Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs Of Tanking?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Signs Of Tanking?

Most of the outside media i have read says that the Raptors will be tanking next season and its only a matter of time before Ujiri will dismantle the team. Personally, i don't see how they came to this conclusion before we even see this team on the court. So im curious if maybe i am missing something? What leads them to think that the Raps will be aiming for lottery balls? (I havent seen any indication) I also wanted to pose the question: When do you know that the Raptors will be going in the opposite direction and what signs make you come to that realization? (ie. Trading Rudy/Demar)

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think poeple think the raps are going to tank, i think its more of a ''the raptors should tank'' or a ''I want the raptors to tank''
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

3. Like stretch liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    I dont think poeple think the raps are going to tank,
    they just think we are bad
    For The Win

5. Like Buyckshot liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    they just think we are bad
    Pretty much.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Most of the outside media"? Probably need to provide some sources for this one buddy.

If it's ESPN or anything like that, I wouldn't listen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a dude dressed in full military gear the other day.

Pretty sure that means we're tanking.

9. Like Vimsanity liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

let me give you this, the day ross starts.. consider its a tank
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

11. Like Xixak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    "Most of the outside media"? Probably need to provide some sources for this one buddy.

or if its TSN or sportsnet, they dont know anything either.. atleast they dont care

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

Sorry about not citing a source but I just keep reading this from all of the article links on the RR homepage. Specifically, all the power rankings i read seem to think the Raptors will be in rebuilding mode (Bleacherreport especially) not that they know any better but i just thought that maybe they see some sort of signal that ive missed...

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's simple. They don't know what they're talking about. Not a surprise really.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

15. Like Buyckshot liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tankers, Just Wanna Point Something Out

There's already a 4 lottery picks on this team:

Jonas Valanciunas - 5th -2011
    Terrence Ross - 8th - 2012
    Rudy Gay - 8th - 2006
    DeMar DeRozan - 9th - 2009

So I just want an explanation for how tanking is guaranteed to yield better players than those. That's all.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post

Rudy Gay - 8th - 2006

So I just want an explanation for how tanking is guaranteed to yield better players than those. That's all.
    No need to have yet another thread referring to tanking, so I merged yours with yesterday's "tanking" reference.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay - 8th - 2006

don't forget augustin, hansborough, and daye (1 pick out).

team is loaded with top shelf talent. now we just sit on it and let the playoff wins roll in for years to come.

19. Like Fully, lilmamba_, JimiCliff liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote EuroBaller wrote: View Post
    Most of the outside media i have read says that the Raptors will be tanking next season and its only a matter of time before Ujiri will dismantle the team. Personally, i don't see how they came to this conclusion before we even see this team on the court. So im curious if maybe i am missing something? What leads them to think that the Raps will be aiming for lottery balls? (I havent seen any indication) I also wanted to pose the question: When do you know that the Raptors will be going in the opposite direction and what signs make you come to that realization? (ie. Trading Rudy/Demar)
    Of everything I've read, the only consensus tank teams so far are Philly, Utah and Orlando. Most seem to think Boston will join them at some point, and Charlotte are probably bad enough to be considered tanking in spite of the fact that they added a fairly decent free agent (which is kind of hilarious).

But I think that Masai has positioned us to tank, simply because none of the players he added move the needle much in terms of making the team better right now. If he was really interested in improving the team for next year, he probably could have used the mid-level* to go out and get some kind of upgrade. Like Colangelo would always do**.

So as it stands, we're a Rudy Gay trade away from tanking. And I'm fully expecting a mid-season Gay trade.

*If we had a mid-level.

**Or at least, Colangelo thought he was upgrading, but it turned out he never was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    don't forget augustin, hansborough, and daye (1 pick out).

team is loaded with top shelf talent. now we just sit on it and let the playoff wins roll in for years to come.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside media hates on Toronto plain and simple.. Everyone thinks we suck no matter what we do. If Rudy went to detroit/washington/atl people would be calling them Contenders. Dude comes to Toronto, and it's like "is rudy that good" lol.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with Xixak on this one, we have five lottery picks on this team right now and we just traded a first pick overall a month ago. I, like many of you have been with the Raptors from day one and the losing seasons in Toronto (all sports) are really adding up. We are not going to get Wiggins and have this thing turned around two years after that. We had Vince Carter and didn’t win much of anything really and I don’t know if Wiggins can really have the same impact at the begging as Vince did. I say shoot for the playoffs every single year. The best time for me being a Raptors fan was being in playoffs, ya they didn’t win but I’ll take a second round knockout every year rather than miss the playoffs with pipe dreams of a saviour. Losing so many games and then drafting Ross, Davis or whoever just doesn’t work. I don’t concern myself with things like salary cap, luxury tax or any of that crap because I have no say over it. To me just make the damn playoffs. Just draft better, scout better, sign better, play better whatever, do any one of those things and we make playoffs year after year. If you think we should tank, the only day that matters to you is draft day. Then maybe in a few years we are better. Win every game you can cause all I want is playoff basketball.

24. Like Xixak liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Tanking doesn't work unless you get a GENERATIONAL talent. Period. And there isn't even one of those in every draft, and only 2 or 3 drafts have ever had more than 1.

The Raptors have already tanked before anyway:

2003: 4th pick Bosh
    2004: 8th Pick Aruajo
    2005: 7th pick villanueva 16th pick graham
    2006: 1st pick bargnani

so 2 top 5 picks, 4 top 10 picks and a mid-rounder and ZERO playoff series wins to show for it.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Wiggins, Parker and Randle could be a stars!

Newsflash the draft isn't rigged. Even if we get dead last (which is not happening btw, look at how bad PHX, ORL, SAC, UTA, etc are) there is a 75% chance we don't get the top pick. And the most likely outcome of tanking is landing a pick outside the top 3 (if you look at lottery odds the last place team has a 36% chance of picking 4th).

Tanking is just building your team based on luck. It makes sense if your team is already terrible and you have no established players. But you don't just trade established players away for picks which more than likely will yield INFERIOR players.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay - 8th - 2006

I think mostly, tanking, and the idea of tanking is attached to the hope that you not only secure that high pick, but the idea that you might be able to acquire that special "mega star" type player that comes along once in a while. If it were just about the lottery, and a pick, I'm sure most would think less of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw you can have success in the draft without tanking to a top 5 pick. Look at the 2011 draft for example. With the exception of Irving/JV, the top players were all drafted outside the top 10.

Klay - 11
    Kawhi - 15
    Vucevic - 16
    Shumpert - 17
    Faried - 22
    Jimmy Butler - 30
    Tobias - 19

28. Like mcHAPPY liked this post

Thread Information