Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your favourite player, non-Raptors, past and present?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's your favourite player, non-Raptors, past and present?

Since these are the worst days on the NBA calendar, I was curious who Raptors nation liked the best, outside of Raptors players. So post your favourite former NBA player and your favourite current NBA player who don't don the Raptors red/purple and why.

For me, my favourite retired player is probably Rasheed Wallace. Jordan and Barkley are right up there, but I loved the way Sheed could impact so many parts of the game. His interior post defence and rebounding are staples of the game, but it's his superior shooting ability (for a big) that sets him apart. Used to watch videos of him in Detroit showing all of his trick shots. Left and right hand (2 balls at the same time) 3 point shots, no problem. 3/4 court bounce into the ball rack that is only an inch wider than the ball, book it. From behind the basket on the running track, swish. He could do it all, and if he had KG's heart, I don't doubt that Sheed could have been one of the greatest players ever. So while he was an underachiever (unless you count the record for Technicals), he was such a joy to watch, knowing he could do it all.

For current players, I'm a big Ray Allen fan (Jesus Shuttlesworth!) but I'm going to go with Russell Westbrook. During his rookie season, I had a sports package and I used to stay up late and watch random games. It wasn't long before I started following this rookie PG (and a sophomore Durant) tantilizing on that terrible Thunder team (that led to Harden's #3 pick). The aggressiveness for a point guard was almost unheard of. Lots of mistakes were made on that team, but you could see the potential oozing out of those two. Plus the awesome local TV commercials made the evening extra enjoyable.

What about you?
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Non-Raptors Past - Allen Iverson.

Non-Raptors Present - I'll go with Black Mamba. Or Durant.

Gotta go to work, so no write up on this.. maybe later.
    Love me some Iverson though.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Non-Raptors Past - Allen Iverson.

Non-Raptors Present - I'll go with Black Mamba. Or Durant.

Gotta go to work, so no write up on this.. maybe later.
      Love me some Iverson though.
      Iverson would have been way better (more accomplished) if he played in the current NBA. Rules are skewed in favour of players like him now. I completely believe he would have won a title if the current rules existed when he played.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Past: MJ. Too bad I never got to see him live. I wasn't around back then, but I watch highlights and throwback games whenever I can. NBA TV had a marathon going yesterday, I was in front of the tv all day. Haha.

Present: Stephen Curry. I try to model my own game around his.

(Kobe is a close second)
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          Past: MJ. Too bad I never got to see him live. I wasn't around back then, but I watch highlights and throwback games whenever I can. NBA TV had a marathon going yesterday, I was in front of the tv all day. Haha.
          I was lucky enough to be getting into basketball right around the 95-96 season; which just so happened to be when Jordan came back to start his second three-peat, and the Bulls won 72 games...and the Raptors still beat them at the Skydome.
          But ya, being able to watch Jordan for those 3 years was pretty fun. Being able to watch him when he came back again for the Wizards was a little less awesome ... But he did still go off for 51 one night, at the rype old age of 38 though..

And have countless other great moments with the Wizards. Pretty sure he set countless records for the "oldest player to do _______."

But still.. it was AI and VC that I attribute my lasting passion to the game. I grew up watching these guys grow as players, and mimicking everything (or trying to at least) they did on the court.
          I guess you could look at it like this... I had a pair of the Reebok I3 shoes and the VC Shox (still have the Shox laying around somewhere); Never owned a pair of Jordans.
          The VC Shox are still my favourite basketball shoe to this day.
          Last edited by Joey; Wed Aug 21, 2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I didn't start watching hoops until I was 15 or so, so Dominique was my first fav....the other retired fav would have to be Brandon Roy, I just like the way he played.

Now, its tough really. I still love the way Wade plays I guess. dude just gets it done.

Comment

Gary Payton is my all-time favorite. Had such great D, but could pretty much score whenever he wanted as well. He was so smooth too, and had a knack of getting under an opponents skin (trash talked with the best of 'em). Great all around PG, he could shoot, drive, finish, pass, get others involved, steal, block, he was the total package. Probably the only reason Seattle got a win off Jordan's Bulls (in the finals, can't remeber what year) was because Karl finally let GP guard Jordan, which at least gave them a shot to squeeze out a victory or two. Teamed with Kemp the boys were awesome.

Presently, I'm a big fan of Durant's (surprise, surprise) but I think DRose may be my favorite...his highlight reels are amazing, I hope he stays healthy. I love Z-Bo's game too! Hard too pick really.

Comment

All time, Sabonis and Hakeem. I love creative post game, and i haven't seen anything more creative and unpredictable than Sabonis' show and go and Hakeem's dream shake.

Current, i don't have a favorite.

Comment

All time - Magic, Hakeem and VC

Current - Kobe
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

hard question for the past. so many epic players during their youths. kg, allen, kobe, iverson, shaq, carter.

for right now, between kobe and dd. kobe because hes showing despite being old he can still dunk like a motherfucker. and dd because hes young and showing he can dunk like a motherfucker too.

Comment

past- karl malone

now- d rose

Comment

I'm not really sure I have favorites per se. Rather guys i liked to watch:

The guys I used to love watch play were Magic, Kemp and Nash (I know Nash is still playing but there is a huge difference between today's Nash and the Nash of a few years ago). The guy who I love to see clips of but was a bit to young to watch is Pistol Pete.

Today there are alot of guys I think are alot of fun to watch. Josh Smith and Rondo are up there, Lebron is amazing, Blake Griffin is more or less guaranteed to get you out of your seat atleast once a game.

Comment

Past - Bernard King.

Present - Chris Paul.

Comment

Working...
                          X