[Hoopsworld] Gay, Lowry contract years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    Look, I'm sure Lowry is training very hard. Honestly, there's never really been a concern about Kyle Lowry's work ethic, has there? It's always been very clear he's willing to bust ass.

The problem with Kyle Lowry throughout his career is not one of work ethic: it's the fact that he's been a troublesome presence in many a locker room (he was even getting called out for it last year in Toronto!), and no amount of redefining the word "relentlessly" is going to change that.
    He was kind of fat last year.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

http://instagram.com/p/diV2mfo4yC

Gay's working out with Hakeem the Dream! Putting in the work

Comment

Every year there's stories about guys working in the offseason, rarely have I seen much difference in on court production.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

It's not realistic to expect Gay to increase his efficiency to the levels that LBJ got them to after working with Hakeem, but a more efficient Gay is a really, really good thing. The Raptors would benefit greatly from a legit mid post scoring threat. Wonder if this is why he is reportedly bulking up. Now...who is he going to be passing out of the post to for easy 3's?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            It's not realistic to expect Gay to increase his efficiency to the levels that LBJ got them to after working with Hakeem, but a more efficient Gay is a really, really good thing. The Raptors would benefit greatly from a legit mid post scoring threat. Wonder if this is why he is reportedly bulking up. Now...who is he going to be passing out of the post to for easy 3's?
            I actually think Novak will get some good burn off the bench. A quick-hit assassin in the mold of Dell Curry. Only plays 15-20mpg at most, but while he's on the floor, a lot of sets are run to get him open looks.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I actually think Novak will get some good burn off the bench. A quick-hit assassin in the mold of Dell Curry. Only plays 15-20mpg at most, but while he's on the floor, a lot of sets are run to get him open looks.
              I agree. I think this is where the new coaching staff comes into play. There needs to be a lot more creativity in bursts when it comes to play-calling and Novak could be a wild card for us.
              "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
                I agree. I think this is where the new coaching staff comes into play. There needs to be a lot more creativity in bursts when it comes to play-calling and Novak could be a wild card for us.
                We need more Simpsons-themed avatars up in this bizatch!

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  Every year there's stories about guys working in the offseason, rarely have I seen much difference in on court production.
                  I think this is because meaningful production rarely changes after a few years.

Players can change (positively or negatively) but the rate of change (particularily to the positive as this is what we tend to be more concerned with) decreases dramatically at a certain point.

This is both minutes based (ie. assuming someone has a decent sample size, there change in production from 20 minutes per game to 36 minutes per game is usually marginal on a per minutes basis) and seasons based. What does tend to offer significant change in production is role (usage, position etc) and ofcourse injuries.

I think Amir is a great example. His per minutes and % based numbers are very similar from his first year in Toronto (5th year in the NBA, but only 3rd year with any minutes of significance) and last season. Even though he is believed to be a very hard worker, saw a lot more floor time per game, and gained much more experience, all of which should conceivably impact his production we see very little change. The only season with a noteable change (and it should be noted the change is not exactly of a significant magnitude - ie. he didn't go from a good player to a bad player, but rather from a good player to a less good player) is in 2011/12 where he played a larger number of minutes as a C than his more traditional PF position.

Just a quick simple view using the 3 most common advanced stats (2009/10 to 2012/13)

PER - 16.7, 17.6, 14.4, 17.3
                  WS/48 - .150, .146, .122, .151
                  WP/48 - .198, .192, .188, .216

Those are very narrow ranges of change over time, particularily if we account for his role/position change (ie. more C) in 2010/11

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

some nice moves there

Comment

I totally agree. Novak is a weapon which I hope Casey has full intent on using. It's been a long while since we've had an elite shooter. He's not a great rebounder but there is pretty decent size between he and Gay at the 3 and 4 positions, so hopefully we're not losing too much on the glass having them out there together. Obviously it would make more sense to have better shooting at SG, and have a legit PF out there, but this should lead to some interesting line up's.

Comment

We need more Simpsons-themed avatars up in this bizatch!
                        I'll be sure to switch it up every now and then..... there's just too many good characters out there.

....in fact, next time you see me post there may be something new.
                        "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
                          I'll be sure to switch it up every now and then..... there's just too many good characters out there.

....in fact, next time you see me post there may be something new.
                          Haha nice. Mine was feeling a little stale too....

Comment

I just saw a recent pic of Lowry and dude looks SKINNY now.

http://instagram.com/p/bvPMwXo48d/#
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              I just saw a recent pic of Lowry and dude looks SKINNY now.

http://instagram.com/p/bvPMwXo48d/#
                              Must be that damn stomach virus going around....

Hope his motivation isn't solely based on a contract year.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                                I think this is because meaningful production rarely changes after a few years.

Players can change (positively or negatively) but the rate of change (particularily to the positive as this is what we tend to be more concerned with) decreases dramatically at a certain point.

This is both minutes based (ie. assuming someone has a decent sample size, there change in production from 20 minutes per game to 36 minutes per game is usually marginal on a per minutes basis) and seasons based. What does tend to offer significant change in production is role (usage, position etc) and ofcourse injuries.

I think Amir is a great example. His per minutes and % based numbers are very similar from his first year in Toronto (5th year in the NBA, but only 3rd year with any minutes of significance) and last season. Even though he is believed to be a very hard worker, saw a lot more floor time per game, and gained much more experience, all of which should conceivably impact his production we see very little change. The only season with a noteable change (and it should be noted the change is not exactly of a significant magnitude - ie. he didn't go from a good player to a bad player, but rather from a good player to a less good player) is in 2011/12 where he played a larger number of minutes as a C than his more traditional PF position.

Just a quick simple view using the 3 most common advanced stats (2009/10 to 2012/13)

PER - 16.7, 17.6, 14.4, 17.3
                                WS/48 - .150, .146, .122, .151
                                WP/48 - .198, .192, .188, .216

Those are very narrow ranges of change over time, particularily if we account for his role/position change (ie. more C) in 2010/11
                                I'm not disagreeing with the above, but it is also about the other guys in the league, it's not like they aren't working out. Things are relative as well, Lowry may be working harder this offseason compared to what he normally does, but there are tons of guys in the league who work out like crazy every offseason. Also, is he working smarter, or just harder? To what extent will his hard work translate into production on the court, is it possible that others could work less-hard but have better results? and of course everything else that was mentioned above.

Obviously it's much better to hear that he's "working out like crazy" as opposed to "eating out like crazy", but I'm sure every team has at LEAST one or two guys who hardcore fans are talking about in the same way. At the end of the day it just evens out.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X