Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: FIBA Americas Tournament

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I'm with the people mentioning continent..it's really not incorrect for them to be called "americans" in this context..it just seems to stupid of an "honest mistake", to be one.
    But since NBA.com corrected it to now say "Canadians" it clearly WAS a mistake, and it is INCORRECT for the Canadian National Team to be called anything but Canadian. That's the end of that conversation. LOL
    In Masai we Trust.

2. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I'm with the people mentioning continent..it's really not incorrect for them to be called "americans" in this context..it just seems to stupid of an "honest mistake", to be one.
    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    But since NBA.com corrected it to now say "Canadians" it clearly WAS a mistake, and it is INCORRECT for the Canadian National Team to be called anything but Canadian. That's the end of that conversation. LOL
    The title of the article wouldn't make any sense if they actually meant the continent, since there are more than 4 NBAers from North/South America in this tournament.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I've had more time to think about it..it just doesn't seem like an honest mistake..seems like the writer was trying to be witty.. and just failed..got published, nobody got it and so it was changed.

Regardless, just a boneheaded move..haha
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

ESPN ranks Canada as the likely #4 in the Tournament, which is exactly where they need to finish to make it to the World Cup in Spain next year.

Quote ESPN wrote:
    4. CANADA

Canada has not performed particularly well in FIBA ball over the past few years. Much of its problems stem from a serious lack of offensive talent. Without dribble penetrators and anyone who could create offense in the interior the past few years, it's easy to see why the Maple Leafers have been incredibly easy to guard. Canada has been so desperate for scoring that it has resorted to feeding Joel Anthony in the post at times.

But Steve Nash has taken over GM duties for his country's squad and installed his buddy Jay Triano to lead the resurgence.

A World Cup bid might have been a lock if it had all of its stars on hand in Caracas, but Anthony Bennett and Kelly Olynyk are sitting out with injuries, and young stud Andrew Wiggins is beginning his fall semester at Kansas. Still, one of Canada's advantages this summer is its depth, which is on par with Brazil and Puerto Rico.

While dribble penetration remains a problem -- Cory Joseph is not really a creative playmaker -- the team's offense should be improved somewhat this summer with the starting frontcourt duo of Tristan Thompson and Andrew Nicholson taking on larger roles. Thompson's low-post game is still a work in progress, but it's evolving. Nicholson has a clever post game and can also step away from the painted area.

Behind them, Anthony provides a nice defensive presence and can even score a bit around the rim. Levon Kendall is a quality role player who plays tough positional post defense, sets hard picks, runs the floor and can occasionally knock down short jumpers.

Shooting guards Andy Rautins and Brady Heslip are both dangerous from outside and will run off plenty of screens. But the small forward position is a bit unsettled after the recent exit of Carl English, who has been Canada's best offensive option since Nash left. Canada will turn to Aaron Doornekamp and Jevohn Shepherd to fill the void.

This team has the makings of a good defensive unit with Cory Joseph leading at the point of attack, though Coach Triano is not known for getting players to dig in defensively.

Canada really needs to qualify this summer because a wild-card berth might not be easy to get with the way it has underperformed over the past few years.
    Source
    Let's hope they're right!
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 30th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuck. Fuck.

Canada just been buried by the refs in the 4th quarter. At least Nicholson had great game tonight.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Fuck. Fuck.

Canada just been buried by the refs in the 4th quarter. At least Nicholson had great game tonight.
    Sorry I can't agree. Puerto Rico outplayed Canada in the 4th, especially on defense. The breakaway fouls were fouls in the FIBA game and when Arroyo kicks out on 3 point shots drawing contact, international refs typically call the foul unlike the NBA. Berea, Arroyo, and Balkman were the difference, not the refs.

Solid games from Thompson and Nicholson.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not having watched the game, but looking at the boxscore, Canada wasn't taking and making its 3 point shots. We need Heslip and Joseph to have decent shooting games, so were not reliant on Thompson and Nicholson to carry us. I hope we can finish 4th in the tournament.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone know where i can download the Fiba games. I missed the first two vs Jamaica and Brazil
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

They played Puerto Rico also.

Raptors Republic Rookie OldSchool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    They played Puerto Rico also.
    So does anyone have any links to these games?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSchool wrote: View Post
    So does anyone have any links to these games?
    You can thank LBF for finding this
    http://www.livebasketball.tv/
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada is looking strong in the Fiba Americas. I think we're the 3rd best team and could win it all the way we've been playing lately. Seems like Corey Joseph has found his groove and is playing awesome. We just demolished Brazil, Uruguay, and Jamaica, and barely lost to Puerto Rico on a late collapse. I like our chances in the 2nd round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Canada is looking strong in the Fiba Americas. I think we're the 3rd best team and could win it all the way we've been playing lately. Seems like Corey Joseph has found his groove and is playing awesome. We just demolished Brazil, Uruguay, and Jamaica, and barely lost to Puerto Rico on a late collapse. I like our chances in the 2nd round.
    All remaining teams play 4 days in a row starting tomorrow. Canada, being among the youngest teams in Caracas, are in a good position to qualify for Spain next year.

Levon Kendall, and Tristan Thompson have been dominating on the boards. Andrew Nicholson has been scoring inside and out.
    Last edited by stretch; Wed Sep 4th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So if we Qualify for the official summer Olympics next year can Bennett and Wiggins be a part of that team or no? I'm not too familiar with how Fiba works since i don't usually get a chance to watch it much.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Summer Olympics are 2016, next summer is FIBA worlds. But yes, you can declare your roster for each tournament. Most of the strong teams like Argentina and Brazil are okay with their stars skipping a tournament like the Americas, because they can include them in the big tournament the following summer (and because their ranking gives them an excellent shot at a wildcard berth even if they miss qualifying).

So for Canada, if the make the worlds, they'll have another selection camp next summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Summer Olympics are 2016, next summer is FIBA worlds. But yes, you can declare your roster for each tournament. Most of the strong teams like Argentina and Brazil are okay with their stars skipping a tournament like the Americas, because they can include them in the big tournament the following summer (and because their ranking gives them an excellent shot at a wildcard berth even if they miss qualifying).

So for Canada, if the make the worlds, they'll have another selection camp next summer.
    Dope. Wiggs and Bennett better be there, this team is gonna be beast!

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada just crushed Mexico today, all but guaranteeing a top 4 finish as Mexico was our main competition for the 3rd-4th spot.

Final Score 89-67.

Corey Joseph had another amazing game and is really emerging in this tournament (17pts, 8reb, 6ast). Thompson and Nicholson were also solid, and we got great contributions from non-NBA'ers Rautins (19pts, 4-6 3pt) and Heslip (21pts, 5-8 3pt). Our guard play worried me in the warmup games but the guards have looked great in the actual tournament.

Next up is Venezuela tomorrow, another team which could potentially place top 4, so if we crush them as well then I give us a great shot of winning the whole thing.

19. Like Nilanka, Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for these updates Primer!!
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I reading the standings correctly..?
    If Canada wins against Venezuala tonight, and Puerto Rico loses to Dominican Republic; then Canada is in First Place?? Or tied for First anyway?
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I reading the standings correctly..?
    If Canada wins against Venezuala tonight, and Puerto Rico loses to Dominican Republic; then Canada is in First Place?? Or tied for First anyway?
    Yes. And point differential breaks ties. (Canada's currently +53, PR is +60, so unless both games were extremely close, Canada would be in first.)

Thread Information