X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zach Harper CBSSports.com Raptors Off-Season Grade

He gets it!

Overall grade and accomplishments: A-

Why did the Raptors get such a high grade from me when it looks like they didn't do much at all? Because they finally did some house cleaning that was probably long overdue. Yes, Colangelo did get them Rudy Gay and he could end up being a great perimeter weapon for them. Whether you think he's deserving of his contract or not, the team did find a way to play much better in the second half of the season with him. We don't know if that will continue into next year, but we've at least seen evidence that they can play better with him on the court.

The departures of Colangelo and Bargnani prove to the organization and the fans that the past won't be held onto any longer. Few executives are as aggressive and savvy in the trade market as Ujiri and with his scouting team in place, we could see this team turned around in a relatively short amount of time. You have to find a direction before you can start moving and it's easy to feel like Ujiri is good at finding direction for a team.

The moves to the roster were minor for the Raptors, but if we see them get back to the 2011-12 defensive effort and execution that brought about such nice expectations for the team coming into last season, they may not need to do a whole lot. DeMar DeRozan could stand to make more jumpers, Rudy Gay too. And while Jonas Valanciunas has gained some bulk to his frame and started playing more physical basketball against lesser competition, we still need to see that at the NBA level, in real NBA games to know he's ready to make the leap.

It's just good to see the Raptors can finally move into a new era of basketball without the old one glaring them in the face. Change isn't always fruitful, but it often can be very good.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...oronto-raptors
    Getting the ball rolling is rarely met with praise or applause but you've got to start somewhere.

Great find Matt.

I can say that I agree 100% with this guys sentiments.

We are not sure where the Raptors are, in any final sense of the word, but we know they are in a better place and we will know a hell of a lot more by January.

Comment

He always seems to have a good perspective....that takes some insight to not just see that a lottery team didn't get a lottery pick and didn't add much but still went in the right direction

Comment

Harper's the first writer I've seen who actually thinks Buycks has a legit shot at usurping Augustin as the primary backup. Interesting.

Also of note, although we're all praising Ujiri's work, the main cogs of this team are still Colangelo's (Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Amir, Jonas, Casey).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Harper's the first writer I've seen who actually thinks Buycks has a legit shot at usurping Augustin as the primary backup. Interesting.

Also of note, although we're all praising Ujiri's work, the main cogs of this team are still Colangelo's (Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Amir, Jonas, Casey).
          Very important to remember.

Also important to realize no body was signed beyond next season and they are all team options.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

That's a good point, but I think he was focusing on the fact that Ujiri is putting himself in a position where he can blow this roster up completely if it doesn't pan out this year. Basically praising a patient but steady approach to the roster and front office.
            "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
              That's a good point, but I think he was focusing on the fact that Ujiri is putting himself in a position where he can blow this roster up completely if it doesn't pan out this year. Basically praising a patient but steady approach to the roster and front office.
              Yes.

And bring everyone back if it does work out.

Comment

Ujiri has had a great off-season considering the limited options he had.

The Knicks deal was basically the unanimous winner for the most lopsided trade of the summer (and in the Raptors favour for once), and that's after most people (myself included) had come to grips that the only way Bargnani would be moved was for an equally bad contract.

Hansbrough/Augustin/Daye are all cheap, short-term deals for players that could hypothetically serve a purpose as either a) a piece on a team gunning for the playoffs or b) a piece on a team that turns to the tanking/rebuilding route or c) a trade asset late in the season depending on their production.

It's so refreshing to watch Ujiri use the back end of his roster on guys like this. Even if you're able to turn one or two of those guys into second rounders at the deadline, you've basically been able to create draft picks out of thin air. And if there's no market for them, no harm done. They're all 1 year deals potentially for a little over the minimum.
                Last edited by Fully; Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:31 AM.

Comment

How you view this offseason largely depends on whether you believe the front office cleaning was critical and how much value you place on Bargs being gone. From a pure "player in-player out" point of view, well, not much has changed for 2013-14. It's the organizational change being graded here.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    How you view this offseason largely depends on whether you believe the front office cleaning was critical and how much value you place on Bargs being gone. From a pure "player in-player out" point of view, well, not much has changed for 2013-14. It's the organizational change being graded here.
                    Ahh, sports media. Bashes the Knicks for picking him up, but no praise goes to us for getting something useful back.

The value of Bargs being gone is huge no matter what way you look at it.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                      Ujiri has had a great off-season considering the limited options he had.

The Knicks deal was basically the unanimous winner for the most lopsided trade of the summer (and in the Raptors favour for once), and that's after most people (myself included) had come to grips that the only way Bargnani would be moved was for an equally bad contract.

Hansbrough/Augustin/Daye are all cheap, short-term deals for players that could hypothetically serve a purpose as either a) a piece on a team gunning for the playoffs or b) a piece on a team that turns to the tanking/rebuilding route or c) a trade asset late in the season depending on their production.

It's so refreshing to watch Ujiri use the back end of his roster on guys like this. Even if you're able to turn one or two of those guys into second rounders at the deadline, you've basically been able to create draft picks out of thin air. And if there's no market for them, no harm done. They're all 1 year deals potentially for a little over the minimum.
                      Bang on
                      "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

I thought Dwight Buycks is a three year?

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          Three year contract? Or third year in the league?

Answer is no to both though I think. He's a rookie (although he's played in the DL before), not sure how long his deal is.

Comment

Ya sorry I meant 3 year deal cause Ujiri is pretty high on him.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              Two year contract.. only first is guaranteed (so he could only be here for one year).

Comment

Working...
                              X