Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You (Personally) Care So Much About The Raptors?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why Do You (Personally) Care So Much About The Raptors?

Inspired by a Matt52 recent post(which was inspired by a Karl Marx post)

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post230122

From above link (Thanks Karl Marx.):

If Raptors finish with 8 less wins than Washington or 5 less wins than Minnesota, they will be the worst team in the league since 2001-2002.

Moments like this I ask myself why I care so much about the Raptors.... lol
    He's more than likely only semi-serious. But, it brings up an interesting topic. Especially since this year and the next have the potential to be real stinkers.

So, as the headline asks;

Why do you care so much about the raptors?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I ask myself this all the time lol. I'm not a TO sports fan in general...I hate the Leafs and have no ties to the city. However, I do love the game of basketball and I believe that having a team in Canada is a great thing, and what better place to have it then in TO. Also, having a team in Canada means I get to watch more NBA games so thats important to me too, and it also increases exposure of the game in Canada and I want basketball to improve in this country. I guess I kinda feel like I have to, but for whatever unknown reason, I want this team to succeed. An NBa championship in Canada would be as satisfying as a World Series victory was!!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of like watching a crappy movie that seemed promising based on the trailers. You feel the need to see how it ends because you're already invested.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

4. Like Axel, Mack North liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love basketball
    I live in Toronto
    Raptors play basketball in Toronto

GOTTA SUPPORT THE TEAM!!

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

they're my team. period.

good or bad, your team is your team. if I even entertained not being a fan because of frustration, i'd consider myself a fairweather fan

I even still consider myself a sonics fan despite the fact that they don't actually exist anymore.

7. Like LUMTIMATE, JawsGT, lilmamba_, p00ka, Letter N, Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the game, and I've learned to love this team! Of course, living close is the biggest factor.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The short answer is that I have too much spare time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge sports fan and am typically loyal to "my" team, regardless of the sport or my team's success. I have been an NBA basketball fan since the mid 80's, becoming a fan of the Bulls thanks to the dynamic high-flying antics of a young player named Michael Jordan, while all my friends cheered for Magic's Lakers, Larry's Celtics, Isaiah's Pistons or Dominique's Hawks. I was initially faced with disappointment, thanks to back-to-back conference losses to the Pistons, but stayed loyal and was rewarded six-fold. When it was announced that Toronto was getting a team (I grew up in southern Ontario), they immediately became my 1A team. Once Jordan retired for the second time and the Bulls' dynasty was broken up, I shifted my loyalty to my new hometeam. My support and loyalty only grew once I moved to Toronto, where I witnessed the team's greatest successs closeup for 8 seasons. Even after moving out here to Calgary, the Raptors are still "my" team.

I think being a true fan is akin to marriage; through good times and bad, in sickness and in health, through lockouts and strikes, through rebuilds and builds... stay loyal to your team. It will also make enjoying success that much sweeter... assuming it will actually happen within our lifetimes! lol

11. Like Mundy, Vimsanity, Axel, p00ka, Letter N liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    they're my team. period.

good or bad, your team is your team. if I even entertained not being a fan because of frustration, i'd consider myself a fairweather fan
    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think being a true fan is akin to marriage; through good times and bad, in sickness and in health, through lockouts and strikes, through rebuilds and builds... stay loyal to your team. It will also make enjoying success that much sweeter... assuming it will actually happen within our lifetimes! lol
    These!! It's all about attachment and loyalty, through the bad as well as the good. Fair weather fans come and go, but in the world I grew up in, true fans stick with their team. Look at Chicago Cubs fans. It's been over 100 years, yet 3rd and 4th generation fans keep streaming into Wrigley Field at a rate of 35-40,000/game, year after year.

As far as "care so much", that gets into reasoning that psychologists have been pondering forever about sports fandom. There's multitude of different reasons why fans care so much, but it usually boils down to escape from the doldrums of real life, coupled with new hope at the beginning of each season.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Why do you care so much about the raptors?
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a Canadian team win the NBA Championship?

Post Thanks / Like

I think what made me a huge fan was 2000-01. I've been a fan since the franchise started but I was there for that playoff run. I remember random fans at the ACC hugging and dancing in the aisles as Vince rained threes on the Sixers. I remember travelling to Philly for Game 7 and getting pelted with beer and pop and peanuts and hot dogs. I remember Oakley's costly behind the back passes and his brutal missed layup (the biggest missed layup in Raptors history). I remember standing right behind VC as he rose up, watching the shot and thinking we were going to the NBA finals....

That run was the most I've ever cared about a team. So, even though the organization has made me dead inside in the years since, I'll always cheer for them cause of that month.

15. Like whiteBLUNTZ liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I care about the Raptors and sports in general for so many reasons. To me sports are the original and best reality television. Sports are not scripted and you truly never know what you’re going to see on any given night. If there were no sports, I don’t know if I would even own a TV, I don’t really even turn the thing on before 7pm. I think when the rest of the media is focusing on all that wrong with the world sports is still for the most part showcasing achievement and triumph. Add those reasons with the good times with friends and cheering for your home team and I wonder how anyone can’t love sports.

I have become more of a basketball fan and less of a hockey fan every year because I just feel it’s a better game. I love the Raptors but just wish we could have more success. I think when it comes down which Toronto team has had the best players in the best part of their careers; the Raptors lead all Toronto teams. The Blue Jays may be second on that list but considering how much large a roster size they work with sheer amount of players in the farm system I still give the lead to Raps.

Post Thanks / Like

I am likely not as big a fan as most of you on this site. The main reason for me I guess is that I like watching basketball, and I feel a real comraderie with the Raptors for being the lone Canadian franchise in the league. That being said, since moving to Michigan I have started following the Tigers and the Pistons, so that I can participate in the water-cooler talk around work. When I was living in Canada, the Raptors were the water-cooler talk.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar to what has been said in this thread but also: I really really like the roster we have at the moment, especially the starting lineup. Yes, I could do without Augustin and maybe Psycho T (although he's useful I won't deny it), but the rest of the squad is awesome, attitude-wise and play-wise. Plus people are sleeping on this team, so I just rep them harder. #BuycksWorld baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's kind of like watching a crappy movie that seemed promising based on the trailers. You feel the need to see how it ends because you're already invested.
    A movie is 2 hours, then you don't have to hear about it again. If it was a stinker, it's probably not even going to be broadcasted on regular tv. It just fades into oblivion. This does not happen with sports teams using all the toronto sports teams as prime examples.

Also, movies usually end before you do. Usually not the case with sports teams. Which I suppose the loyalty and "invest" is what keeps it going.

I kind of get where you're coming from. Just a bit confusing.

If I were to answer this question, specifically focusing on the raptors. It's like somebody mentioned, it'd be great for canada to win a championship. You can be a fan of any other team, but there won't be anything like the electricity here when that day finally comes.

I remember when the Canucks were in the cup final a few years ago and it was fresh off winning the gold medal at the 2010 olympics. There was nothing better, even if you weren't an original fan of the team. It was like if you were Canadian, you had permission granted to hop on the fucking bandwagon!

It was a great feeling from coast-to-coast or at least it seemed. I don't know if the NBA or the raptors have that kind of draw in canada. But, if the world team starts getting good and then the raptors. Basketball will be at an all-time high in Canada and it'll be awesome!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive adopted the team. I grew up in Toronto, so when my dad would take me to see sports, he would take me to see the raptors. Now this is my team. Ive been through so much raptor history that it feels partially like my own history.

And you know, when you sit through all the shitty seasons, you still get attached to player development and to the general trajectory of the team. Why? I guess there is some searching for a specific satisfaction, to sit there when the Raptors do become relevant with the players that you saw grow up on the trajectory and history that you experienced with them. I would say that every shitty season just builds up the suspense, builds the depth and meaning in one's fan-ship, and is the ruler to measure band-wagoners with.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Rookie Rapzilla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a good question is... If there was another nba team in Canada, would you support both teams or just root for the Raps cos they're like "the first child"? It would almost be like a Lakers/Clippers senario...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I think what made me a huge fan was 2000-01. I've been a fan since the franchise started but I was there for that playoff run. I remember random fans at the ACC hugging and dancing in the aisles as Vince rained threes on the Sixers. I remember travelling to Philly for Game 7 and getting pelted with beer and pop and peanuts and hot dogs. I remember Oakley's costly behind the back passes and his brutal missed layup (the biggest missed layup in Raptors history). I remember standing right behind VC as he rose up, watching the shot and thinking we were going to the NBA finals....

That run was the most I've ever cared about a team. So, even though the organization has made me dead inside in the years since, I'll always cheer for them cause of that month.
    That series vs Philly was electric....game 3 especially. If Raptors ever got back to that point ....wow5

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

that`s simple: the day i became a raptors fan, was this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdPlXuHIq1s

i was a chicago bulls fan during the jordan era and that was the first time i started watching basketball. when they played the raptors during their epic 72 win season, and they lost, i was, "yo, those purple t-rexes are bad ass" they sucked that season, but they were #2 in my books, until jordan retired and then they became my favourite team and i just always cared about them
    Protocall
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
    http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapzilla wrote: View Post
    I think a good question is... If there was another nba team in Canada, would you support both teams or just root for the Raps cos they're like "the first child"? It would almost be like a Lakers/Clippers senario...
    oh, no you don't! Start your own thread, buster..There's enough hi-jacked threads already..haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information