No announcement yet.

Who's the greatest Laker of all time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the greatest Laker of all time??

Kobe, Magic or Kareem?

Me and my friends were just discussing about this a couple of days ago. And to me there really is no wrong answer. I mean, if you look at their stats, their personal accomplishments, the championship that they've won. Any of these guys can be argued as the greatest Laker of all time.

Who do you guys think is the greatest Laker of all time?? and why? i'll reserve my opinion later
    Mamba Mentality

Kobe.

Kobe took over pretty much all offensive statistical categories in Lakers history book. When LA won championship in 2009 I said myself if Kobe can take one more, to tie up with Magic, he'll be the greatest in Lakers history. So here we go.

Comment

Freddie Laker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Laker

Comment

Are we looking at the Laker years only? In that case, I'll have to say Magic.

Magic is clearly the most iconic Laker in terms of what he meant to the NBA, its growth and popularity. In terms of achievements, he has as many or more rings (5), MVPs (3) or Finals MVPs (3) as any other Laker. I'd argue that those are the most important achievements.

Kareem has a strong argument if we include non-Laker years.

Kobe's argument is more longevity / total years and total stats. If we focus on that, then he has a case, obviously. Magic retired in his prime and Kareem spent a big part of his career in Milwaukee.

Comment

Magic. Kobe's a close second place though.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Kobe.

Comment

Magic. Kobe's a ball hog
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Magic
                Kareem
                Kobe
                Jerry West
                George Mikan....he could be higher, but the game was just too different for me to put him higher...and you know, it was well before I was even alive

I also am not sure Kobe would be that high on the list (or on it at all) without Shaq and Pau around for his career. Kobe is a pretty overrated player IMO, even though I still acknowledge he's the best SG of his generation. He is not nearly as capable as guys like Jordan or LeBron to truly carry a team on his own. Jordan and LeBron are leaders, Kobe's just a mercenary.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Magic
                  Kareem
                  Kobe
                  Jerry West
                  George Mikan....he could be higher, but the game was just too different for me to put him higher...and you know, it was well before I was even alive

I also am not sure Kobe would be that high on the list (or on it at all) without Shaq and Pau around for his career. Kobe is a pretty overrated player IMO, even though I still acknowledge he's the best SG of his generation. He is not nearly as capable as guys like Jordan or LeBron to truly carry a team on his own. Jordan and LeBron are leaders, Kobe's just a mercenary.
                  No offense but that's a pretty stupid comment.

Jordan had Pippen and Rodman. LeBron had Wade. Magic had Kareem and Worthy. Bird had McHale and Parrish. Duncan had Parker and Ginobili. Heck, i don't think Shaq would win 3 championships in LA without Kobe. Shaq gets all the credit but Kobe was already an ELITE 2 guard back in the early 2000's.

My point, Batman can't do it alone. There's always a Robin on every championship team. You need to have at least 2 superstars to win a championships.

The last 25 years. The only team that i can think of that won titles with only one superstar was Hakeem Olajuwon's Rockets team back in the mid 90's. That's it.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    No offense but that's a pretty stupid comment.

Jordan had Pippen and Rodman. LeBron had Wade. Magic had Kareem and Worthy. Bird had McHale and Parrish. Duncan had Parker and Ginobili. Heck, i don't think Shaq would win 3 championships in LA without Kobe. Shaq gets all the credit but Kobe was already an ELITE 2 guard back in the early 2000's.

My point, Batman can't do it alone. There's always a Robin on every championship team. You need to have at least 2 superstars to win a championships.

The last 25 years. The only team that i can think of that won titles with only one superstar was Hakeem Olajuwon's Rockets team back in the mid 90's. That's it.
                    Ok, well I don't think it's that stupid a comment when until Pau came, Kobe was considered a pretty bad teammate. Selfish, aggressive and hard to get along with. Jordan had help, but Jordan was the man. He had the respect and admiration of his teammates for most of his career, and he's not exactly a rosy character. It's not like he was everyone's friend, but he was the leader of his teams. He didn't force Pippen out of Chicago because of his ego.

As for LeBron, and linked to your last comment...Miami does not have a big 3. They have LeBron. Wade is a shadow of his former self, and Bosh was not a superstar...a decent all-star at best, and so far from playing like a big man. When you have to switch Bosh off Duncan and guard him with LeBron....yeah, that's not much of a superstar if he can't match up with someone at his own position. And LeBron had led Cavs teams with basically no talent to NBA Finals.

My point is that for the teams Kobe has been on to be as good as they could be, it took having Shaq, or Pau, as basically the guys who made the team work in terms of coming together and playing like a team. If you actually read my post, you'd notice that I called Kobe a mercenary, and not a leader.

Kobe is not a leader. His teammates often grow weary of his personality. I don't think he "gets it" the way Jordan, LeBron, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Kareem, etc. did.

*It's not a stupid comment just because you have an obvious mancrush on Kobe.

**And to use comic book references, Kobe is not Batman. Kobe is Wolverine...not always willing to believe in his team or willing to work with them to succeed.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Aug 18, 2013, 04:12 AM.

Comment

2003 Spurs, 1994 Rockets, 2011 Mavs

2004 Pistons, if we consider Big Ben a superstar at the time.

Comment

Both Kobe and Jordan have one thing in common. Nevermind Pippen, Shaq, Pau, Rodman or any of the others. Both were as successful as they were because of Phil.

So, I'll go with Magic, really wish I had been old enough to watch him play.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Ok, well I don't think it's that stupid a comment when until Pau came, Kobe was considered a pretty bad teammate. Selfish, aggressive and hard to get along with. Jordan had help, but Jordan was the man. He had the respect and admiration of his teammates for most of his career, and he's not exactly a rosy character. It's not like he was everyone's friend, but he was the leader of his teams. He didn't force Pippen out of Chicago because of his ego.

As for LeBron, and linked to your last comment...Miami does not have a big 3. They have LeBron. Wade is a shadow of his former self, and Bosh was not a superstar...a decent all-star at best, and so far from playing like a big man. When you have to switch Bosh off Duncan and guard him with LeBron....yeah, that's not much of a superstar if he can't match up with someone at his own position. And LeBron had led Cavs teams with basically no talent to NBA Finals.

My point is that for the teams Kobe has been on to be as good as they could be, it took having Shaq, or Pau, as basically the guys who made the team work in terms of coming together and playing like a team. If you actually read my post, you'd notice that I called Kobe a mercenary, and not a leader.

Kobe is not a leader. His teammates often grow weary of his personality. I don't think he "gets it" the way Jordan, LeBron, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Kareem, etc. did.

*It's not a stupid comment just because you have an obvious mancrush on Kobe.

**And to use comic book references, Kobe is not Batman. Kobe is Wolverine...not always willing to believe in his team or willing to work with them to succeed.
                          Geez. Obvious man crush on Kobe?? where did that came from?? i'm not even a Lakers fan LOL. But based on your first comment, look like you're on of those Kobe hater. I mean, did u just call Kobe overrated? LAUGHABLE and idiotic.

Sorry but it seems like you no idea what you're talking about. I mean, did you just say Miami doesn't have a big 3?? WHAT? Dwayne Wade a shadow of himself?? lol where are all these coming from? Wade averaged 21ppg in the regular season last year. Slowed down in the playoffs because of injury. But he was great in the Finals specially the last 2 games.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Kareem is clearly greater than both.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Geez. Obvious man crush on Kobe?? where did that came from?? i'm not even a Lakers fan LOL. But based on your first comment, look like you're on of those Kobe hater. I mean, did u just call Kobe overrated? LAUGHABLE and idiotic.

Sorry but it seems like you no idea what you're talking about. I mean, did you just say Miami doesn't have a big 3?? WHAT? Dwayne Wade a shadow of himself?? lol where are all these coming from? Wade averaged 21ppg in the regular season last year. Slowed down in the playoffs because of injury. But he was great in the Finals specially the last 2 games.
                              If you didn't notice that LeBron once again almost single-handedly won every playoff series for that team...well then I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, Kobe is overrated if people even generally mention his name in the same sentence as guys like Jordan and Magic. It has nothing to do with hate. Those guys were legends, leaders, and possibly the greatest players ever to play the game. I don't think Kobe is even in the top 10...

*Oh, and about Wade...he's not half the player he was a few years ago. He used to be able to carry a team on his own and was a legit franchise player. He's far too young to be having "throwback" games, but that's basically what his best games are now. You can't rely on him to give you nearly what he used to on a nightly basis. If you also can't see that....well then I don't know what to tell you. LeBron covers so many holes for that team.

*BTW the tone of your replies are very insulting. You haven't really posted an opinion, just attacked mine. That's fine, but you are JUST ATTACKING mine. Nothing I've said is outlandish...debatable, maybe, but you're not debating, you're berating. You're just acting like a bully, probably because you don't have a clue how to properly retort. Overrated means exactly what I said. He's raised up higher in the debate than he should be by far too many people. Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Duncan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Bird, Robertson, Hakeem, Shaq...that's 11 guys I'd rather build my team around than Kobe. Better characters/leaders, extremely productive, unstoppable forces, and all winners. And please don't spout some shit about Kobe's 5 rings. If that's the measuring stick, Horry's a better player than him.

**And since you're attacking me, I just rememberd you once compared Marcus Smart to Kyrie Irving. You clearly have no clue how to watch basketball at all. Might as well have compared Chris Bosh to Shaq.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Aug 18, 2013, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X