Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBA Americas Tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Default FIBA Americas Tournament

Ummm...
    Quote NBA.com wrote:
    Four NBA players lead a roster of Americans heading to FIBA Americas Championship

TORONTO (AP) -- Cleveland Cavaliers power forward Tristan Thompson will lead Canada's men's basketball team at the upcoming FIBA Americas Championship as one of four NBA players on the team. The squad also includes Miami center Joel Anthony, San Antonio point guard Cory Joseph and Orlando forward Andrew Nicholson. It's the first time Canada has had four NBA regulars on its team in a FIBA competition.

A total of seven players return from the 2011 team, which was knocked out of the second round of the Americas qualifying tournament for the 2012 London Olympics. Forwards Anthony Bennett, the first overall pick in the 2013 draft, and Kelly Olynyk will not be available due to injury.

The FIBA Americas Championship is a qualifying tournament for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain. Canada's first game is Friday against Jamaica in Caracas, Venezuela.
    Source
    Now I don't usually get all up-in-arms over these 'slights' by the American Media... but this is just ridiculous. Lol
    In Masai we Trust.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Technically Canadians are Americans....

3. Like LBF liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NBA.com calls Canadian National team "Americans" .. honest mistake.

Where does it say America's team?
    EDIT: scratch that I see what you meant now.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NBA doesn't have proof-readers when it comes to Canada.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if it was one of those situations where you're thinking of a word ahead, and end up tying it inadvertently. Like the author was thinking of "Americas" referring to the tournament, and type Americans by accident.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Technically Canadians are Americans....
    That's news to me.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    That's news to me.
    Canada is part of North America...

9. Like LBF, enlightenment liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is, but Canada is huge country and every human being who born in Canada not only deserves to be called Canadian but they are Canadians!

11. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it off topic to talk about that teams performance at the Tuto Marchand Cup in Puerto Rico on the weekend? It's a warm up for Friday's FIBA Americas tournament that starts on Friday. The SNT has lost all three games so far. The effort is there but the outcomes are giving me a scare.

There are lots of pluses, notably Tristan Thompson's offensive rebounding but the offense is predictable and has no flow and the defense is having difficulty with perimeter coverage. Argentina and the Dominican were getting many wide open looks from 3 point territory. Canada lost by 6 to the DR which is without Al Horford and they were sitting out two of their best roster players in Francisco Garcia and Jack Michael Martinez.

Post Thanks / Like

Right. Boliva and Peru are also part of "the Americas" in that sense.

But when people see/hear "America", I assume most associate it with the United States of America

EDIT: I'm fairly certain no Brazilian has even been referred to as American

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is clearly just incompetence. The only question it makes me ask is "can I have this idiot's job? or his editor's?". Seriously, just sad that this got published without noticing such a pathetic mistake.

15. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Is it off topic to talk about that teams performance at the Tuto Marchand Cup in Puerto Rico on the weekend? It's a warm up for Friday's FIBA Americas tournament that starts on Friday. The SNT has lost all three games so far. The effort is there but the outcomes are giving me a scare.

There are lots of pluses, notably Tristan Thompson's offensive rebounding but the offense is predictable and has no flow and the defense is having difficulty with perimeter coverage. Argentina and the Dominican were getting many wide open looks from 3 point territory. Canada lost by 6 to the DR which is without Al Horford and they were sitting out two of their best roster players in Francisco Garcia and Jack Michael Martinez.
    I'll bite since I haven't seen any threads on the SNT and it's the only relevant basketball going on right now. I'm actually more optimistic than worried. We haven't won any of those games but we've been close in all of them. This tournament is all about tweaking the roster and seeing who fits and who doesn't so a lot of the lineups and minutes will not be the same once we get to FIBA. The clear weakness of the team is wing/guard play. The 1, 2, and 3 are being manned by guys who aren't quite as good as their international counterparts. Once we get Wiggins, Bennett, and Olynyk to join the team we'll have a lot more scoring options which is what is missing right now. Tristan is great but you can't count on him for more than 12-15 points a night. Nicholson is great but needs to not be the #1 offensive option (which he apparently is right now) to be efficient. Cory Joseph has been pretty disappointing. Hopefully we have some young Canadian PG's in the pipeline (Kevin Pangos perhaps?) who could take the pressure off him and let him settle into his more natural backup PG role. Overall I am more pumped for Canada Mens Basketball than I have been in my entire life. I got excited for Dalembert joining the team so I'm over the moon with all of the truly talented youngsters signing up to play for Canada.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

meh, either honest incompetence or NBA.com people have known for a long time that something controversial written about Raptors or Canada will create traffic/activity/attention by the boatload.

Post Thanks / Like

The roster is pretty disappointing. No English, Kris Joseph, Olynyk, Bennett..... Not the team anyone thought they would have. Still, better than most Canadian teams in recent memory. They are actually okay up front but the perimeter doesn't look great.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But when people see/hear "America", I assume most associate it with the United States of America

My Brazilian wife would very strongly disagree with you. She hates it when people use "American" or "America" to refer to only the USA.

(incidentally: in Brazilian schools, North and South America aren't different continents; there's just the one continent called "America".)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    The roster is pretty disappointing. No English, Kris Joseph, Olynyk, Bennett..... Not the team anyone thought they would have. Still, better than most Canadian teams in recent memory. They are actually okay up front but the perimeter doesn't look great.
    Kris Joseph is on the roster, just hasn't been playing much. Bennett and Olynyk are injured so they couldn't play. I think it's the same with English, which is really too bad as he's the one long time SNT member that I actually want to stay part of the squad. We are also desperate for some scoring from the guards and English would have fit the bill nicely.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I'll bite since I haven't seen any threads on the SNT and it's the only relevant basketball going on right now. I'm actually more optimistic than worried. We haven't won any of those games but we've been close in all of them. This tournament is all about tweaking the roster and seeing who fits and who doesn't so a lot of the lineups and minutes will not be the same once we get to FIBA. The clear weakness of the team is wing/guard play. The 1, 2, and 3 are being manned by guys who aren't quite as good as their international counterparts. Once we get Wiggins, Bennett, and Olynyk to join the team we'll have a lot more scoring options which is what is missing right now. Tristan is great but you can't count on him for more than 12-15 points a night. Nicholson is great but needs to not be the #1 offensive option (which he apparently is right now) to be efficient. Cory Joseph has been pretty disappointing. Hopefully we have some young Canadian PG's in the pipeline (Kevin Pangos perhaps?) who could take the pressure off him and let him settle into his more natural backup PG role. Overall I am more pumped for Canada Mens Basketball than I have been in my entire life. I got excited for Dalembert joining the team so I'm over the moon with all of the truly talented youngsters signing up to play for Canada.
    Long term, there's no question we should all be excited about the prospects, but for this upcoming qualifier, it could be a little tough.
    - Wiggins, Olynyk, Bennett aren't there this time
    - The wing positions are weak. Carl English (injury) would have been a big boost there. Many year veteran of the team, extensive international experience and a scorer, but what can you do?
    - Losing Kyle Landry will hurt, as it leaves them a little thin for bodies up front, and with an insanely compact tourny schedule, ugh
    - A lot of inexperience with the young guys, but these warm-ups, and the real tournament itself, will be huge for these guys down the line.

That being said, Triano knows all about the international game, and these tournaments. Part of the "game" is usually not showing your whole hand in these warm-up games. Also I noticed Triano distributed minutes all over the place in these warm-ups, which I'm sure will be different when the real games start.
    Last edited by p00ka; Mon Aug 26th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Olynyk is ready to produce right now after 4 years at Gonzaga plus two previous stints on the SNT. With Wiggins and Bennett, I the am not sure how much they would be ready to help as an 18 and 19 year old. They are likely a year or two away from being major contributors to this team.

It's the point guard that runs the offense and therein lies Canada's weakness. Nash was the pg when the program was last going well and way back in the day Eli Pasquale was a very efficient as a playmaker. The development of Tyler Ennis is more important than almost any other player in the Canadian national team pipeline. Pangos could be interchangeable with the role Brady Hislip has with this team. Great shooter but not athletic in terms of this level of competition. He did not get an invite to tryout as far as I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Olynyk is ready to produce right now after 4 years at Gonzaga plus two previous stints on the SNT. With Wiggins and Bennett, I the am not sure how much they would be ready to help as an 18 and 19 year old. They are likely a year or two away from being major contributors to this team.

It's the point guard that runs the offense and therein lies Canada's weakness. Nash was the pg when the program was last going well and way back in the day Eli Pasquale was a very efficient as a playmaker. The development of Tyler Ennis is more important than almost any other player in the Canadian national team pipeline. Pangos could be interchangeable with the role Brady Hislip has with this team. Great shooter but not athletic in terms of this level of competition. He did not get an invite to tryout as far as I know.
    Everything is building towards the 2016 Olympics, and it's really nice to know we should have 7+ NBA players on the team by then. Guys like Thompson and Nicholson will be ready to step up as team leaders by then since they'll have 3 years of SNT under their belt. We are currently ranked #26 in the world and I'm sure we will improve upon that after FIBA.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    My Brazilian wife would very strongly disagree with you. She hates it when people use "American" or "America" to refer to only the USA.

(incidentally: in Brazilian schools, North and South America aren't different continents; there's just the one continent called "America".)
    I'm inclined to agree with tkfu, my dad's partner is from peru (although by way of china) and usually tells people she came from south america, as opposed to specifically peru.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Thread Information