Marvel v DC: Superhero Movies Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    You think? I understood every word that she said. Lol I guess we'll see!
    Maybe it is just me but her accent, together with the wooden and oddly paced delivery, make the words incomprehensible to me.

Here's the thing: how many women have carried a feature length, action/sci-fi/fantasy movie? I can think of four: Sigourney Weaver (Alien and Aliens), Linda Hamilton (Terminator, T2), Angelina Jolie (event though those Tomb Raider movies were awful), Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games). Now, there may be more, but the list is pretty short and it's a list of pretty accomplished actresses.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Maybe it is just me but her accent, together with the wooden and oddly paced delivery, make the words incomprehensible to me.

Here's the thing: how many women have carried a feature length, action/sci-fi/fantasy movie? I can think of four: Sigourney Weaver (Alien and Aliens), Linda Hamilton (Terminator, T2), Angelina Jolie (event though those Tomb Raider movies were awful), Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games). Now, there may be more, but the list is pretty short and it's a list of pretty accomplished actresses.
      Fair points, but when was the last time Wonder Woman was a thing? Lol And it could also be argued that all 4 of them weren't "accomplished" really until those very films.

Not to mention, in this day and age of Feminism and empowering women, this is one of the few that is actually focused and geared towards the female demographic (all Hunger Games), but many males will end up seeing because it actually looks pretty badass, and many adults will see because many grew up liking Wonder Woman. I think it'll manage to do pretty well for itself actually.

Comment

Fair points, but when was the last time Wonder Woman was a thing? Lol And it could also be argued that all 4 of them weren't "accomplished" really until those very films.

Not to mention, in this day and age of Feminism and empowering women, this is one of the few that is actually focused and geared towards the female demographic (all Hunger Games), but many males will end up seeing because it actually looks pretty badass, and many adults will see because many grew up liking Wonder Woman. I think it'll manage to do pretty well for itself actually.
        I don't really want to get into this discussion much, but accent aside the woman really was terrible in the recent batman/superman flick. Needs some serious acting lessons. The issue with her is she is not a trained actress. There aren't hordes of women action/sci fi stars that come to mind, but most of the ones I can remember were actresses, not models. I expect she'll try to improve and train more as her career goes on, but yeah, she was completely awful.

You talk about message to women since WW is the strong female character in DC, but what kind of message is it that the person cast was clearly given the role entirely on physical appearance and not at all on merit as an actress?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

You talk about message to women since WW is the strong female character in DC, but what kind of message is it that the person cast was clearly given the role entirely on physical appearance and not at all on merit as an actress?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          she isn't the worst wonderwoman i have ever seen. did anyone else see that super shitty pilot for a live action show? i don't mind her acting, i read comic books where the delivery is in my head and the faces are still. for a wonder woman the appearance has to be right. i think they wanted international appeal. captain america and superman are pretty american centric. even though she is dressed in red white and blue wonderwoman is foreign.

if you guys watch comicgirl 19 videos on youtube she has a pretty good argument for women superheroes. she wants them ripped up, ala linda hamilton, which i agree with.

i am going to watch it, most likely several times and then i will spend days watching every dc film in chronological order, just like i do with star wars, marvel, lord of the rings etc.

my one problem with the trailer is i wanted hades and the movie to take place in themyscira. i am hopeful that we will see a lot of the amazons while chris pine heals up. a sneak peak of big barda would be great too.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            she isn't the worst wonderwoman i have ever seen. did anyone else see that super shitty pilot for a live action show? i don't mind her acting, i read comic books where the delivery is in my head and the faces are still. for a wonder woman the appearance has to be right. i think they wanted international appeal. captain america and superman are pretty american centric. even though she is dressed in red white and blue wonderwoman is foreign.

if you guys watch comicgirl 19 videos on youtube she has a pretty good argument for women superheroes. she wants them ripped up, ala linda hamilton, which i agree with.

i am going to watch it, most likely several times and then i will spend days watching every dc film in chronological order, just like i do with star wars, marvel, lord of the rings etc.

my one problem with the trailer is i wanted hades and the movie to take place in themyscira. i am hopeful that we will see a lot of the amazons while chris pine heals up. a sneak peak of big barda would be great too.
            The bold isn't the issue. Of course you want them to look like superheroes. But even Linda Hamilton was not ripped for the first Terminator. She got ripped for T2, where her character was quite a bit different than at the start of the series.

The issue is whether Gal Gadot was cast entirely because of how she looks, and not how well she'll play the part. I guess the biggest wildcard in all this is the writing was so incredibly awful in Batman v Superman that with better writing for WW maybe she'll seem a lot better.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              The bold isn't the issue. Of course you want them to look like superheroes. But even Linda Hamilton was not ripped for the first Terminator. She got ripped for T2, where her character was quite a bit different than at the start of the series.

The issue is whether Gal Gadot was cast entirely because of how she looks, and not how well she'll play the part. I guess the biggest wildcard in all this is the writing was so incredibly awful in Batman v Superman that with better writing for WW maybe she'll seem a lot better.
              you won't care but back a few pages i disagree with the perception of batman vs superman being bad or not following along the comics. i enjoyed the movie and the exploration of superman as a human. i didn't like cgi doomsday though. my favourite wonder woman comics are all based off her in themyscira not so much new york. what beautiful, built woman can you name right now with fantastic acting chops? i panned batfleck before watching the movie, thought he did old bitter batman great though.

Comment

you won't care but back a few pages i disagree with the perception of batman vs superman being bad or not following along the comics. i enjoyed the movie and the exploration of superman as a human. i didn't like cgi doomsday though. my favourite wonder woman comics are all based off her in themyscira not so much new york. what beautiful, built woman can you name right now with fantastic acting chops? i panned batfleck before watching the movie, thought he did old bitter batman great though.
                I don't care about following the comics. I also thought it was better than I thought it would be, and liked it more than Man of Steel, which I thought was awful.

I should've been more specific and said script or dialogue. So many cringeworthy lines. Worsened so many scenes. I feel like the awful script was the biggest problem. It hurt to listen to some of the crap that came out of the speakers.

Comment

• got my hands on batman vs superman extended version today. theatrical release cut out all of clark kent, almost all of the depth of lex's manipulation of the situation.

Comment

got my hands on batman vs superman extended version today. theatrical release cut out all of clark kent, almost all of the depth of lex's manipulation of the situation.
                    How much longer is the extended version?

#ThisSoundsDirty

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      How much longer is the extended version?

#ThisSoundsDirty
                      run time was 3 hours 2 minutes

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dx4wD4TTyk

early screening review of suicide squad. i have to wait until september for china release. guy says joker was good.

Comment

First off, for those who don't know, the Suicide Squad "is an antihero team of incarcerated supervillains who act as deniable assets for the United States government, undertaking high-risk black ops missions in exchange for commuted prison sentences". Ripped that from Wikipedia.

Set for release just after Batman vs. Superman (SS is Aug. 5th 2016 and BvS is March 2016).
                          They'll likely be set in the same "universe", therefore its not unlikely to think that the stories will be related/intertwined.

For the casting, we've got...

Jared Leto as Joker -
                          Will Smith as Deadshot -
                          Tom Hardy as Rick Flagg -
                          Margot Robbie (Wolf of Wall Street) as Harley Quinn -
                          Apparently the Joker isn't normally a member, but with Harley Quinn being a constant, it makes sense ... I think Leto could DOMINATE this role. I think he's made for it actually. Brilliant bit of casting here in my opinion.

Smith is an interesting cast, but I think it could be really cool.

Hardy is awesome as anything. Even Bane ... Lol

Thoughts? I'm pretty pumped about this, and a little bit curious with how they manage the story line.

Any DC fans out there that can enlighten us some more?
                          Funny to think how far the Suicide Squad movie has come since I made this first post about it. Hahah Its gotta be one of the most hyped movies of all time, and likely to fully deliver as well.

Comment

• Early reviews of Suicide Squad are not good.

I have tix to an advance screening tonight and may or may not be able to go. If I make it, I will let you know what it's like tomorrow.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Early reviews of Suicide Squad are not good.

I have tix to an advance screening tonight and may or may not be able to go. If I make it, I will let you know what it's like tomorrow.
                              I'll be going on Friday. Very much looking forward to it.

Comment

I'll be going on Friday. Very much looking forward to it.
                                It's a bit of a mess but it's more fun than the other recent DC movies. Of course, I did not like either of the last two DC movies, so I'm not sure whether my view of this movie is skewed positively or negatively because of that. I do think you need to be a fan of these particular DC movies, though, or you won't like this. We went with another couple and my wife and them hated - absolutely hated - this film. My wife actually left 2/3s through cause she was physically ill from the noise and the visuals.

The general audience reaction leaving seemed to be fairly positive, though. I heard a couple people grumbling but I think the target audience mostly liked it from what I could tell. Will be very interesting to hear the word of mouth on this cause I think there will be wildly varying opinions from people on this movie.....

Comment

Working...
                                X