canadian basketball if he were to leave the team he was drafted with. He would be a bigger star in Canada. In fact he might know this already.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All the more reason to trade him!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    everyone is sort sighted with this wiggins kid, why risk the season, risk growth, for a slim chance to get him when there is a greater chance that you can sign him when he becomes a free agent. Plant the seed in him now and he can be the face of canadian basketball if he were to leave the team he was drafted with. He would be a bigger star in Canada. In fact he might know this already.
    There is more than Wiggins in this draft.

Like 2003 LeBron was THE one but there were other awesome talent in the top 5.

2013 is shaping up to be the same.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    banking on him signing here after his rookie contract is pretty risky in my opinion.

8. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Players don't tank. It's something management does. Players AND coaches should always do their jobs to the fullest.

10. Like magoon, p00ka, akashsingh, blackjitsu liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

The only guys from the 2003 draft that have sniffed a championship are LeBron, Wade and Bosh. Raptors has Bosh and accomplished nothing, and then he bolted to South Beach.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    The only guys from the 2003 draft that have sniffed a championship are LeBron, Wade and Bosh. Raptors has Bosh and accomplished nothing, and then he bolted to South Beach.
    I had to look it up to find out that 2003 draftees that won championship rings include Darko with the Pistons in 2004, Kendrick Perkins with the Celtics in 2008, and James Jones won two the last two seasons with the Heat.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I keep saying the 84 draft was a bust, only guys that won any rings out of that were Jordan and Olajuwon.

2 out of 24.......that there's not so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    That's why I keep saying the 84 draft was a bust, only guys that won any rings out of that were Jordan and Olajuwon.

2 out of 24.......that there's not so good.
    Drafted in the first round in 1984 Otis Thorpe won a championship with Rockets in 1994 and also Kevin Willis won a ring with the Spurs in 2003.

Thorpe is next to Hakeem on the left.

Willis is behind George W.
    Last edited by stretch; Mon Aug 19th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.

15. Like LBF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Barkley made it to the NBA finals once and to conference finals three times beyond that. Stockton made it to the Finals twice and to conference finals three more times beyond that. Both were easily miles ahead of any Raptor ever.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    I had to look it up to find out that 2003 draftees that won championship rings include Darko with the Pistons in 2004, Kendrick Perkins with the Celtics in 2008, and James Jones won two the last two seasons with the Heat.
    Okay, so who wants to tank for Perkins, James Jones or Darko?

Post Thanks / Like

Right.

And they were all top5 picks who are perennial allstars.

The reason Bosh did nothing here is because he was on his own.

I take your comment as further evidence of the need to acquire assets that yield allstar talent through the draft or trade. Right now outside JV the Raptors don't have the assets or flexibility.
    Bruno Caboclo

19. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Right.

And they were all top5 picks who are perennial allstars.

The reason Bosh did nothing here is because he was on his own.

I take your comment as further evidence of the need to acquire assets that yield allstar talent through the draft or trade. Right now outside JV the Raptors don't have the assets or flexibility.
    The point is that even in the "awesome" 2003 draft, only two of the players turned out to be franchise-altering talents: Wade and LeBron. Would you blow up the Raptors' to acquire Bosh? What about for 'Melo? Those are two of the stellar top 5 picks from 2003. I think that the Raptors should consider trying to build the way Indiana or Memphis have. Develop a strong identity, and build a strong and efficient team around that identity. The idea of trading key players and receiving less value in return just for the sake of hoping to get a future star in the lottery doesn't interest me at all. If they make a trade, do it for good value players and assets, not just for the sake of dumping players and tanking.

21. Like JawsGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely understand this perspective, but just to make it a bit more realistic.... how much of that awesome talent is still on the same team that drafted it in 2003?
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Post Thanks / Like

The point is that even in the "awesome" 2003 draft, only two of the players turned out to be franchise-altering talents: Wade and LeBron. Would you blow up the Raptors' to acquire Bosh? What about for 'Melo? Those are two of the stellar top 5 picks from 2003. I think that the Raptors should consider trying to build the way Indiana or Memphis have. Develop a strong identity, and build a strong and efficient team around that identity. The idea of trading key players and receiving less value in return just for the sake of hoping to get a future star in the lottery doesn't interest me at all. If they make a trade, do it for good value players and assets, not just for the sake of dumping players and tanking.
    Based on 2003 draft:

I like the odds of 40% franchise talent.
    80% odds of all-star talent is really good too.

The difference between 2003 Cleveland, Toronto, and Denver is the 2013 Raptors would already be starting their rebuild with a potential all-star talent at C.

The difference between Indiana and Memphis is the flexibility those teams had when they were still in accumulation of talent mode. Toronto are still looking to add significant talent and pieces but lack high draft picks and cap space. You can't go the Indiana and Memphis route without significant cap space. It was cap space that landed the Grizz Z-Bo and Indiana Hill and West.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mundy wrote: View Post
    Completely understand this perspective, but just to make it a bit more realistic.... how much of that awesome talent is still on the same team that drafted it in 2003?
    1 player.

Apples and oranges comparison though. Poor management (Toronto and Cleveland) and personal reasons (Denver) lead to those players leaving their respective teams. Had Toronto and Cleveland been able to build winners who knows what would have happened. Had Melo not had a wife in the entertainment business who knows what would have happened.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

1 player.

Apples and oranges comparison though. Poor management (Toronto and Cleveland) and personal reasons (Denver) lead to those players leaving their respective teams. Had Toronto and Cleveland been able to build winners who knows what would have happened. Had Melo not had a wife in the entertainment business who knows what would have happened.
    I don't think it's really all that different. If you look at most clubs with losing histories, they're struggling to keep their elite talent because these days the younger guys think that they deserve a championship the second they make an all-star team. Kevin Love starting threatening his management right after signing an extension. The Cavs are going balls-deep on any free agent they have a chance with because they know Kyrie won't re-up if they're not doing better like ASAP. The whole idea of a proper rebuild doesn't really function with a lot of people, who usually use the OKC/Spurs model of phenomenal drafting + luck that isn't realistically applied to most scenarios.
    Last edited by Mundy; Mon Aug 19th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information