Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Raptors future in Toronto

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Under the OTPP I do not agree with this. I think they had a budget and you operated within it. The budget was no luxury tax, I think.

But since Bell/Rogers took over a year ago, it appears to be the way you describe.

*fingers crossed*
    Not saying that Bell/Rogers have not been good but it doesn't seem any different to me under them as opposed to TPP. Speaking STRICTLY about the Raptors, MLSE went after the best available candidate in M Ujiri despite his services being expensive. It was the same 7 years ago when BC was hired. In fact BC cost more.

Be it Grunwald, Babcock, BC or Ujiri, MLSE did it's best in providing them with resources to build a winner. It's investments in programs around the country to establish Raptors as Canada's team also proves it. Yes there have been times when MLSE has refused to allow it's GM's to exceed the cap but that's only understandable. The Lakers are well into luxury tax territory because of their continued success. If the Raptors enjoyed that kind of success, MLSE would definitely do the same.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    With such a solid ownership group in place, such a loyal and passionate fan base (without worrying about fair-weather fans who are more than offset by corporate box ownership at ACC) and a great stadium, in a sports crazy city, the Raptors will always thrive in Toronto.
    Agreed.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Actually I believe in the context of his whole reply that Stern's big regret was putting a team in Vancouver in the first place. The NBA, for reasons that I still don't understand, did so much to dissuade Canadian cities from getting a team and did even more to make sure they didn't prosper. The original franchise cost for Vancouver and Toronto was something like 3 or 5 times what it was for Charlotte (the 2nd time around), we had restrictions against us for drafts for the first 3 years that didn't allow us to get a 1st pick overall, I think even the expansion draft was skewed to screw us over but I may be making that one up.

Outside of some sort of grudge against Canadians for how we treat his boy Bettman I never understood why Stern was so anti-Canada succeeding in the NBA.
    I would argue that many refs are anti-Canadian. May be a reflection of leagues' attitude toward Canada. I wish media would raise more questions in this regard. I really believe league does not want to be perceived as anti Canadian but institute policies that in effect are anti Canadian. I good hammering by media would be helpful in this regard.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I would argue that many refs are anti-Canadian. May be a reflection of leagues' attitude toward Canada. I wish media would raise more questions in this regard. I really believe league does not want to be perceived as anti Canadian but institute policies that in effect are anti Canadian. I good hammering by media would be helpful in this regard.
    What reason is there to believe that such bias (from the refs) exists against Canada?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What reason is there to believe that such bias (from the refs) exists against Canada?
    I agree. Refs tend to help the "big" teams against "smaller" teams.
    While we have been hit by some of the rules created to make Toronto and Vancouver less comparative, I do not believe refs were part of it.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Karl Marx. wrote: View Post
    I agree. Refs tend to help the "big" teams against "smaller" teams.
    While we have been hit by some of the rules created to make Toronto and Vancouver less comparative, I do not believe refs were part of it.
    There were some rules against them when the franchises started.

However there have been some rules brought in to help them moving forward.

"The fined if you publicly seek a trade" rule was brought in due to Carter antics causing Toronto to get nowhere near fair value for him.

Restricted free agency was a direct result of McGrady.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There were some rules against them when the franchises started.

However there have been some rules brought in to help them moving forward.

"The fined if you publicly seek a trade" rule was brought in due to Carter antics causing Toronto to get nowhere near fair value for him.

Restricted free agency was a direct result of McGrady.
    In what way did those rules helped the Raptors?
    Not to mention Francis blackmailing the Grizzlies to trade him.
    I am not sure he could have done that if they were an American team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree with this, those rules don't really help the Raptors, they help teams that will be in the same predicament we were in, in the future.

Let's be real, most rules instituted have screwed us at the time lol.

1996 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but Stern says that expansion teams can't pick #1, so we get Camby instead of Iverson

2006 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but it was decided earlier that no high school players could be drafted, which made the class relatively weak. Instead of deciding between Oden and Durant, we pick Il Mago

Post Thanks / Like

The didn't help the Raptors in the past, relative to the Grizzlies, but they will help the Raptors (all teams) avoid those negative situations in the first place.

Absolutely it could have happened to an American team. In fact, it has. Kobe did it to the entire league and forced Sacramento to trade him to LA, after many other teams had purposefully passed on him because they knew he wouldn't play for them. Remember, Vancouver didn't have to draft him (they really should have known that after holding pre-draft interviews with him), nor did they have to trade him; they bet on false hope and then capitulated.

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Gotta agree with this, those rules don't really help the Raptors, they help teams that will be in the same predicament we were in, in the future.

Let's be real, most rules instituted have screwed us at the time lol.

1996 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but Stern says that expansion teams can't pick #1, so we get Camby instead of Iverson

2006 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but it was decided earlier that no high school players could be drafted, which made the class relatively weak. Instead of deciding between Oden and Durant, we pick Il Mago
    It's unfortunate that the Raptors getting burned is what helped convince the league to change rules, but it's all just coincidence. I don't think there was ever any malicious intent or even bad karma directed towards the Raptors... more of perfect storm (and I know you weren't implying otherwise).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's unfortunate that the Raptors getting burned is what helped convince the league to change rules, but it's all just coincidence. I don't think there was ever any malicious intent or even bad karma directed towards the Raptors... more of perfect storm (and I know you weren't implying otherwise).
    Neither do I, I think we just have terrible luck lol

Thread Information