Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do You (Personally) Care So Much About The Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Have you not seen the LOTR Director's cut? Now there's 12 hours I'll never get back....
    it was all worth it
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I was just hitting my basketball stride when the Raps and Grizz joined the league. Being from Calgary and having lots of family in both BC and Ontario made it possible for me to envision the cities and buildings they played in, and one year they had the Nasmith Cup pre-season game in Calgary. I was hooked. When the Grizz moved it was a no-brainer. But that's also why I'll nearly always root for Memphis over anybody but the Raps.

Also I like being different. In Calgary you either watch NHL or NFL, unless you're like 60+ and are into the CFL.
      "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I travelled to Toronto in february to sit court-side at the ACC. I went to the new orleans game and denver nuggets game after the rudy gay acquisition. I flew for over 36 hours to see the boys.

If you look at the top 10 dunks of the year the derozan dunk on mozgov I am sitting to the right of the back board - the first one up in the crowd with one fist in the air. This is me. High fiving rudy gay after the game winning shot was a top 10 highlight in my own life.

I love the raptors. I wake up at 6am to watch every game live and have done year after year. I have only ever missed a handful of games. If you asked me why i picked the raptors i couldn't give you an answer... but all i know is that when we win the ring through the dark times and light it will be oh soooo sweet. Raptors are my passion.

See this below (i am sure you have all seen it )

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          I love basketball
          I live in Toronto
          Raptors play basketball in Toronto

GOTTA SUPPORT THE TEAM!!
          Its really that simple. Love all sports, but bball the most by a margin. Always said growing up playing ball that I would have seasons tickets for my team when I could afford it. Not quite there, but have had quarter seasons for the last 7 years or so.
          Throw in that the team came into existence right around the time that I could truly form my own sports opinions (ie I was brought up in London Ontario to love Detriot teams, hate Toronto teams ... but none of that applied to the Raps because they were new, whereas it did / does to the Leafs/Jays and the CFL doesnt count).
          Bottom line .. the Raps have been a relatively horrible existence, but in some weird way that has made me even more loyal to them than any other team .. not sure that makes sense, but its true. I guess its cause they are the only local team that are truly "mine".. not thrust upon me

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
            Its really that simple. Love all sports, but bball the most by a margin. Always said growing up playing ball that I would have seasons tickets for my team when I could afford it. Not quite there, but have had quarter seasons for the last 7 years or so.
            Throw in that the team came into existence right around the time that I could truly form my own sports opinions (ie I was brought up in London Ontario to love Detriot teams, hate Toronto teams ... but none of that applied to the Raps because they were new, whereas it did / does to the Leafs/Jays and the CFL doesnt count).
            Bottom line .. the Raps have been a relatively horrible existence, but in some weird way that has made me even more loyal to them than any other team .. not sure that makes sense, but its true. I guess its cause they are the only local team that are truly "mine".. not thrust upon me
            I find it kind of sad that that's how you feel about early experiences in being a sports fan. One of the first things I would have mentioned when i touched on psychologists evaluating the world of being a sports fan, is the great value that can be obtained from shared experiences between a parent/child rooting for their team and especially shared time going to games. I'm sorry you didn't experience what I did.

Comment

Hmmm.....Personally? Apart from loving basketball, loving Toronto, and basically growing up with the Raps?

Basketball was my first addiction. Go through shitty times, find a ball and a place to shoot. Use it as an escape, and as motivation to keep pushing through the crap. Those years ran parallel with the VC years. And Alvin was definitely a role model. Every time you think you can't push through something, just remember Alvin "no cartilage in his knees" Williams going above and beyond the call of duty to try and help his team win. I knew then that I would never be able to follow another team. The Raptors were like a friend/role model that helped keep me focused and on track.

Comment

j3ffy wrote: View Post
                I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I travelled to Toronto in february to sit court-side at the ACC. I went to the new orleans game and denver nuggets game after the rudy gay acquisition. I flew for over 36 hours to see the boys.

If you look at the top 10 dunks of the year the derozan dunk on mozgov I am sitting to the right of the back board - the first one up in the crowd with one fist in the air. This is me. High fiving rudy gay after the game winning shot was a top 10 highlight in my own life.

I love the raptors. I wake up at 6am to watch every game live and have done year after year. I have only ever missed a handful of games. If you asked me why i picked the raptors i couldn't give you an answer... but all i know is that when we win the ring through the dark times and light it will be oh soooo sweet. Raptors are my passion.

See this below (i am sure you have all seen it )

Bahahahah! I absolutely LOVE Acy's reaction on the bench. He pretty much shits himself.

Comment

Bahahahah! I absolutely LOVE Acy's reaction on the bench. He pretty much shits himself.
                  Oh man, I'm still laughing. Just noticed Anderson's reaction (while still on the court). Priceless!

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    I find it kind of sad that that's how you feel about early experiences in being a sports fan. One of the first things I would have mentioned when i touched on psychologists evaluating the world of being a sports fan, is the great value that can be obtained from shared experiences between a parent/child rooting for their team and especially shared time going to games. I'm sorry you didn't experience what I did.
                    As i re-read the post .. I can see how it comes off as emotionally scarred as if I was tied down and forced to watch Tiger game replays until I was blue in the face! Obviously not the case, and in fact all of my childhood memories of attending and watching games with my parents are amazing (albeit eye opening walking the streets of Detriot and hearing the drunks at Tiger stadium cursing a blue streak when I was like 10 years old!).

My point though .. is that for me, the Raps were the first team that I could choose to root for without any pre-conceived notions. To me thats a huge thing. I wasnt jumping on any one else's bandwagon. It wasnt possible for someone to be a bigger Raps fan me. I could choose to live or die with this team .. but it wasnt because Michael Jordan won six titles with them before I started following them or because Bill Russell led them to dominance. It wasnt because my parents were fans and passed it on (as many Cowboys and Steelers fans would be today, given the strength of those franchises in the 60s/70s). To me that had (and has) an extra special appeal beyond being the local basketball team, who I would be a big fan of one way or the other ..

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                      it's like any relationship... anyone can survive through the good times... but the strength and conviction of a relationship can only really be measured when the times aren't so good... you don't really know if somebody is a keeper unless you can survive the BS and come out of it in a stronger position...

it's all good to have a chick with tits for days and an ass so cocked it makes shelves jealous... but how committed are you going to be when that all goes south?

Comment

Same reason why people are fans of anything else. I'm not going to be a bandwagoner. If you ask me, most TRUE fans are fans of shitty teams. For the really good teams (Miami) I'd say only 5% of their fans are real the rest are just cheering for a good team so they can win and be happy.

I live in New Brunswick where lots of people are Boston fans, I wouldn't mind being one of them with the recent success Boston has had in variable sports, but heck Toronto's Canadian and Boston is so damn greasy :P
                        A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Say it ain't so?

LBF wrote: View Post
                          Inspired by a Matt52 recent post(which was inspired by a Karl Marx post)

He's more than likely only semi-serious. But, it brings up an interesting topic. Especially since this year and the next have the potential to be real stinkers.

So, as the headline asks;

Why do you care so much about the raptors?
                          Personally, it's merely because I've been a fan for so long. My personal "fan morality" would never let me cheer for someone else. At the same time I've watched a whole lot of losers. Years and years and years of losers. So many losers have I watched that it's to the point when I only tune in for the occasional game dependingon who they're playing and my own schedule... Beyond that I now follow the scoreboard more times than not. The way I see it, life is short so why torture myself with the Raptors on a nightly basis? If they ever actually put it together I'll tune in like I used to. Last season I honestly had little to no excitement about the team. I knew it was all dead on a arrival. It might be dead on arrival this year as well but the 2014-15 season? That one has promise.

Comment

Oh man, I'm still laughing. Just noticed Anderson's reaction (while still on the court). Priceless!
                            can someone tell me why lowry is always on the floor..
                            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

i care because i was born to care..
                              i really don't know it just happened
                              outta no where
                              but the love for this team is above and beyond
                              call it obsession call it whatever you want
                              it was meant to be

tdot forever<3

Comment

Working...
                              X